My Saturday with the XT660R

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EtienneNXR

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha T7
This is what I got to ride Saturday, 2008 Blue Yamaha XT660R with 6400km's on the clock.
DSC01077Medium.jpg

The setting, was in the Caledon mountains on a wheat farm, the bike belonging to the farmer.
DSC01085Medium.jpg

First impressions:

At first glance the bike looks like a mean offroader, the XT500 of yesteryear's heritage is still well and alive within this bike. The build quality is good and solid, no flimsy plastics etc.
A 21" front and 17" rear is wrapped in Maxxis knobblies, the twin exhausts compliment and otherwise "clean" rear end nicely. There are no big fairings only the small plastic tank shrouds. The bike I rode had been raised compliments of Andy XT660R, and I was still able to get both feet on the ground . . . just barely.
The instrumentation panel is fully digital and neat.
DSC01075Medium.jpg

Riding impressions

Swinging a leg over the bike, you can immediately feel the 170+ kg's under you, the handle bar position in very natural when sitting, not to far forward or back, although i did find it a bit low when standing, a problem which can quickly be sorted by Trevor (topbox) with some bar raisers. Pressing the happy button you can hear the starter motor trying to get the 660cc liquid-cooled, 4-stroke, single cylinder, 4-valve, SOHC motor started, and that distinct thumper sound coming from the aftermarket exhausts. Pulling away I immediately noticed how little vibrations the bike has, compared to some of the other bikes I have ridden in the 650 class. I could clearly feel the difference with this bike having EFI, opposed to the carburetted bike Im coming off. Once the bike is creating enough gyroscopic force (above 40km/h) the weight of the bike is not so prominent anymore. Going up one of the hills standing, I though I was going about 50km/h looking down at the speedo it already said 95km/h :eek: scary stuff! Through the turns, sitting weight forward and leg out, the slightest blip of the throttle made the rear step out, me only weighing about 50 odd kg's added to the success. I found the bike allot easier to control through technical stuff than I though it would be, although with the EFI you have to be on the clutch abit more. Im not a fan of the aftermarket screen on this bike, the buffeting was bad, I'd prefer the mini screen the bike came out with. It's like the simultaneous action with this bike, the wider I open the throttle, the wider my smile becomes!
DSC01079Medium.jpg

Here are some more pictures:

DSC01076Medium.jpg

Nice riding to be had here
DSC01081Medium.jpg

Farmland
DSC01084Medium.jpg

A thanks to the farmer for letting me ride his bike, If I had to sum this bike up in one word it would simply be. . .WoW!

Good report ET , tell juaan , he must bring that crash bar back , I foud and 08 one for him.As long as its still in new condition.
When we going to Caledon Again ?

I will tell him, the lambda sensor is in the way on the current one, he said you must defnitly come gooi 'n draai. LOTS of nice technical tracks there, and close to the cape!

Also took a spin on one this weekend. Was pleasantly surprised with the ease that it handled the sand.

Very nice bike for shorter distances and for playing around.

EtienneNXR said:
Kamanya said:
EtienneNXR said:
Man my bike feels pap today :(

Next time we meet, you are welcome to take mine...

Give me a couple of more years, gonna kill myself with the 100+- hp of that bike!!!

Nah, you'll be ok. And its only 100hp at the crank, so you'll be fine.

Lol!

Ja, agreed, rode the Super Enduro  and the 100hp is nice, but dayumm a pig stays a pig!

Kamanya said:
EtienneNXR said:
Kamanya said:
EtienneNXR said:
Man my bike feels pap today :(

Next time we meet, you are welcome to take mine...

Give me a couple of more years, gonna kill myself with the 100+- hp of that bike!!!

Nah, you'll be ok. And its only 100hp at the crank, so you'll be fine.
Just don't fill the fortyfive litre tank.....