Magaliesberg/burg 24th Feb 2008 - Report

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks to Gunda Gunda for providing a great ride report.

This ride just makes one a little more aware of why we ride in a group and have such a great community at Wilddogs. I have blasted down "that" road a few times at full throttle, how luckly I think I have been.

The ride was nearing the end and we had not really stopped for a proper rest which in this case may have contributed to making trying conditions more dangerous.

It also seems to me that it was safer to have ended up with the bike down than through a nasty barbed wire fence. My admiration to Li for surviving the fall and managing to keep her head. I hope I can do the same. A pity that the sump plug was hit, may have been ridable as an emergency otherwise. A KLR is a tough bike and hope you get yours repaired soon.

Hope I still get some riders for my next excursion to the wild west.

Thanks to everyone on the ride for helping and being so patient
Splash

Attachments

• DSC03545.JPG
    DSC03545.JPG
    30.1 KB
  • DSC03547.JPG
    DSC03547.JPG
    24.5 KB
  • DSC03557.JPG
    DSC03557.JPG
    12.4 KB
  • DSC03565.JPG
    DSC03565.JPG
    29 KB
  • DSC03566.JPG
    DSC03566.JPG
    18.7 KB
Another picture or two.

Attachments

• DSC03568.JPG
    DSC03568.JPG
    31.1 KB
  • DSC03570.JPG
    DSC03570.JPG
    22.4 KB
Glad you are ok !

Another mod on my KLR. Some say why bother, like the rear brake braket and guard.
Low profile magnetic drain plug. Ther magnet is good for the running in period, the low profile helps you glide over rocks that would normally rip out the plug.

Was the bottom of the engine so bad it could not be patched with pratley steel or something? Just to get out?

Attachments

• KLR-650-Drain-Plug-Small.jpg
    KLR-650-Drain-Plug-Small.jpg
    13.4 KB
Ok... found the pics, glad Li came of only bruised. That was quite a spill to bash the tupperware like that, damn rock!
I am surprised that the insurance is writing off the bike though?

Scary part is the spares costs  :eek:

Only major damage was the sump the rest was plastics light and clocks. total repair bill came to R43 000    :eek: :eek:

I'm sure if you had to build a KLR out of spares from Kawa it would cost about R200 000.