London - MCN 2012 M/Cycle show

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goose

Grey Hound
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
Well it was that time again....... and I entered a competition about a month ago for some tickets ....... and won 2 Comps worth £50.00  :mwink:

So determined not to be the usual tourist, we decided to keep the camera stashed unless there was something really interesting to record.
Our first entry into the huge exhibition hall (actually tiny compared to EICMA) was just opposite the BMW stand where old Charlie Boorman was nattering to a group of gaga-mouthed followers....  ;)

I was sooo tempted to get my wife to pose with him so she could make bunny-ears behind his head for a pic.... but she declined  :-[

anyway - we only had a couple of hours and I specifically came to look for a Nolan helmet for DeonP, gloves for Jupiter and some other goodies I was hoping to find.

Sadly nobody had any Richa Magma gloves on sale (a shortage at the moment as it's winter and they consider them summer gloves  :-\) and no Nolan X-551's either...... in fact I did not get anything except the new TT 2012 catalog.......... oh wait - ran into a Met Cop who offers Bikesafe courses... nice chat and Jen & I walked away with a free goodie bag with all kinds of road-safety tools and a free rider/pillion course run by the Met Police for a whole day including lunch (woth another £50.00)  :thumleft:  and the best of all - I get a substantial discount off my Insurance premium for doing the course!  :biggrin:

so ......... on with the show.

As mentioned - we'll steele ourselves and only take pics of worthwhile bikes............ and it did not take long before we came across this beauty......  :pot:

oh jeez........ how does one explain or describe this...............  my wife nearly cracked up with laughter........ can you imagine what this will smell like when it gets wet....... SHAGGY-DAWG deluxe!!

:imaposer:

p1040005qn.jpg

p1040006g.jpg

after a good old giggle. we moved on to our next victim!

........ well actually not a victim .......  WHAT A STUNNING specimen!!  :drif: :drif:  this old IT400 was found totally wrecked and the owner actually commented that after he first saw it, he laughed thinking what a helluva job lies ahead for whoever tackles the restoration.........  the bike kept niggling his mind... he bought it and did a fantastic job.....WOW!!

p1040023l.jpg

p1040024x.jpg

next we spotted a Min-Harley ... how cute is this thing!!

p1040022j.jpg

next to it the big brother..........  all decked out in Police livery - in fact the dude that owned it paraded around in full NYPD uniform (see his bottom half in the second pic - we did not want to impose...)

p1040020q.jpg

p1040021l.jpg

eventually reaching the TT stand..... was glad to see the SuperTen decked out...  stunning colour with matched panniers!

p1040008y.jpg

p1040009f.jpg

p1040010p.jpg

The HONDA stand was next,................ it was massive and we were very tempted to go and have a chat with regard to failed engines and warranties, but decided not to go and  :pot:
The back of the stand was converted into a mini-track which was just so cool with kids being offered a chance to ride the small bikes. Talk about getting them hooked!
(By the way - training companies had instructors and bikes in a cordoned off area where they were giving free riding lessons . what a stunning idea and we saw many wives/girlfriends being coaxed into trying it out!!  :thumleft:

p1040015p.jpg

p1040016d.jpg

p1040017u.jpg

p1040018up.jpg

Now the final pics and story ............ now I'm a moerse Yamaha fan (yes I ride a GSA. BUT my first love has always been the Yammies) BUT what we saw next brought groans of disbelief....... smiles of uneasy laughter and utter shock.........

2 full-grown SuperTen's sprayed in the most ......... mmmmm don't even know the words.........  unbelievable fluorescent colours ever!!  FFS - how to ride through Africa and fitting in with the landscape  :peepwall:  :dousing:

I suppose for what these chaps are going to be doing - it definitely does attract attention!!!  :deal:

The story goes:

‘Dakar Dreams’ motorbike challenge and TV series (are they trying to copy the LWR boys here perhaps.....?? )

Starting on 15th March 2012, Danny John-Jules (the ‘Cat’ from Red Dwarf) and team-mate Graham Hoskins will attempt to follow one of the most iconic of motorbike routes, the 1996 Dakar Rally from Granada to Senegal.  Through the Atlas mountains of Morocco, the deserts of the Western Sahara and the chaos of Mauritania, they will be filming their adventure and raising money for Riders for Health. And just because they do not like to make things too easy for themselves, their challenge will be unsupported, with only their cameraman for company (Tom Woodrow, Scooters in the Sahara).

Danny and Graham are sure to find that as with their 2010, 7,000 mile endurance challenge ‘Mad in the Med’, this adventure will really be about the amazing people they meet and the friends they make along the way. 

Full details can be found at www.motorbikediaries.co.uk and follow us on twitter @dakardreams

Graham and Danny will be riding Yamaha Super Tenere’s in Danny’s outrageous trademark (I have another description for this type of colour  :mwink:) pink and Graham’s new canary yellow. Both bikes can be seen on the Yamaha stand at the MCN Motorcycle Show 2nd – 5th February. https://www.mcnmotorcycleshow.com

p1040029a.jpg

:peepwall:  can you just imagine if a real tough WD rides to a bash on one of these..........  :imaposer:

p1040027h.jpg

p1040025s.jpg

fluit-fluit my storie is klaar......... no more to bore you guys with...........  :thumleft: