Living the Dream Solo Around the World Trip

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kids of Rawsonville

Attachments

• SAM_1548.JPG
    SAM_1548.JPG
    231.6 KB
Eugene and another WD member. I forget his name can someone please help with his name, he is also fro Johannesburg. I need to speak to him.

Attachments

• SAM_1561.JPG
    SAM_1561.JPG
    243.4 KB
Koedoes Kloof to Mosselbay and Orange Elephant

I left Koedoeskloof early as I wanted to travel gravel road to Mossel Bay.  At Ladismith I put fuel in the bike and who would I see here again?  David that I last saw in Hout Bay with his wife, just this time his wife was on her own bike.  We had a brief chat and then I was off towards Van Wyks Dorp.

At Van Wyks Dorp I dropped in at a cute little coffee shop for a cold drink. A lady there, one of the other guests saw my bike with all the stickers on.  She wanted to know if I have been to all the countries that I have a sticker for on the bike.

Then I was off again. I set the GPS to take me on gravel routes.  I went past the post office building that is now a café and then past the police station. This is the most beautiful police station in the whole country. As my GPS was set on the shortest route it took me by mistake through a farmer’s farm.  As I came again to the main road the farmer was busy to fix the gate. I could see he was not too happy about my trespassing and I apologized.  The reason that he was unhappy was that he farms with ostriches and if a bike comes past they tend to run into the fence. Point taken and I hid the main gravel road going over the mountains north.  I went over the beautiful Rooiberg Pass with wild colourful flower on the one side.  After the Pass there was a split in the road and I took the road to the right.  After a while I realized that I am on private land again as I had to open gate after gate and also close them all again.  After about 30 km since leaving the main gravel road I came to a river crossing (see photos).  It was quite rocky under the water with lots of small rocks but at least the water was fairly clear and I could see through the water. The water crossing was about 200 metre wide and I managed to make it across without falling.

I pushed on over some more mountains with beautiful scenery and eventually came out on tar a couple of kilometres before the Robinson Pass. From there going over the pass the scenery were so beautiful in the late afternoon and I took lots of photos.

That night I slept in Tergniet again close to Mossel Bay.  The next morning I was off towards Addo.  At George I stopped at the Yamaha dealer to buy a can of chain lube.  I was just ready to pull off again when someone switched my kill switch off from behind and said “Schalk vd Merwe you can’t leave without saying hello first”.  It was Jakkals also from the Wilddog Forum.  I was amazed once more that people knew me but I don’t know them.  We had a chat and then I hit the road again.

I went over the beautiful Outeniqua Pass and on to Uniondale. After Uniondale it was the beautiful passes again, a real bikers paradise.  After WIllowmore I turned onto a concrete road towards Steytlerville.  The concrete road is wide enough for one vehicle. When a vehicle approach from the front then both vehicle have to go off the road with 2 wheels. 
I travelled through Steytlerville, Baroe Wolwefontein, Kirkwood and then onto Addo.

I checked in at The Orange Elephant Back Packers which belong to John “Casting from Turd” on the WD forum.  Grant “Macsac” on the WD forum whom I met at Koedoeskloof made the Potjie for the evening dinner and can the man cook. Adrian Viviers “Hotwire” on the WD forum met up with us later in the evening. John the owner and his son played the guitar and did the singing and the pleasant evening was a winner around the bon fire.

The next morning when I wanted to pay the bill old John told me it was on the house for the old long distance traveller. Thank you John and let us support his Orange Elephant Back Packers in Addo near Port Elizabeth.

NEXT: UP TO DORSLAND CLOSE TO GRAAF REINET AND THEN THE LAST STRETCH HOME.

Latest posts