Minimalist toolkit for a car or bakkie?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Namakwalander

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR250 Tornado
Sorry, yes, I realize this is a bike forum, but we have so many knowledgeable and experienced people here, so I had to ask.

Anyway, I have always carried my cut-open-jerrycan toolbox with set of sockets, complete tool roll with spanners, another bag with loose hand tools and a set of screw drivers. Recently I was given a 1/4" bit set that has all the smaller sockets and screwdriver bits that have helped a lot before on some small jobs and then wondered if I really need to cart all of this nonsense around (I obviously don't). I cant say I have used any of this next to the road. Yes, I have fixed stuff at people's houses, but actually going to someone to fix something, is something different than the normal emergency toolkit and maybe I could even have asked them for some of the tools (maybe not the plug socket I used to get a petrol genny running again).

So other than the compact 1/4" set of bits and ratchets, what else will you deem necessary?

- Pliers? (standard, needle or waterpump, Leatherman, or more than just one)
- Spanners? (a few common sizes and a shifting maybe)
- Tyre plug kit? (I plan on adding this as well)
- Compressor? (actually very bulky if trying to be minimalist)
- Jumping cables? (useless if stuck in the middle of nowhere, but I have helped others and it doesn't take a lot of space)
- Tow rope? (I have one, but think it is overkill for a general toolkit, only used it once)
- Cable ties and superglue?

What would you, or what do you keep in your car or bakkie?

Latest posts