LOST in the Mielies - and a visit to the childrens home in Belfast

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The "Chirp of the Ride" Award also goes to Ama Chirp Chirp.  It went something like this.

We stopped for a rest and to regroup.  Ama was trying to tell Plothond something, but Plottie kept on asking "What?" "I can't hear", so Ama looked at him and asked, very politely: "Is jy fokken doof?"  It was moer snaaks!!

Welsh said:
Ama ride ride said:
Hi guys

Mrs Plothond, you are a very quiet pillion. Did not hear you complaining once. ;D

Classic Ama, Classic  8) 8)

Not as classic as this one:

Ama asks me something about the cricket, I do not hear him properly and ask him to repeat. He repeats the question and a bike or vehicle makes a noise, and again I battle to hear him.
I ask him to repeat again

He stops......, looks at me........, and asks
"Is jy F#$%&@ken doof ???"

;D ;D ;D

Ryperd said:
The "Chirp of the Ride" Award also goes to Ama Chirp Chirp.  It went something like this.

We stopped for a rest and to regroup.  Ama was trying to tell Plothond something, but Plottie kept on asking "What?" "I can't hear", so Ama looked at him and asked, very politely: "Is jy fokken doof?"  It was moer snaaks!!

Sorry Ryperd - we replied at the same time ;D

Man it looks like funâ?¦. My first time introducing the Buell to sand turned out bad for the right mirror.  Would have liked to give it another goâ?¦. Must remember the calming tabs for the wife though, riding with me and to leave the kids behind!!

Nice one!

my take on the ride,,
was lekker leaving 5h30 and riding in the chill morning and got to the start at bapsfontein,,,meeting all those people behind the names i've read about on the forum
1. the start
2.mielies, mielies everywhere
3. our first stop ,,,to fix the aprilla,,,,amazing adventuremx for fixing the sproket with a backplate cut out from a coke can, some wire and qbond,,,and it worked!!!!!!

sorrie,,,forgot the pics,,,he he,,,,

Attachments

• mielies 001.jpg
    mielies 001.jpg
    59.5 KB
  • mielies 002.jpg
    mielies 002.jpg
    36.9 KB
  • mielies 003.jpg
    mielies 003.jpg
    61.1 KB
after fixing the aprilla we went onto some tar and then it happened,,,like "et phone home" we ducked off into the mielielands,,,what a jol,,,well a jol now that we've done it but quite daunting as its just been freshly ploughed and its dusty and hot and endless lines of mealies,,,,the road was one lane only where the one side was barbwire and the otherside mielies higher than your head,,,,i choose the mielieside

1. our stop just after riding through some lekka sand and thinking , well thats done,,,been there got the mielie,,,,but beware ahead lay the best/worst part

2. glimpse of the road right round all of the lands,,,not looking quite as daunting from here but in there it was a different story,,,often my bike went side ways , each wheel doing its own thing,,,some fell and some swerve and pretended it was part of the fun,,,i managed to stay put and at some times thinking its easy and then of course it happens,,,trying to tell myself all the time,,,relax the arms, relax the arms and when i see im clenching for dear life

3. another one made it,,,the last of the katooms or was he detained in the sand???

Attachments

• mielies 004.jpg
    mielies 004.jpg
    67.7 KB
  • mielies 006.jpg
    mielies 006.jpg
    58.2 KB
  • mielies 007.jpg
    mielies 007.jpg
    67 KB
was very nice riding through the farms, opening and closing gates,,,,i was riding sweeper and chowing on everybodies dust,,,never saw the meerkats(katooms) as the were always way ahead,,,but at the back i had the rustige riders, which means i didnt see the falls and luckily nobody saw me??? ok i didnt fall but hell i made some spectacular 180's

1. ama and his pillion/difflock graduating with flying colours through the gauntlet of ploughed up land,,,good riding dude and dudette
2. the pig that wouldnt quit and just ploughed gracefully onwards,,,good riding dude

Attachments

• mielies 008.jpg
    mielies 008.jpg
    67.4 KB
  • mielies 009.jpg
    mielies 009.jpg
    48.5 KB
and nearly forgot after all that lekka fun the actual reason we came was for the children,,,was expecting something like "we dont need no education from The wall movie(pink floyd),,,but we were greeted with amazement and happiness bubbling all over them,,,we dismantled and the old tannies immediately brought us koolaid which came out of a dustbin (a clean one,,,ok??),,,so it felt like we had come to save the kids and soon they were asking for rides and taking photos of each other while posing next to the bike,,,,when winnie the pooh, barney and zimba each arrived on the back of a bike it was evident that the kids wanted to ride as well,,,,so the guys pitched in and rode them around till everybody must have ridden every bike once,,,some even more,,,the little ones , the big ones, boys and girls and even the fattest one chose ryperd as her rider

while this was happening leo fetched  some serious cold ones all in topbox covered with ice and a bag full of droewors,,,we chatted and sat underneath the trees watching the kids riding on the back of the bikes(ktms, bmw and varadero),,,after an hour or more it was lunch and the omies braaied some boerie rolls but first the announcements,,,,the tv/dvd and money was handed over and the kids replied with a rioterous "ons se baie baie dankie" which touched everybody,,,we had our boeries and then split up each group going there own directions

what a great day,,,,having seen those kids take pleasure, smiling and laughing taught me the lesson that we have so much and still we want more and complain,,, while those that dont have any parents or family and have only each other are happy to see  strangers who are dirty, dusty, sweaty and noisy and instantly bowl you over with their positive attitudes,,they take you into their hearts and trust you instantly,,,it was a privelege to be there,,,i came back a different person

thank you ryperd and the guys,,,it was my pleasure riding with you all,,i salute you!!!

Attachments

• mielies 010.jpg
    mielies 010.jpg
    101.3 KB
  • mielies 014.jpg
    mielies 014.jpg
    107.6 KB
Plothond said:
Welsh said:
Ama ride ride said:
Hi guys

Mrs Plothond, you are a very quiet pillion. Did not hear you complaining once. ;D

Ama asks me something about the cricket, I do not hear him properly and ask him to repeat. He repeats the question and a bike or vehicle makes a noise, and again I battle to hear him.

;D ;D ;D

After that we should wash his hands with Soap....

Ryperd said:

:laughing4: :laughing4:

Welsh said:
Plothond said:
Welsh said:
Ama ride ride said:
Hi guys

;D ;D ;D

After that we should wash his hands with Soap....
;D
Thanks.  That just made my day

Sjoe this is a thing that is very close to my hart :'(
Wish I could have attended. I hope to attend the next one.
Nice one guys. Wino that pic captures so much emotion, absolutely stunning.

Nut sure Ama. Will have to ask Carol, who organised it last year, if they are having it again.

But I do have something in mind - NO MIELIES!! - with Aids houses around Jhb.

Will keep you posted!

Latest posts