Maybe Africa?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DL 1000 V-Strom
Some of this is in my introduction thread but here it goes...
I live in San Diego, CA USA.  I have a work sabatical that is six weeks long and I can add two weeks vacation for 8-weeks off.  I've been sitting on it for 4 years now because knowing I have the time available is almost more rejuvenating than taking the time off.  If I don't use it before 8/17/17 I lose it so I need to start planning something.

I haves few bucket list motorcycle trips, Alaska, South America, and Africa.  Obviously I'm here to explore Africa options.
  • Rent, ship, buy and sell, buy and ship home?  These seem to be the options that come to mind for my transportation.  Rent is obvious, buy and sell would be to buy something used and inexpensive and then sell on departure.  KLR ~$4000 and sell for what I can get at end.  Buy and ship would be to buy a BMW in Germany, ride South and return to have factory ship to US--I believe they do this?
  • Route options?  My initial thought was to buy something in SA and ride to Kenya, not really for any particular reason.  This may likely be my only trip to Africa in this lifetime, so I'd like to see as much as I can and I have no preconceived notion of what that is.  More concerned with hostility than animals.  Trip doesn't have to be all motorcycle, I like to scuba, hike, fly, kayak/canoe, sail, spelunking, photography, etc.  I tend to do a lot of things alone.  I'm fine with people but avoid "tourist" groups at all costs.  Wildlife, culture, history are all of interest.  I'm comfortable off road, ok in sand-I have a paddle tire for my 450, but I'm not exactly young anymore.  If I do North America I would camp at least 50% of the time.  Pretty sure I'd be fine tenting it around Africa unless accommodations are so inexpensive that I'd be silly not to stay there.
  • Food.  Probably my greatest personal challenge.  I eat sugar, cow, chicken, pig, corn and potatoes.  Not much else!  I'm hard pressed to even try anything else.  I've been to $300/plate work dinners and stopped at McDonalds on the way home because I wouldn't touch the other food.  I may live off of freeze dried food on this trip.  Losing 30 lbs wouldn't kill me either.
    • Timing.  I'm assuming that the best time to make this trip would be Oct Nov or Jan Feb?

Well it should be obvious that this is more of an idea / pre-planning thread than a detailed planning thread. Thoughts are welcome.