Maraisburg on Heavy Metal - LOTS of PICS (Video's added as well)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A couple of kms off the Maraisburg offramp - just a little north of Soweto, I guess.

Knopkop, whereabouts at Maraisburg are those dunes??

Been riding there a few times, on plastics and DS, but don't recognise that bit you were in

Looks like a great place to play on the big bikes ......... :thumleft:

Cracker said:
Knopkop, whereabouts at Maraisburg are those dunes??

Been riding there a few times, on plastics and DS, but don't recognise that bit you were in

Looks like a great place to play on the big bikes ......... :thumleft:

The GPS track is attached to reply #32 on page 2

but here is the coordinates for the dune.

S26°12'17.12"
E27°50'26.71"

:thumleft: :thumleft:

Lekka fun inthe sandpit !

Great foties.

A question.

Is it my imagination, or is mine sand a lot easier to ride on than beach or river sand?

I took my old KLE along a few of those "roads" and it was a lot easier than I expected, while down here in Durban I tried a bit of beach sand near where I stay, and a bit of sand in the Thukela river bed and it was seriously difficult.

My theory, although as  a Mining Engineer who has been playing with 'puters for over 20 years, is that beach and river sand is better sorted (particle size is more consistant) and as a result the grains do not "lock" and slip about more which makes for difficult riding. 

Also, if you look closely at beach or river sand you will see that the water has worn the rough edges off the sand grains, so they dont pack as solidly as that mine stuff.

My imagination, or possibly a "grain" of truth? 

Could be, I have found the mine sand quite easy too, until you get into the knee deep stuff at the bowl. I think deep sand no matter what type will always be challenging. The Sand from Maputo to Ponta will always hold a 'special' place in my heart, but I was horribly inexperienced in 2007 and had about 20kg's on the back luggage rack, packed high which is never a good thing in the sand!

Sure looks like fun. Is that a MT90 on the Dak front? With MT90 my skoet fell over just parking it next to a pot plant but with the Michelin Desert it seem to be able to go anywhere. Hats off to you, Dak rider.

looks similar to the sand dunes at Snake rd did that a few years ago with the AT club good fun on big DS

Hey it looks like you all had great fun in the sun and sand....

Been to both Maraisburg and Snake road dunes on the Africa Twin - now lets try on the KTM950SE........