Libyan Transit Visa for South Africans

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WarthogARJ

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS HP2
Hello WD's,
Does anyone have have any firm facts on a South African passport holder getting a Libyan Transit Visa?
I have read SOMEWHERE that it's easier to get a visa with an RSA passport.

I know from first hand experience that it is for Algeria, but I don't know about Libya.

Normally you have to apply thru a Libyan touring agency and travel with a guide if you go inland.
I think the coastal road can be done with a transit visa.

I will call the Embassy in either France or Canada (there isn't one in the Netherlands).
But wanted to see if anyone had any info.

Second question, is I read on a forum (HUBB or Adv Riders) about some SAfrikans who got transit visas and then just went where they wanted to: without a guide. Naughty buggers.

I'm looking at routes down the East Side of Africa, and one way is ferry to Tunis, then Libya, Egypt, Sudan etc.
I think can do the Libya coastal road on just a Transit Visa: am asking about that.

But I wanted to see if anyone had pushed their luck a bit and what they'd found.
I don't want to do any wild off piste travelling, but maybe a bit off the main coastal road would be interesting.

Thanks,
Alan Jarvis

Latest posts