My verion of Niku's Screen

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JacoM

Race Dog
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS HP2
I damaged my Puig sreen end of last year in an act of "over eagerness", and subsequently phoned Niku for help. We set up a deal and he was so generous to "trade" me the CAD drg for his fittings. Thanks Niku - you still need to come and fetch your wife's Appletiser.

I had the fittings laser cut and copied the curve of the fitting onto paper. My plan was to make the screen from Polycarb and not from Perspex . Polycarb is extremely tuff and "rigid" . The paper curve I used to profile pieces of wood and cut it out with my belt saw. I then clamped the hole lot with wood glue. The little curved lip at the top was a real challenge, but came out very nice. I had to glue the last piece of wood with a slightly changed profile to get this "lip perfect. I sanded it down to make sure the curve is nicely and evenly formed

Poly carb becomes "plastic "at 160degree C BUT at this temp. it reacts with the least amount of dampness - as I was about to find out.
I monitored my kitchen oven temp. with a infra red temp gauge to first heat it up to 100dgree to get rid of moisture for 10 min. Then took it up to 160degree. You need to work fast when it comes out - you have only a couple of seconds before it sets again. The first screen came our with marks on it as it reacted with the moisture in my "oven gloves".

I hope the pictures tells the story..

Attachments

• 110.JPG
    110.JPG
    95.3 KB
  • 111.JPG
    111.JPG
    97.6 KB
  • 108.JPG
    108.JPG
    95.1 KB
  • 109.JPG