Oasis Saturday the long way round

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DR650
Again it was a day to remember as Flatout, Andy660, Superten, Gwild and Rynet and I met at the Engen One stop aiming for the long way round ride and lunch at Oasis.
With perfect weather, the SE seemed to have abated, we headed for the wind generators and then cross country on a sandy road to the old Malmesbury road. On the way we were lucky to spot a large mole snake. With some sand behind us we hit the tar to Malmesbury and then back onto the gravel to Mooreesburg.
One now immediately notices that after our extensive rainy season the roads have turned extremely sandy and to make it more interesting always deeper on the corners.
From Mooreesburg we ran the tar to Citrusdal for a refueling before taking another sandy road along the Olifants river to Niewooudtspass, Algeria and Dwarsrivier.
On top of Uitkyk pass we stopped for a photo shoot and prepared the party for a run across the plateau on a surface comprising nothing but marbles.
And as suspected it seems every time we ride the Algeria road the marbles get looser and again especially on the corners.
All arrived safe and sound at Oasis in time for one of Chantals special steak lunches.
While Rynet and Superten settled down for the stay and a night at Oasis, Andy 660 and Flatout relaxed for a later lunch and a stroll back to town. Although knowing Andy it was a flying return.
Gwild and I left early as Gavin had to get back to Cape Town.
The only slight gremlin on the trip was on the shortcut from Ouplaas cross country missing out Op Die Berg, where on the Ceres side we encountered a locked gate. A sign of the times.
Fortunately the builders had left a tight drainage ditch next to the gate and we managed one at a time to get out bikes through.
On reaching Ceres I nearly swopped my bike with Koos who had a magnificent horse and buggy at the service station.
Once again a great ride with great companions.
Hope the Oasis overnight party was not too wild.

th_GOPR5238.jpg

th_GOPR5235.jpg

th_GOPR5222.jpg

th_GOPR5247.jpg

th_GOPR5232.jpg

th_GOPR5254.jpg

th_GOPR5252.jpg

th_GOPR5250.jpg

Sakkie we are looking forward to your excellent photos and comments. Especially riding the sand and pebbles!!

lekker, was planning to meet your party , but forgot about other commitments

Home safe , what a lekker weekend.  :thumleft: It started off a bit stressed mostly because 4 cars tried to run me of the road,  3 even before I arrived at the meeting place. The worse one on the Citrusdal Algeria road when a car pulled over for me and when I passed it it tried to push me off the narrow dirt road . I had to lock both front and back brakes and narrowly missed going over the side of the road . I cannot imagine it was intentional and hope it was just alchohol making them blind . 

Thanks Robin and Andy for planning the route and for leading . It was a beautiful route and good company . Thanks for putting up with me. :ricky:

Will post some piccies tomorrow.  :thumleft:

Lekker fodies Robin and gwild.  :thumleft:

We missed you tgg , sorry you had other commitments  :(  but at least Luther , Karin and Blinkes graced us with some Vredendal/ Klawer Flavour .  :3some:

Was 'n bietjie kort gewees, moet plan maak sodat ons 'n hele naweek kan saamkuier

Karin A said:
Was 'n bietjie kort gewees, moet plan maak sodat ons 'n hele naweek kan saamkuier

Ja definitief , dis was te kort gewees. Ons maak plan vir hele naweek by Cederberg Oases in die nuwe jaar  :thumleft:

[quote author=Rynet li
[/quote]

Ja definitief , dis was te kort gewees. Ons maak plan vir hele naweek by Cederberg Oases in die nuwe jaar  :thumleft:
[/quote]

Wat sal dit nou help, jy slaap dan die heeltyd :pot:

After marking examination papers for the last couple of weeks I decided at the last moment to join Robin Brown and friends on this ride. Being totally unfit and after about 500 km on very sandy and bumpy roads you don't want to know what my legs feel like today. But as expected it was once again a ride to remember.

Sorry to disappoint you Robin but after trying my camera on new sport settings yesterday, most of my photos came out either very dull or totally out of focus, but here they are.

After a few kilometers on very sandy roads this was our first and very welcome pit stop.

Attachments

• 100_4025.JPG
    100_4025.JPG
    240 KB
  • 100_4026.JPG
    100_4026.JPG
    298 KB
Just outside Citrusdal and once again we are negotiating sandy sections. Here Andy 660 is showing how it should be done.

Attachments

• 100_4028.JPG
    100_4028.JPG
    203.1 KB
Robin manages to sit but dare not take his eyes off the road.

Attachments

• 100_4029.JPG
    100_4029.JPG
    226.3 KB
A close up of the general condition of the road surface. Gwild performed some of the best swerves that I have seen on this specific part  :imaposer:

Attachments

• 100_4032.JPG
    100_4032.JPG
    364.4 KB
Rynet doing it the KLR-way

Attachments

• 100_4033.JPG
    100_4033.JPG
    354.4 KB
Going over the summit of the Nieuwoudt pass.
  1.  Rynet
  2.  Superten
  3.  Andy 660
  4.  gwild
  5.  Robin Brown

Attachments

• 100_4034.JPG
    100_4034.JPG
    304.5 KB
  • 100_4035.JPG
    100_4035.JPG
    332.8 KB