Living the Dream Solo Around the World Trip

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To all the bikes I’ve loved before
Who travelled in and out my garage door
I’m glad they came along
I dedicate this song

To all the bikes I once possesed
And may I say I’ve held the best
For helping me grow
I owe a lot I know
To all the bikes I loved before

The winds of change are always blowing
And every time I try to stay
The winds of change continue blowing
And they just carry me away

To all the bikes who shared my life
Who now are someone else’s pride
I’m glad they came along
I dedicate this song

To all the bikes who cared for me
Who filled my nights with ecstasy
They lived within my heart
I’ll always be a part
Of al the bikes I’ve loved before

My first bike a 1938 War model Harley Davidson with a foot clutch and a throttle on the left side to advance or retart the timing while you ride. I swapped a horse for this bike. I took possession of it in 1965 when I was 15. That was me on the bike, kaal voet and all.

Attachments

• My old bikes 003.jpg
    My old bikes 003.jpg
    422.1 KB
My 2nd bike. Not the one on the photo but similar, 90cc Honda. Bought a blue one new in 1969. I had a very serious accident later that year when a car skipped a stop street on the open road. My leg was nearly amputated then plus various other injuries. Spend 2 month in hospital and was walking cripple for 27 years after that. I came first in the schools cross country running in 1968 but after that accident it was the end of my running career. 

Attachments

• My old bikes 002.jpg
    My old bikes 002.jpg
    133.7 KB
My 3rd  bike. A Z1000 Kawasaki which I bought new in 1977. On the photo I was at Wilderness Southern Cape traveling solo to Cape Town from Johannesburg. The chicks use to dig my hair styles but not their dads. The bike was stolen after 5 months with 15 000km on the clock in JHB outside the movies in Market st. down town. Check the bell bottoms.

Attachments

• 313844_2578181533215_1872268821_n[1].jpg
    313844_2578181533215_1872268821_n[1].jpg
    138.3 KB
My 4th bike. A Yamaha 1100. Bought it new in 1978. Kept it for many years and travelled all over SA with it especially Eastern Transvaal then, Graskop, Sabie, Cape Town etc

Attachments

• 312727_2578213574016_1227703882_n[1].jpg
    312727_2578213574016_1227703882_n[1].jpg
    151.2 KB
My 5th bike a Yamaha FZR 1000cc .Grey import +/- 1992. What a nice bike. I still have it today. Not as fast as todays R1 but still good for about 280kmh. Still in concourse condition. When life gets to slow for me I go and wack it open.

Attachments

• 303161_2578364217782_1578246008_n[2].jpg
    303161_2578364217782_1578246008_n[2].jpg
    81.9 KB
My 6th bike 2004 model Yamaha xt 660 r which I bought in 2008. My son later took it over and the two of us travelled to the Equator and back on two of the same bikes on a 13 000km ride.

Attachments

• Solo through the Karoo 008.jpg
    Solo through the Karoo 008.jpg
    189.6 KB
My 7th bike a BMW replica of the war model. Looks cool but was to slow for me with a top end of only 80kmh. I sold it to help finance my Africa trip

Attachments

• Sidecar Bike 004.jpg
    Sidecar Bike 004.jpg
    365.4 KB
  • Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    361.6 KB
My 8th bike. What a machine. Travelled to the Equator and back in 2010 on a 13 000km trip. Then through Africa to Egypt and back on this 33 000 km trip last year. The bike has done 73 000km total to date. Colour was black before but I changed it to red in the meantime.

And that was all the bikes I loved before.

Attachments

• SAM_1533.JPG
    SAM_1533.JPG
    223.3 KB
Good luck Schalk, with the next leg of your trip!

Who travelled in and out my garage door
I’m glad they came along
I dedicate this song

To all the bikes I once possesed
And may I say I’ve held the best
For helping me grow
I owe a lot I know
To all the bikes I loved before

To all the bikes who shared my life
Who now are someone else’s pride
I’m glad they came along
I dedicate this song

To all the bikes who cared for me
Who filled my nights with ecstasy
They lived within my heart
I’ll always be a part
Of al the bikes I’ve loved before

Ai Schalk, jou lewensverhaal rondom jou fietse maak my groen van jaloesie! Dit klink absoluut awesome!

Tony the Boney said:
I bet you wish that you still had that Hardley Dangerous today!!
Hi Tony yes and can you belief it, I sold it for R 20-00 then. We use to call the bike a Harige Dawid then.

Just an update. Very hard at work on the book. A couple of problems with the soft ware. The book is going to consist of about 300 photos plus the full story. The complete book will be on gloss paper as some guys has suggested no cost should be spared although still affordable. Hope to have it out in less than a month. There after I am going to tour the country to distribute the book. Will start from East London down the coast to Cape town and then north. I hereby ask all the WD members who have followed the story to help me find a venue down the coat where we can have a get together and the distribution of the book in every town. Please let me know if you can help.
Next I would like to report on all the kit that I took along and the do's and don'ts of a trip like this. Till next time Schalk.

Hey Schalk ...you know where I live .....just say the word .  :thumleft: :thumleft:

Cape Town sorted .... :ricky:

Coxwain said:
Hey Schalk ...you know where I live .....just say the word .  :thumleft: :thumleft:

Cape Town sorted .... :ricky:
Hi Coxwain thanks very much that I can rely on you and thanks for the invite. Will definitely take you up on your offer. Thanks mate

Latest posts