Oasis after flooded roads.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deon

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR650R
My only excuse to not attend a family wedding was to use a bike trip as an excuse. Nobody interferes with a bike trip. Only the weather.

On short notice, we decide to do the trusted Cederberg Oasis. We were a bit uncertain, as our host of many years will never be there again.

We were only two bikes, as my friends has gotten too old to ride. So they went with my new old VW Transporter. As we could not book enough accommodation I kept the seats in, so the boys could sleep on the seats. We stopped at the Fynbos Farm-stall before Ceres, and the food and service was good. Then fuel in Ceres. Which was expensive. Gydo Pass had one unexpected sand spot after a blind corner.

The dirt part of the road was washed away. All the rivulet crossings had sharp edges that made riding slow. One Varadero suffered a damaged front rim from stones, or those angular ridges. The other Varadero still have a pool noodle inside the front tire. So I went through without damaged. Gideon had to ride the last 35 km on a flat front wheel.

At Oasis, we got the Old House on a cancellation, so we slept well. Not much, but well. Then we moved over to Foxtrot tents. I assume the cancellations was because of the rain. First time I could watch stars while it was driveling. The accommodation was limited, but great. Food was great. And it was a pleasure to have drinks on the stoep. Like in the past.

We used the workshop to remove the front wheel of the bike. Now both Varadero's are waiting for us at Oasis. Hopefully we can source a new rim before the winter. Thankfully we could use the Transporter (with seats) to bum a ride home. And then we met a convoy of really old VW kombis. Going surprisingly fast at 80 km/h.

Attachments

• 02_Stadsaal.jpg
    02_Stadsaal.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 32_Old.jpg
    32_Old.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 31_1958.jpg
    31_1958.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 22_Road_back.jpg
    22_Road_back.jpg