Motorcycle Locks and Security

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dnk8n

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLR 650
Hi everyone,

This is my first post and I am a newbie rider (just got a Kawasaki KLR650) so please bare with me if I haven't posted this in the correct place.

I have found it difficult to find information on how best to secure my bike. At the moment I am thinking of purchasing both a thick chain/lock (which can be attached to an immovable object and the frame of the bike) and a disk  lock (I've seen some with alarms as well, hoping to attach this to the back wheel). I will also cover the bike from the elements so will be looking for recommendations on covers too.

I'm based in Cape Town and can't find a place with adequate stock. It seems I have to wait 3-4 days to order in the parts (been in touch with Mike Hopkins Motorcycles). In this period I feel a bit worried about the security of my bike because the garage I thought I would have is not available any more. So that the bike is not standing unsecured on the street at the bottom of my sloped driveway, I have parked it at my offices which have a security gate (4min walk from my house). Sometimes I worry it's worse parking it here because if the baddies somehow get in, they have all the time in the world to have their way with it.

Anyway the product brochure I am looking through (which Mike Hopkins can order in from) can be found here... https://app.box.com/s/8z750ph2gw7ng1rjqbd7. Is there somewhere cheaper to find a top quality thick chain and lock, like a common hardware store perhaps?

Thanks for reading :)