First time adventurer - fly and ride (sort of)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi there

Stumbled across this forum last night whilst doing some research about a trip currently being planned for December through several of SAs more friendly neighbours.

Last night's topic of research was the ongoing question - you know the one - which bike? This will be my first overland trip and the first time riding significant distances on gravel so looking for something lightweight and inexpensive enough for me not to get upset when it inevitably falls over. Currently leaning towards a XT660Z as a not too intimidating beginner's option that won't be exhausting at highway speeds as there will be some tarmac involved. Like the look of the new 700 Tenere too, but there would be tears if that ended up on the floor. Happy to hear suggestions/if anyone knows of a suitable machine in and around the Cape -I am UK based, but will be buying the bike in SA and storing it with the family. It is much more economical to buy and then (only if necessary) sell than it is to rent.

Will be lurking and doing all the research, but will be sure to post if I am unable to find the answers - seems like a knowledgable and super friendly forum.

Safe riding and happy travels