Mitchells Pass Hogsback

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LouisL

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
Tried to ride down this pass (between Hogsback and Seymour) last weekend with my Tiger 800 xc and eventually fell and had to be fecthed because bike wouldn't start again.

I cannot recommend it for anyone with a heavy bike. My riding skills are not overly developed but this place is pretty bad!

Any other people who have done it recently and their opinions?

On a bike I believe it would be reasonably easy but yes in a 4x4 a bit more difficult.
I gave up last year in my jeep wrangler because I had no one to back me up so I only did part of it.

nice part of the world for sure

Yes, I did that on my way home from doing the Argus in Capetown to Durban. It was a nice drive because in quick succession you can do the Winterberg, Hell's Bellows, Katberg pass and Mitchell's pass. Can't remember it being too much of a challenge and I read recently of a couple who took their camper van that way. I've attached the GPS tracks so you can see how the passes join up. Ian

Attachments

• 20130316GraafReinetteELwinterbergHogsback.gdb
    100.1 KB
Been down twice... first time was two up and cost a clutch lever.
Second time was a breeze with knobbies and no pillion to worry about. :sip:

IanTheTooth said:
Yes, I did that on my way home from doing the Argus in Capetown to Durban. It was a nice drive because in quick succession you can do the Winterberg, Hell's Bellows, Katberg pass and Mitchell's pass. Can't remember it being too much of a challenge and I read recently of a couple who took their camper van that way. I've attached the GPS tracks so you can see how the passes join up. Ian

I think you mean Devil's Bellows  ;). Ja Mitchells has been challenging for some many years and always depended on what rains and what if any maintenance had been done on it! All these passes are an adventure bikers dream … but not for the feint hearted esp if wet.

;D@ Andre....please help me out bro...don't want to cause any further damage.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who found it a bit challenging. I have done Hel, Baviaans, Lundeansnek, Jouberts etc bit this one was defninately my worst one...and didn't even finish it :-\

Attachments

• val.jpg
    val.jpg
    42.4 KB
  • mitchelles.jpg
    mitchelles.jpg
    43.6 KB
Ahhh, sounds like I have found my new challenge. 

Ok, so I only have a CRF230, but I'm up for a challenge....

Recently did Bastervoed and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Het gedoen met vrou en panniers op 990. Seymour was 38 grade. Was moeg en warm. Vrou het op 2 plekke bietjie gestap. Momentum is baie belangrik met n swaar fiets.
Is vir my baie dieselfde as bastervoetpad. Sweet bietjie maar nie onmoontlik nie. Probleem kom as dit reen. Dan beheer die fiets jou en nie jy die fiets nie

Sent from my iPhone

All you big brave adventure riders rushing around on your supersized adventure bikes exciting your adrenal cortex's into rampant overproduction, make sure you don't finish up like this foal we found on the Winterberg! (Yes Big Dom, just before the Devil's Bellows) Ian

Attachments

• Hogg2013_0316_122130.JPG
    Hogg2013_0316_122130.JPG
    102.3 KB
LouisL said:
Glad to hear I'm not the only one who found it a bit challenging. I have done Hel, Baviaans, Lundeansnek, Jouberts etc bit this one was defninately my worst one...and didn't even finish it :-\

Jip, that looks about right  :eek:

Doesnt look like it has changed much since the first and last time I went down there 2 years ago...  NEVER again

IanTheTooth said:
All you big brave adventure riders rushing around on your supersized adventure bikes exciting your adrenal cortex's into rampant overproduction, make sure you don't finish up like this foal we found on the Winterberg! (Yes Big Dom, just before the Devil's Bellows) Ian

Shame that's a sad sight! Ja up there on a rainy day in the mist you feel you could be on the Scottish Highlands - and yes lots of wild horses.

Been up and down a couple of times with the bike and pillion as well as with my 2X4 Fortuner.  There is only about a 100m part that is a tad challenging.  Once over that it is plain sailing.  
Ask JMOL and his tjommies what happened to them last year.  They had some fun.   :patch: :biggrin:  

A rr of the three passes here

https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=116899.0

The wife and I rode the Devils Bellows a year or so ago on a KLR. Not fun with a pillion. Beuatiful views but I could not risk stopping for pics lest we fall over. Would not risk it with the Strom.