Never throw away bike-specific bolts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kykdaar

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Zundapp (all models)
We have all been there - standing at the bolt and nut shop with a bolt from a bike in the hand being told that it is "agents only" or getting some generic bolt that is not quite suitable - e.g. a bolt head without a broad shoulder.

Recently I snapped off one of the bolts that is used to adjust the position of the wheel / set the chain tension. Thing about this specific bolt is that it has a size 10 head so that it can fit and be turned in the narrow confined space adjacent to the swing arm. Any similar fully threaded bolt at the local nut and bolt shop has a (spanner) size 13 head which, of course, does not fit and can not be tightened in the location that it must be used.

This would have meant a "boer maak a plan" job to build your own build, or the bike standing and waiting for the part from the dealer which, given my luck, would probably be on a 3 month back-order from Japan.

So.........off I go and start rumbling through a large old bin full of old nuts and bolts to see what can be done / fabricated and unbelievably I find the exact same bolt and locking nut within a minute of starting to scratch around. I could not believe it, much less so when I found another set a few minutes later.

I last had a XRR in 2007 and in prepping it for the Desert Run that year I must have swopped the old bolts with new ones, but chucked the old ones in the bin. Nine years and a house move later I found them again and it solved a main pain in the butt for me ;D

Spent the rest of the evening going through the bolts and nut bin and separating out all the bike-specific bolts and nuts into a separate container. 

Attachments

• Broken bolt.jpg
    Broken bolt.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 411