While making plans…..(Complete trip - Finally)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grootseun

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GSA
IMG_0327.jpeg

We were sitting and enjoying a picture perfect day at the Blue Peter, fresh off an epic trip through the Karoo (Tjops in the Karoo). Still high on endorphins of days spent riding epic roads, the planning for this trip started.

After kicking a couple of ideas about, we settled on Sani Pass. Neither Biesie or I have ridden the pass, and it was a natural choice.

Fast forward a couple of months, and after more ad-hoc discussion, a plan was hatched. Biesie was to send his bike up to the big smoke, where we would embark on a 4 day trip which would include Sani pass up and down over easter.

Tasked with the route planning, and armed with basecamp and T4A, I set about planning a route. This route would include little tar, and very few straight roads.

Fouriesburg would be our first overnight stop, after which we will meander down to Underberg via Sterkfontein dam, skirting the Drakensburg. We would ride up and down sani the next day, heading to Winterton via Nottingham Road.

I was excited to show Biesie some of the roads I have traveled previously. Notably Golden Gate, Tintwa Pass, Nottingham Road and the area around the Midlands Meander. He has shown me so much of the Cape previously, and the bar has been set very high.

However, the last day’s route from Winterton, still remains unplanned.

It’s about 3 and a half weeks before the start of our trip. Accommodation has been booked, bikes serviced ( fork oil and headstock for me) and checked.

According to John Lennon, life happens while making plans. And this is an example of that sentiment.

On the 6th of march, on my way to see a supplier, I was knocked off my bike. An idiot in a rideshare vehicle drove straight in the turn-only lane to avoid the queue of cars. I was behind 2 busses that were driving side by side on Oxford road. As he pushed in behind me, he clipped my bike on the right rear. I got highsided at slow speed, and went sliding on the tar.

Winded, I eventually got up and switched off my still running bike. This idiot is out of the car shouting at me, why did I crash into him. He proceeded to tell me I must pay for the damage on his car.

This Is Africa….I was reminded of this, in the heart of Rosebank. I try and remain calm, explaining to him that he was at fault. He is having none of it, refuses to give me his details. I took a photo of him, and his license disc. After he tells me he doesn’t have Insurance, I tell him to leave in short jerky movements. I’m on my bike and out of there.

My Right shoulder is in agony, suspecting a collarbone fracture, I go report the incident at the copshop.

I eventually make it home. My front wheel is buckled as is the left disc . The rest of the damage is cosmetic. Lets hear it for upper crashbars.
IMG_1160.jpeg

IMG_1176.jpeg

My previous regret of spending money on an Alpinestars jacket got instantly erased as there is not a mark on me, and the jacket shows no signs of a slide, other than a R1 sized patch on my cuff.

I got checked out by the doc, and my x-rays are clear, no break, just muscle and ligaments.

There is still a glimmer of hope for the planned trip… If I can get my bike fixed.

The following week is spent with Insurance, which as you can imagine moves at what feels like slothspeed. I eventually make the call that the trip is off.

Making that call was incredibly crap. But there was just no way to get the bike sorted before the trip. Let alone the recovery time needed for my shoulder.

If you read this far, I’m sorry. This isn’t a ride report about awesome times in KZN and the Free State, with a hint of Lesotho .

……But stay tuned…..

Last edited:
A short while after I break the news to Biesie, he gives me a call. He devised a plan B, and If you know Biesie, there is very little that will deter him from a bike trip. Especially not a small thing like a bike accident.

He checks if I am able to still ride the weekend as planned, to which I say yes. My leave has been approved, and my mind has been set on riding bike. My shoulder is healing nicely and there should be no issues, other than not having a bike.

The bike hurdle has been sorted out I hear. Highlander, who joined us on the Tjops in the Karoo trip has kindly made his bike available. He is unable to join this ride, as the poor sod is watching GP in Japan.

He has expressed his dismay at not being able to join our easter adventure. Which tells a tale about bike tripping. When one has fomo of riding bikes while touring Japan, I guess this is something only people who tours on bikes will understand.

Wheels are set in motion, and the adventure is back on.

I fly down to Cape town on the Thursday, Highlanders bike is standing waiting in die Pêrel. We are joined by Eisbein, who due to the fortuitous nature of my crash, is now able to join.

In I guess what has become tradition now, we head off to Montagu for our first overnight stop.

The official start of a trip in this area I’m told is to stop on old Du Toit’s for an obligatory photo(s)
PHOTO-2024-04-06-12-13-35.jpeg

IMG_1307.jpeg

IMG_1306.jpeg

IMG_1305.jpeg

From here, we head in the direction of Scherpenheuwel, where we get our first taste of dirt. The 12gs feels strange to me. And it takes some time for me to get comfortable on the bike. The bike sits firmly on the dirt, and I slowly start feeling more comfortable.
PHOTO-2024-04-06-12-13-36.jpeg

PHOTO-2024-04-06-12-13-35.jpeg

We head over the Ashton bridge ( skipping the guided tour of this engineering marvel) and shortly thereafter we arrive in Montagu. The weather is overcast and cool. There are rainclouds in the area, and at one stage, it looked like we may have headed straight into some rain, but the road took us past it.

A hearty supper of Paella was had, and we turn in for the night.

Breakfast was a loaded affair, which equates to about 3 days worth of sustenance for me.
IMG_1308.jpeg

The plan is to head out of Montagu with Gamkapoort dam being our overnight stop. There is a small issue of range on the 12GS. We will only be able to fill up again in Ladismith, and this could be a couple of km’s too far for the standard 1200’s range.

It’s good to ride with fuel tankers such as Biesie’s 1150 adv and Eisbein’s 1200GS adv. Between the two of them, I should be able to siphon enough fuel to get me to Ladismith.

We fill up in town, and head out. I have ridden this route before, and it’s exactly as much fun as I remember. This time, I stop and take some pics of the rock formations.
IMG_1309.jpeg

IMG_1310.jpeg

IMG_1311.jpeg

As we ascend, we end up in some heavy fog. At one stage, visibility is about 5m, and going is slow, with lots of concentration needed.
IMG_1314.jpeg

IMG_1313.jpeg

Eventually the fog lifts, and we see Anysberg in the distance.
IMG_1315.jpeg

IMG_1316.jpeg

IMG_1317.jpeg

The last time I went through here, there was lots of water, and the Touws River was flowing nice and strong. Crossing the low water bridge this time made me realise how deep it was the previous time.
IMG_0925.png

IMG_1320.jpeg

As we moved along, the overcast clouds started to dissipate.
IMG_1322.jpeg

IMG_1324.jpeg

IMG_1325.jpeg

We stop at a t-junction for a break. A rental car (evident by it’s tourist-looking occupants) approaches us where we are stopped. It must have been the german made machines that set them at ease.

They are asking about road conditions, being worried about the vloedskade signs that are still placed on the roads. We assure them that nothing goes offroad like a rental, and they will be fine.

Day 2 To be continued….

Attachments

• IMG_1331.jpeg
    IMG_1331.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
After spending another 5 minutes adding another cable tie to my 1200’s battery terminal, we hit the road again. We pass the tourists, and enjoy a sublime piece of gravel that ends in a tar T-junction.
IMG_1331.jpeg

3aaa7e19-6654-42aa-b526-98aedd50ab8b.jpeg

30604dd1-a5d9-419d-ae09-90392a15ba0a.jpeg

We hit a right towards Calitzdorp ( I have google earth open in the background while writing so I can add some detail to this trip while retracing our route)

This beautiful tar section turns to a dirt road, leading to our eventual overnight stop.

During our breakfast, Biesie mentioned the last time they drove this road, that there is a restaurant in a converted farm dam. They have some food on offer and we aim to have lunch here. When we get there, the place is no more. The building is gutted, the dam, just looks like a broken farm dam, and there is definitely no food being prepared, nor any cold beers. Disappointed on missing out on a roadkill pizza or a muishond burger, we roll on.

As short distance after the abandoned lunch stop, we turn right into Porcupine Rest Camp, hoping to find lunch. The overlander bush pub has ice cold beers, and some packets of simba chips. We each grab a packet or two and settle down on some comfy seating. The beers and crisps hits the spot perfectly.
IMG_1339.jpeg

IMG_1337.jpeg

We decide to get going again before getting too comfortable.
IMG_1335.jpeg

We pass the Ons karoo plaas turn off and the road windds through the valley. I’m enjoying the rock formations, and the weird angle that the rocks seem to stick out the ground.
IMG_1340.jpeg

We stop at the entrance to Sewe weeks poort pass, the sign we are following points to Gamka Poort Dam, and we head in that direction. At this stage, I remember seeing photos of Sewe weeks poort, but had no idea of the awesomeness.
IMG_1343.jpeg

The road leads us to the start of Boschluiskloof pass. The view at the start of this pass is something to behold, we pause a moment to take it in, and to capture it on camera.
IMG_1347.jpeg

The pass meanders down, it has some sections where one needs to concentrate, it’s all first and second gear type stuff for me. The road eventually flattens out, but there are sections that still demands concentration.
IMG_1348.jpeg

We eventually reach our destination, the houses used by the Gamkapoort dam constructors which has been converted to accommodation. It’s basic, remote, but clean and comfortable. The views over the dam is out of this world.
The Caretaker Fox, is quite a character, an ex natal boy, champion rower, and general interesting person. He has stories to tell…

We settle down. Biesie and Eisbein opt for an afternoon nap, I decide to take in the view, and the absolute silence and tranquility. No cellphone reception, no road noise, just peace and quiet.
IMG_1349.jpeg

IMG_1352.jpeg

Late afternoon, we enjoy the sunset. It changes the landscape, and paint everything orange/pink.
View attachment IMG_1360.jpeg

Dinner is some steaks and wors off the braai, with a glass or two of Jim Beam After some Route 43
IMG_1356.jpeg

The stars fill up the night sky, and we are in awe.

We opt to turn in before the moonrise, as it took too long to rise.

Lets not talk about sleep, snorers or mosquitoes.

To be continued….

Last edited:
, the houses used by the Gamkapoort dam constructors

Interesting fact. All the management and engineers lived where Fox and you stayed. All the workers stayed on the Prins Albert side of the dam. The foundations of the buildings are still there.

Day 3 has us waking with the sunrise.
IMG_1366.jpeg

I realised, I had a heavy hand with the Jim Beams, which in turn made me snore properly, which in turn had Bieisie vacate the room and sleep in the lounge.

We have little in the form of supplies around breakfast. There is a left over tjop, steak and a piece of wors, and I brew up some fresh coffee. My moka pot, grinder and fresh beans traveled with me. No milk, or sugar. The coffee is black and strong.

Having the coffee overlooking the dam is unsurpassed in terms of visual settings.

We pack up, saddle up and make our way down to bid our farewell to Fox. If one budgets 2 minutes for this ceremony, it’s best to double that time. This man likes to talk.

We hit the road towards Boshluiskloof Pass. This is the only way into and out of this side of the dam.

My fuel gauge suddenly decides to show that my supply is dwindling. Perhaps I didn’t pay proper attention to it going down the pass, but I’m aware of it now, and it’s in the back of my head.

It feels a lot shorter from the dam back to where the road splits to sewe weeks poort, it’s just the way it is. Unknown roads feel further.

Now I’ve been writing this report so far, and I don’t think I’m fully expressing my constant awe, and pure enjoyment of riding in this area. The scenery is no-stop. The amazing rock formations and the way the mountains were formed is simply mind boggling.

And boy, was I in for a treat. This day would turn out to be a big day in terms of riding. I don’t want to put the cart before the horse, but from here, it gets better and better by the kilometer.

Completely oblivious of what lies ahead, I head into sewe weeks poort with my riding partners.

I’m rubbernecking like people in cages do at the scene of an accident. I keep my sleed nice and sedate, so I can take it all in. The mountains, and cliff faces seem to go all the way into the blue sky.
acaad280-ba50-449a-9500-e55da662345c.jpeg

There is a little traffic, but nothing to deter us from enjoying this show.
f79172c4-4c0d-4651-8ffa-fafac1175e8b.jpeg

5db5fc01-c239-4ff7-ba4d-ac231ff89477.jpeg

IMG_1373.jpeg

IMG_1370.jpeg

I took a lot of videos on this trip, I’ll try and stitch something together this time for youtube.

Too soon this spectacular section of road is over, and we eventually reach the tar.
IMG_1376.jpeg

It’s the first time in a long while that there is phone signal, and we all check in with our loved ones to confirm that we have not fallen off the face of the earth.

Other than using the camera on my phone, I did not for one second mind not being reachable on my phone.

I’ts like the old days, where if you ring someones house, and there is no answer, they are clearly not home, and try again later or the next day.

The tar leads us to Ladismith. I’m expecting the reserve light to appear any minute, but it never came on. Turns out, we are really cruising, while sightseeing and the consumption reflects this.

We roll into Ladismith for some fuel, and to grab some breakfast.

Toasted bacon egg and cheese sarmies from Sophia’s and some coffee.

Bikes gets filled up, and we hit the road again.

After some more tar, we take a left onto dirt in the direction of Van Wyk’s dorp. This is a dry and dusty piece of road, with some vehicles kicking up dust. We take a left at Van Wyk’s dorp and head to Rooiberg Pass.
636e3129-f65b-4f95-adea-297e96071ff3.jpeg

BMW posers everywhere…smh
23e99572-6c74-482a-9874-e71e3359729c.jpeg

We stop often for some photos. The road seems to climb forever. Each time I turn a corner thinking we will surely start to descend soon, it climbs some more.
ce6c48da-910e-470e-9bcf-5fa21bca1b18.jpeg

ef23b1b1-ddbc-4d82-9898-3c478a0c0e19.jpeg

d277c8e9-7688-404e-88c5-033b2537d26f.jpeg

The vistas are beautiful, and one can see for kilometers, a complete contrast from the cliffs and mountains of sewe weeks.

b79ae6d6-83fe-4f9e-b21a-00a3f64586b1.jpeg

IMG_1384.jpeg

IMG_1390.jpeg

We eventually crest the peak. We skip the lookout point, its packed with KTM riders and Jimnys. We do wave as we ride past. The descent is little trickier than the ascent, the biggest risk is missing a turn, because of admiring the scenery. I’m enjoying my riding immensely today, and I am getting more comfortable on the 12GS with every km.
IMG_1392.jpeg

The road takes us into Calitzdorp. We find a place across the church, and choose a table on the veranda, to keep an eye on the bikes.
IMG_1394.jpeg

The owner informs us that he is unfortunately not licensed, but points us to the bottle store. We opt to rather load up on sugar, so we order ice cream with some cokes to drink. Probably weird seeing 3 dusty, kitted up, hardcore, overlanding adventurers eating ice cream. But we’re not in this to look cool, we just wanna ride our bikes.

I opt to fill up again, this is the last fuel we get till Prins Albert the next day. We have a small detour between then and now.

I’ll continue writing again tomorrow…

Sorry about the delay in getting another day loaded.
Just before the trip started, I was offered a job with one of our suppliers.
I was made an offer in Biesies car on the way from the airport, and I have subsequently started my new job. So things have been out of t
He ordinary the last couple of weeks. Without any further ado.

Last edited:
Leaving Calitzdorp, we ride through a large group of riders gathering to ride the same direction as us. Soon, I have the lead rider on my tail. I’m sightseeing, he is not. I let him pass, in fact. I let the whole group pass. I don’t want to feel pressured with someone behind me. Our little group of three agreed from the start, we ride together, and stop if we wanna stop for fotos, and we take breaks every so often.

I eventually get going again, and soon I meet up with my other two amigos. They had the same idea as me. The large group is now well ahead, and we get to enjoy this gem of a road.

The road passes the Nel’s Rivier dam, and there are properties ( farms) that sits next to the Nel’s river. I wouldn’t mind a litle spot here.
IMG_1397.jpeg

The road is very scenic, and once again very different from anything we travelled thus far. There are some cliff faces on one side, with lush trees creating a canopy over the road in other sections. The twists in the road must be a pleasure riding at speed, but oncoming traffic, and other obstacles will certain end one’s ride in tears.
I took a couple of videos of this section, hopefully I’ll. do a video to post on youtube to share here.

