Lowvelders to the Richtersveld

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_5862.jpeg

As expected, we run out of daylight, luckily just as we finish the sand stretch

IMG_5874.jpeg

We have had a very tough day on the bikes and some bodies have taken a beating. As daylight faded the riding becomes very difficult…..
IMG_5875.jpeg

The last hour of riding is almost unbearable….. it gets pitch dark. Large herds of donkeys roam the areas along the road, visor almost impossible to see through due to insect smudges and dust.

We ride into Hondeklipbaai at 20:30, more than 12 hours after leaving Oasis. We head straight to Kreef & Dop for a well deserved beer and great meal.

IMG_5878.jpeg

The last hour of riding is almost unbearable….. it gets pitch dark. Large herds of donkeys roam the areas along the road, visor almost impossible to see through due to insect smudges and dust.

We ride into Hondeklipbaai at 20:30, more than 12 hours after leaving Oasis. We head straight to Kreef & Dop for a well deserved beer and great meal.

View attachment 916252
Ditto.

Arriving in Prince Albert from Nelspruit, we offloaded all the bikes and moved our kit into our assigned cottages. My by now very familiar routine started and I unpacked my kit bag and double checked my Nomad Barrel bag to make sure everything was ready for our departure early the next morning. I opened my electronics bag, put my phone, comms and Gopro batteries on charge. Checked all my sd cards, made sure tracks show on my GPS, filled drinks bladder and packed my backpack. Everything was set out and the, as I took my Arai helmet out of it’s bag, I noticed that my Gopro was not in the chin mount on my helmet. My heart sank…… I immediately phoned home and my wife confirmed that I left the Gopro on my bedside table where I fine tuned some settings the night before.

At first I was very upset. Couldn’t believe that I was going to miss out on capturing an epic trip like this on video! Everyone started suggesting plans to get it to somewhere on our route or we could even deviate from route to fetch it or buy a new one……. STOP!

I made a conscious decision to accept it and focus on enjoying the trip. What a fantastic decision that turned out to be! I don’t think I realised how much effort goes into capturing footage, managing batteries and storage on a long trip like this!

Going to miss editing and reliving every moment, but very happy that I was “in the moment” for every special moment on the trip.