Oil level - dealer overfilling?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OomD

Grey Hound
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 690 Adventure
Swambo's NC went for a service yesterday. Arriving home my son tells me there's a humming noise that was not there before the service. Upon inspection the chain is found tight, very very tight. In fact, virtually no slack whatsoever when he sits on the bike!

Anyway, back to topic. I check the oil level, and it seems way overfilled. I realise the manual says its potentially damaging to overfill, but exactly how much overfill is dangerous? Should it be below, or on the FULL line? Or can it go slightly above? See photo1, I marked with a black arrow how full it was filled. Red is the max line, yellow is minimum. Is this dangerous? Or just a bit of an overzealous technician?

Lastly, I'm not a fan of oil seeping out at the joints, it tells me the gasket is not doing it's job. There's oil sweat on this engine, and it only just went for it's 12K service. The dealer noted on the job-card, "No oil leak found". Well yes, it wasn't dripping, but seeping definitely. And they did not even bother to wash it off before stating that. I'm thinking they never saw it, even though we specifically asked for them to address the oil leak. Photo 2 show the seeping oil.

While the service cost was very good (only R1364) the level of service is not too impressive. Unfortunately, due to it being a new bike I may not do the services myself. But once out of warrantee I definitely will.

Thoughts... take it back and bring it to their attention? Or just drain oil out myself and carry on with life?

Attachments

• WP_20141029_17_55_00_Pro.jpg
    WP_20141029_17_55_00_Pro.jpg
    404.9 KB · Views: 200
  • WP_20141029_17_56_52_Pro.jpg
    WP_20141029_17_56_52_Pro.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 201

Latest posts