Macasser with a bit of Gideon

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kamanya

Andrew to most
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Macasser is a fabulous place to go play on a bike.

I have been either really busy and traveling loads or my bike has been in the surgery. So, the previous day I had been in Atlantis and surrounds. I had been having a ball trying out the new suspension. It is a big improvement over the standard one.

Sunday was looking a bit like it might rain, but I hadn't had enough of the big KTM. No-one was at the truck stop, so it was back to the quarry to check if anyone was there. There is a hill up from the truck stop that I really love flying up. It’s where the video starts. Soon after though, in checking out one of the tracks I tried to spin the bike around but only succeeded in spearing the foliage and then taking a nap that took out one of the indicators. (I am going to change this as these break often and are not cheap).

I was sitting at the top of one of the quarries dunes wondering where all the manne were. After a long moments of contemplation on this bitingly cold winter day GJ, or Gideon to some, pitched on his 690.

For those who don’t know, he’s this very unassuming chap with an endearing unaffected gentle stutter, well-worn riding kit, doesn’t give even the slightest hint that he can ride like fuck and has some impressive National credentials behind his twinkly eyes and worn gloves.

After sniffing each other’s bums, as is customary in Wilddog greeting, the inevitable Jungle Book conversation takes place, “So what do you wanna do?” “I don’t know, what do you wanna do?”

I can spot a perpetual closed loop conversation so was the first to crumble, “you lead, I’ll follow”.

Although, my inner conversation was, “Fok, I’d prefer not to lead this chap as he’s probably going to get bored, so… (deep breath)… let’s see what can possibly go wrong following his lead”

We head over to the first little double up sand climb… Er… nope, my fat pig is willing but gravity and the chop behind the bars has less skill so after 3 attempts we head off to try something else. My beast is sounding mighty and climbing up a huge off camber dune in an indulgent long crossed up power slide does my confidence the world of good.

Just then we spot some plastic bike buddies pulling into the quarry with a Landcruiser and trailer. Gideon knows them and we head off to say hello.

Whilst we do a bit more bum sniffing, Gideon asks if I am up for his latest Enduro loop creation. Apparently 7k’s of “plastic bike fun”? “Um… it has a few tough spots, but there are escape routes…? There are some tough hill climbs, so you can ride around if you want?”

I’m not competitive at all and have no problems stepping away from a challenge, sometimes.

“Ok, lead on Mcduff”

This is only the second ride on my new suspension. I have ridden for years on a breathed on standard adventure suspension and just recently I upped it to a full 265mm S suspension. The difference is huge. I can properly ride whoops without getting completely out of control. Now I’m only severely out of control. Jokes aside, it is a huge difference. Before, I had to grit my teeth and beat my way through. Now I am pushing previous envelopes that were impossible.

The first part of the track is known to me, but it is not long before the beaten path is abandoned and I was at the top end of my skill level. There were numerous climbs that skinny, light two smokes make light of. Me, I was working up a good sweat.

I’ll let the video give you the short version.

[flash=600,400]https://www.youtube.com/v/AnL8hOxTPTI?version=3&hl=en_US[/flash]

When Gideon suggests you follow, it's sure to be fun.

What a great day out, thanks Gideon.

great fun! Now I'm even more bleak that I missed you guys that morning.

Some of my best rides in Macassar has been following GJ and 2StrokeDan around.  :lol8:

Bliksem dit lyk lekker....en jy laat dit so maklik lyk.  :thumleft:

En ja voor ek vergeet.....daai bike van jou klink befok!  :drif:

Fascinating video, Kamanya. One can only marvel over what you tackle - and accomplish - on your KTM!

You're an absolutely legend to take that monster through that loop, well done . I did it last weekend on the KDX and it certainly isn't easy.

You're crazy did you know that?  :lol8:

Suspension aside, some serious skills to take such a big bike through that.  :thumleft: They should call it Massacre.

Nice video, I had a bit of a chuckle watching you tackling the foliage and spinning that bike all over the place.

I bet its quite bit different with full tanks....

I never get bored looking at your vids, great skill and that bike sounds sweet...effortless!

BlueBull2007 said:
I bet its quite bit different with full tanks....

I've seldom filled them absolutely full and would definitely not try something like this with them full.

I've tried Atlantis with them full just to see, (I've had ideas of doing a long dune trip through dunes) it wasn't too bad so long as I didn't tip over.

Awesome stuff Andy - looks like a great challenge on the 990 - that last section close to the beach... gotta ride that, very nice!

You should bottle that exhaust note and sell it on the black market to limp-dick chinese toppies.  You'll make MILLIONS!!  And save the rhino at the same time. ;D

:thumleft:

the intro to the video reminds me of the time when you missed the turn-off (doing 150+) coming back from Boegoeberg bash......... :biggrin:

BlueBull2007 said:
Suspension aside, some serious skills to take such a big bike through that.  :thumleft: They should call it Massacre.

Nice one.  :laughing4:

Kamanya is a bit fucked in the head if truth be told. But we love and admire him nonetheless.  :biggrin:

Nice Andries!!! now I'm off to go do some RED dune riding......Daylight savings time was put to rest yesterday, so now we have an hour after work to go ride before it gets to dark  :ricky: