Little Red Rebuild

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharingroads

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
DKW (all models)
After much planning and many discussions with various people I decided the time is right to get a practice bike or two for sand, but also decided to choose a bike which is a legend, and also a bike that I can relate to.

Narrowed my choices down to Honda XR200, Kawasaki KDX and Suzuki RM.

The one that stood out the most was the Honda XR200R. Model 1983 to 1998.
I scanned the normal scumtree sites and finally found one in the cape, and had a dear friend go look at it on my behalf. We decided that it is a good deal, also getting a bit of spares with it and I got busy with the negotiations.

At this moment the project is on-route to Gauteng, and should be here tomorrow, latest Tuesday at my house.

Project:
1982 Honda XR200
Km: Unknown
Condition: Fair
From photos, which will be posted soon, it is complete, missing only the little aluminium bash plate, and it has an after market pipe.

Project details:
Next Sunday – take it to the quarry to play a bit, obviously missing the power of the F, but being light and purpose build it should be tons of fun.
After that I will start getting it ready for the rebuild.
The main aim is to restore it 100% original, while still having a cheapish toy to play with.

Frame colour – Honda R119* Ordered.
Sticker kit – Custom made to original speck.
Engine – Gloss black high heat (Waiting for Honda to confirm colour code)
Swing arm – Silver – Waiting for Honda to confirm colour code)
Seat – Looks good in pics, need to recover original black with XR logo printed – need to source leather printer.
Header pipe ceramic coated – in plans when the time is right.
6v LED Indicators and horn kit – trying to find(need to confirm 6v or 12v first)
Plastic restore without spray paint – hell I have no idea how to do this.

Hand in hand with this project I also need to finish the Stoetmobile for easy transport to playing fields, until I get her on the road.

Yes she must be road legal, and going to try and register her as a vintage (30 years and older) but it might be from date of first registration which will then not work.

So if you paid attention you will note this is outside the years I was looking for. Main difference on cosmetics is the 1983 model had a different seat and tank. Those are the ones I really liked while I was in school. Kind of the “when I grow up I want one of those” so it is in the pipeline as the next one to move into our commune for scooters.

Any help will be appreciated from guys who owned, rebuild or have any interest in the babies.
Manuals, spares, tools and advice always welcome.

Today I will prepare the workshop so that I have easy access while I work, and the small fridge needs to move to workshop for refreshment.