no more lurking

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Al

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F650GS / Dakar
Hello all ,finally I register after lurking for far too long !
Live in  the  city bowl  in Cape Town and  have been riding  an 02 Dakar for just over a year now . Owned various roadbikes  from a 50cc Honda at school  to a  GSX1100 but was then bikeless for about 10 years .  I commuted on a scooter  for a year or two  but had been thinking about getting a DS bike for a while  . A friend ( also on the forum  - SAM ) bought an AT and reminded me that we had always spoken about doing offroad trips on bikes. You know the "  lets buy XT500s and cruise through Africa  "  type of discussions . I think it took me about a week and  I had found a bike ! An 02 Dakar with all of 4000km on it . It has now done another 12000km  ( about half of that on dirt) and does not look quite so clean anymore.I do a lot  of mountainbiking and thought that my natural ability ( ja right ) would make offroading on a DS bike  easy !! A quick fall on my first excursion into soft sand sorted out that theory! Then I remembered that I ride a BM and  must stand at all times and things got a bit easier !
Anyway one lives and learns and I managed a recent 2 week trip to Nam ( ride report in progress )without appearing too inept on the dirt . 
I have certainly learned a lot from the forum and enjoy the ride reports .
Greetings to all the  WDs