Living the Dream Solo Around the World Trip

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Coxwain said:
Dammm ....I just want to give that 660 a big hug ..

Great trip report ...following with great interest  :thumleft:
Really reliable little bike for all the hammering it took so far. I love her more every day

Xpat said:
Ian in Great Brak River said:
Ethiopia seems unfriedly in comparison with other central African countries, this seems to be a common issue here, is it advisable to no go via Addis at all on your way through? Will this be worthwhile?

Ian, do you mean to avoid Ethiopia, or just Addis?

I wouldn't avoid either - yes you get more hassle than in other African countries (at least east coast wise) and they are quite rough around the edges, but IMO it is probably the most interesting African country - at least on the east coast. As the only African country with ancient Christian history (unlike any other African countries, where the Christianity was brought by whiteys much later) which gives it very different character. It is also at the border between northern semitic (I think) people and black Africans further south, which makes for some interesting contrasts as the south is very different from north. And it has beautiful nature, as half of it is on high plateau with mountains just like Drakensberg (just bigger), and half desert with some of the most outlandish sceneries on the planed (Danakil Depression, which I idiotically missed).

Sorry for hijack Schalk - I wanted to ask, you have missed Somalia that you were contemplating at the beginning of the trip. Could you please let us know how does the situation look like there in terms of travel? Thank you and thanks for the report.
I agree to what you say above. You are not hijacking, this thread is open to all. I am running out of time with my Egyptian Visa that is why I can not go to Somalia. Spoke to Flavio and he reckons there are parts of Somalia that is quite safe. Coming from RSA the whole of Africa feels safer than home

Ethiopia seems unfriedly in comparison with other central African countries, this seems to be a common issue here, is it advisable to no go via Addis at all on your way through? Will this be worthwhile?
I want to experience all, good and bad to get the real feel of Africa

Dragonfly-XC said:
:sip: Hi Schalk, ek ry saam, thanks, mag alles goed gaan op die res van jouy roete.
Alles gaan baie goed net DHL wat nie hulle kant bring met die tyres nie. Hulle kos my al 10 dae en baie geld

Man from Nam said:
Hi Schalk jy vorder baie goed :thumleft:
Ek wil ook nog in my lewe die hooglande daar besoek en Lalibela is 'n moet. Ek het dit gesien op Voetspore en dit is ongelooflik om te dink hulle het al daardie kerke uit soliede rots gekap.
Geniet en veilig ry :)
Ja man dit is besonders en die pad van Addis na Lalibela is 'n bikers se droom behalwe al die diere en mense op die pad.

Xpat said:
Schalk, just out of interest - did Jungle Junction move? When I was there 10 year ago it was not close to the KTM shop at all (and that shop looks exactly the same - including owner as at that time) and looked quite different. Like so:

060118%252520140-011.jpg

And a small aside - if I remember correctly, name of the owner of Jungle Junction is Chris, not Carl.

I had the same experience as you with Ethiopians  - they were by far the least friendly Africans I've met on my way down. I was very surprised, as I had this image of quiet suffering in my head fostered by all those Band Aid monster things - in reality they were quite aggressive and did not hesitate to pick up a fight (not with me - except for few insults here and there). That said, Ethiopia is definitely probably the most interesting and diverse country on this trip, so enjoy it to the fullest.

Safe travel.
Hi Xpat yes Jungle Juntion has moved to a Suburb called Karen two years ago. Yes you get people who shout at you when you ride past and kids in the north that throw you with stones but then I also met some very nice people as well.

Xpat said:
schalk vd merwe said:
1st Photo  Carl the no nonsense German owner of Jungle Junction and his very friendly and helpful Kenyan wi

Yep, that is Chris - unless I'm getting Alzheimer. The wife though is definitely different lady ...  ;D
Same wife for 12 years

Baie mooi RR sover Schalk! Baie dankie vir die deel.
Het jy by JJ Hotel gebly in Marsabit?
Die Krater was bietjie groener toe ek daar deur is!
Het jy nie van die Turkana mense gesien nie?

Attachments

• Jay Jay resturant in Marsabit (2).jpg
    Jay Jay resturant in Marsabit (2).jpg
    147.4 KB
  • Marsabit Crater (5).jpg
    Marsabit Crater (5).jpg
    202.5 KB
  • Turkana people (5).jpg
    Turkana people (5).jpg
    84.5 KB
Hillman said:
Baie mooi RR sover Schalk! Baie dankie vir die deel.
Het jy by JJ Hotel gebly in Marsabit?
Die Krater was bietjie groener toe ek daar deur is!
Het jy nie van die Turkana mense gesien nie?
Ek kan nie die hotel se naam onthou nie maar dit is so 2km nadat ek deur die dorp was. Turkane gesien. Hoe ver op het jy gery ? dankie vir die belang stel.

Sorry vir die Hi-Jack Schalk, maar daai krater en die METEOR CRATER wat ek op my Route 66 trippie in Amerika gesien het lyk BAIE dieselfde.
Amazing om te sien hoe so 'n klippie 'n GROOT gat maak as hy ons tref.... wonder of ons een KZN se kant to kan stuur...  :peepwall: :imaposer:

Attachments

• DSC00407.jpg
    DSC00407.jpg
    61.3 KB
  • DSC00410.jpg
    DSC00410.jpg
    62.8 KB
  • DSC00412.jpg
    DSC00412.jpg
    57.8 KB
schalk vd merwe said:
Xpat said:

Ian, do you mean to avoid Ethiopia, or just Addis?

I wouldn't avoid either - yes you get more hassle than in other African countries (at least east coast wise) and they are quite rough around the edges, but IMO it is probably the most interesting African country - at least on the east coast. As the only African country with ancient Christian history (unlike any other African countries, where the Christianity was brought by whiteys much later) which gives it very different character. It is also at the border between northern semitic (I think) people and black Africans further south, which makes for some interesting contrasts as the south is very different from north. And it has beautiful nature, as half of it is on high plateau with mountains just like Drakensberg (just bigger), and half desert with some of the most outlandish sceneries on the planed (Danakil Depression, which I idiotically missed).

Sorry for hijack Schalk - I wanted to ask, you have missed Somalia that you were contemplating at the beginning of the trip. Could you please let us know how does the situation look like there in terms of travel? Thank you and thanks for the report.
I agree to what you say above. You are not hijacking, this thread is open to all. I am running out of time with my Egyptian Visa that is why I can not go to Somalia. Spoke to Flavio and he reckons there are parts of Somalia that is quite safe. Coming from RSA the whole of Africa feels safer than home

Thanks guys, following this one closely.

schalk vd merwe said:
I want to experience all, good and bad to get the real feel of Africa

Agreed, live life to the fullest.

Briljant!Kan sien jy geniet dit!
Sterkte met daai tyre and alles wat mooi is vorentoe. Dankie, geniet jou trippie saam met jou baie! :drif:

. . asb, net nie retire nie.
Is dit sommer daar ? Kan jy die voel , dis koel in PTA, in die middle van winter hier. 

Happyfeet said:
Briljant!Kan sien jy geniet dit!
Sterkte met daai tyre and alles wat mooi is vorentoe. Dankie, geniet jou trippie saam met jou baie! :drif:
:ricky:  :thumleft: