Me my 800 "121" and the Amageza

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Remy

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GS
Thursday I couldn't wait to hit the road  ::) I left Cape town around 12:00 and met Sack at the N1 one stop from there we were of to Ceres two F800GS's hitting the road  :ricky:, we filled up in Ceres and it started raining, once we got to the dirt road between Ceres and Sutherland we were soaked it was raining and guess what the whole road was flippen mud, allot of slipping and sliding  :eek: Sack and I made it to Sutherland around 17:00 without a single fall and yet our bikes looked like we already did the Amageza  :deal:.

Friday I had to be at the school to leave for the qualifier at first I decided only to ride to make it but every time I saw a bike ahead of me I had to chace :eek7: personally I have watched the qualifier videos and I must say with all respect the qualifier that we had to do was rough  :bueller:, take boulders rocks up hill and down hill mixed with deep mud and river crossings, I did the qualifier and finished 09:07 think it took two hour cant remember if we left at 07:00 but who cares I made it and was in for the next day Saturday, In the mean time I replaced my front wheel bearings  :xxbah:.

Saturday on the special Sack and I rode together and for some reason it just worked, at some point I looked on my gps and saw we needed to up our average speed so I pushed a little in front and Sack followed closely, we came to a down hill section and a XT660/XC/ Husky  :mwink: was in front of us and didn't make way so at some point I made space and flew past him taking a ramp and only then realised the road turned right at that point I slammed on the brakes and threw the 800 sideways and slid all the way down in the turn and opend the gas and pulled into the corner, must have looked awesome  >:D apologies if I startled the rider but we were on the special and time was counting "He probably didnt notice the quiet bikes behind  :thumleft:, Sack and myself overtook a few bikes some fallen some taking smoke breaks and some unable to continue we met Roost "after a huge fall seen in the movie played that evening" :eek7: on the way and the 3 of us became a pair pushing for time and just riding the 3 BMW's the way they could be ridden we finished the special in 2 hours taking in consideration that we started almost last our bikes weigh over 200kg I say thats pretty impressive. :lamer: On the liason I had a flat infront  :xxbah: and had issues with it all the way to Laignsburg Sack had a problem with his bike cutting out"later found out it was the side stand sensor" at this point Roost and I rode the rest of the route and we pushed for a little time so the speed on the gravel was quite interesting considering we didn't see speed signs we took it that there wasnt any  :mwink: according to my gps some sections ok ok allot of sections we were over 160 we kept to the speed limit  >:D this was nice as I didnt feel bumps in the road and kinda hydroplaned over the water patches and mud areas. As we entered Sutherland I took my bike to the KTM mechanics to have a look at my tire that kept going flat, they couldnt find a problem and put it back  :patch: needless to say the next morning it was flat again  :bueller: Sack came in a bit late.

Sunday the 3 of us rode together again. at the beginning of the special my gps came off and landed in between my shocks and the 800's body and when I needed to turn on one of the down hill twisties I couldnt in the process I crushed my gps :xxbah: and put the bike down instead of going off the cliff into a fence  :eek: so that choice was pretty ok problem now was my gps was broken,Roosts and Sacks gps's were also out of commission  :-\ yes this means that the 3 of us made the special without a gps thanx to proper team work and tracks from other riders  :deal:. To make a long thing short we rode all the way uphill down hill over the ramps etc with heavy bikes with kak suspension and yet when we got to the finish line our bikes were still in tact , no plastic damage, no flicker,mirrors broken, no need to be in the KTM mechanic area for repairs etc. :peepwall: Yet now I wont mind for a 690  :3some:

I dont ever do this but due to being told I wouldnt make it on the 800 I will say this for myself Sack and Roost
ONS KAN FKN BIKE RY!!!! :biggrin: die wat voor ons kla is ry net beter en vinniger :thumleft: ma non the less ons kan... :imaposer:
The 800 surprised me allot :eek7: we did what all the small bikes did we did what all the KTM's with proper suspension did and I will say the 800 being heavy and having kak suspension is a pretty amazing bike ::). The only 2 800's and one of the 3 HP2's made the trip and smiled in the end we rode our bikes the way they should be ridden and more :thumleft:

Monday Sack and I left for Ceres again on our bike not like those woosy trailer okes  :peepwall:  :biggrin: see we dont need no trailers sins our bikes could actually still ride home  :deal: just before Ceres I had another bloody flat  :xxbah:Sack and I fixed it and left in Wellington some idiot female "she still blamed him"turned infront of sack without indicating in the rain and he hit her flat on the ass the Mazda's back was dent,Sack was ok though future kids will have blue eyes :deal: and the BMW had very very minor damage we rode home and both safely with our families. :3some:

All in all I already did next years 5 days Amageza  :ricky:

sorry I dont have any pics were to busy riding but believe there should be plenty of pics of the yellow 800 number 121

Yes, Remy, I had a brief ride-along with the 3 of you, you guys ride well indeed.
Sack, sorry to hear about your mishap with the Mazda. What is it with you and Mazda's? :imaposer:

Remy said:
according to my gps some sections ok ok allot of sections we were over 160

Did you pick up time penalties for exceeding the speed limit of 120 ?? or was it done with avarage times?

Well done for finishing dude, sounds like it was tough going..  :thumleft:

I think the speed restrictions were for towns and tar road sections

Well done Remy and to your team members.

Sack

14008a4f.jpg

2StrokeDan said:
All public roads. Sorry Remy, you're disqualified :peepwall:

:p too late besides i guarantee those 990's didn't stick to them either  :pot:

Remy said:
I dont ever do this but due to being told I wouldnt make it on the 800 I will say this for myself Sack and Roost
ONS KAN FKN BIKE RY!!!! die wat voor ons kla is ry dalk beter en vinniger  ma non the less ons kan...
The 800 surprised me allot we did what all the small bikes did we did what all the KTM's with proper suspension did and I will say the 800 being heavy and having kak suspension is a pretty amazing bike. The only 2 800's and one of the 3 HP2's made the trip and smiled in the end we rode our bikes the way they should be ridden and more

Julle kan ry! I have HUGE respect for you guys on those big bikes. :hello2: Great meeting you and nice to read your report.

Fuzzy Muzzy said:
Remy said:
according to my gps some sections ok ok allot of sections we were over 160

Did you pick up time penalties for exceeding the speed limit of 120 ?? or was it done with avarage times?

Well done for finishing dude, sounds like it was tough going..  :thumleft:

What time penalties? What speed limit? There were no signs, and the road book said FZ - go look it up.  ;D :mwink:

Glad to hear you are ok SACK!  :eek7:

Im not sure a Yamaha (even my one)  would have survived the total onslaught of the wellington ladies!  :pot:

This is the GPS that made me put my bike down  :eek7:

Attachments

• Bellville-20120503-00309.jpg
    Bellville-20120503-00309.jpg
    124.9 KB
Well done guys.
I think it is so cool that you guys had such a good time on a fantastic bike.
F800 GS is very capable.

I, on the other hand, am still learning.

lol

I personally think that BMW need to approach the design table again.
The 800 will kill if they only gave it proper suspension and brought the weight down to 140 - 170

If you look at the price for a BMW and KTM they are both very competitive and around the same bracket but seeing KTM suspension you can think for yourself that the bike itself arent really that expensive besides the 690 is what around 140-170kg gets 20km/l+ only downside is service "which you could probably do yourself" well thats my 2c

we came to a down hill section and a XT660/XC/ Husky  was in front of us and didn't make way so at some point I made space and flew past him taking a ramp and only then realised the road turned right at that point I slammed on the brakes and threw the 800 sideways and slid all the way down in the turn and opend the gas and pulled into the corner, must have looked awesome  apologies if I startled the rider but we were on the special and time was counting "He probably didnt notice the quiet bikes behind 
:biggrin:

Nice to hear the other side of the story.  You didnt startle me, just amazed me with your riding skills - it did look awesome!  The image is stuck in my brain as one of the highlights of the day  :thumleft:

Clearly you were a lot more worried about time than I was!  Sorry to hold you up, but I wasnt really interested in what was going on behind me  :biggrin:

Along with many other riders on big bikes on the ride, you changed my view about them to an extent because I was amazed at the skill and ability on display of all riders on those bigger bikes!