My Africa Twin had a electrical blowout

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

KWacker

On returning from our trip my AT were behaving strangely. First sign was that the bike would not start ( Flat battery?) After some 200 km riding high beam headlight bulb blew.

Then when riding with my lights on the bike would start to shudder as if it does not get enough current to the fuel pump but when I switch the lights off no problem. Got to a bike shop in Namibia and he said my battery was shot. Well installed a new one and a new high beam bulb and on my way I was. After 500km of tar riding it started doing the same and both head lights was on at the low beam setting and on the high beam only one bulb were on ( Hell I was now confused!!!! ). Well this shuddering stopped again and I could use my lights while riding. Went on for two days and on our last day 400km from Pretoria my bike just went dead. Only very dimm ignition lights !!At the side of the road we stripped the side panels to find the battery was cooking hot and my ignition,fuel fuse has blown. Replaced the fuse and treid again but nothing. I was smelling a very sharp electrical smell.

My bike is fitted with an alarm device with a remote. I tried activating and deactivating but still dead. I opened the alarm box and saw the whole board was cooked. We tried to bypass the alarm system but everyting was still dead. The bike is in Botswana at the moment and I must go fetch it during this week.

Whats the chance the whole bike wiring harness and CDI is cooked?????