I ended up in front for this section somehow, but I stop at the Kruisrivier junction to make sure I’m on the right route. Good thing I did, else I would have ended up in Buffels kloof, while my companions headed to Swartberg Nature reserve.

I eagerly get back in line, and follow the leader towards the nature reserve.

The nature reserve is packed with animals, we see probably 10 or 15 Giraffe, amongst loads of other game. The dirt road ens at a bridge, where we take a small break in the shade. I send a message to the wife, that I will only be able to message again the following day. I share a couple of pics, and she said we need to go ride our bicycles there.
IMG_1404.jpeg

IMG_1402.jpeg

I also foolishly ask if that section past the game reserve was Swartberg pass, I mean why else would they call the game reserve that?

The chuckles from Biesie and Eisben sets me in my place. We saddle up, and I have no idea the awesomeness that lies ahead.

There is no way to be prepared for Swartberg Pass. The initial parts are not difficult or technical, and as the road follows the contours up, it gets steeper and steeper.

The view is never ending.
0956b682-e2bc-403a-bc03-c117d2ade35c.jpeg

Some traffic from the front, sone people seem to not remember that it’s keep left, pass right, even on a dirt road.

I stop for photos a couple of times.
3763e851-7281-4fb3-93a3-b20454d6cdcf.jpeg

We make it to the top, and there are a couple of vehicles there. On the other side, the rest of swartberg pass, and the entrance to our little detour.
5fc9a93e-722e-4904-8270-520ee1c22606.jpeg

IMG_1416.jpeg

We take some snaps, and take in the view. When one travels on bike, random people will just start talking, a gent shares his riding experience. For an introvert such as myself, it has taught me to engage a little, ask a question or so, but not too much.

5fc9a93e-722e-4904-8270-520ee1c22606.jpeg

4ab2e049-7cb5-405c-bbd4-89cdb5477895.jpeg

4d250469-d3ff-450e-95a7-fdbd1fbd29a2.jpeg

(Those posers again smh

Not too long after posing for some “epic to share on whatsapp profile photos’ we make our way down.
It’s around 3pm when we take the road left towards Die Hel.

We have been riding since around 8am, and this would have an effect on the next two hours without us realising it. Up to this point, it’s been easy gravel, nothing technical other than one or two small sections on the way to Gamkapoort Dam.

There is a sign that warns of bad road conditions with around 2 hours travel time for the 40 kms. I did not take the sign to heart, because you know….bikes. There is a cork bark tree where a large group of riders are in various poses of rest. Not sure if they went in and out on the same day, or just rode out and took a break from the heat.
Soon after, we start to work hard, and lots of concentration is needed.

Going is slow, I guess my years of MTB riding has taught me some skills that translates to moto, as I am struggling with the slower pace. Momentum is your friend when it comes to tech riding, while having some mechanical sympathy.
We stop for a breather and some photos.
IMG_1423.jpeg

IMG_1424.jpeg

IMG_1425.jpeg

After this section, the road deteriorates quite a lot. Some sections are better, and it’s possible to hook 3rd gear, for about 50m, then it’s back down to 2nd and 1st.

I can see Biesie is working hard, he is opting to go slower on the tricky sections, but it looks like he is battling the bike more.
In hindsight I should have backed up sooner and given him some space. I don’t think the added pressure of me behind him was conducive to the situation.
Eventually I let him and Eisbein go ahead, I give them plenty of time to give me some space to ride at my pace.

The Road into Die Hel is carved into the side of the mountains, on the left there is the mountain. On the right, the valley where the river is steadily carving its way into the bedrock, and will be doing so beyond the liefecycle of mankind. The views are spectacular. The fact that we are on this road during golden hour (two) makes it even more spectacular.
509768fa-9d24-45be-95c6-00bbb66e28e4.jpeg

05b8658f-e95d-43fd-83b0-e02bddd2a6c8.jpeg

IMG_1443.jpeg

IMG_1438.jpeg

IMG_1437.jpeg

f164d7ba-5a7a-41f3-932a-fcf1dae70235.jpeg

IMG_1441.jpeg

IMG_1442.jpeg

We eventually reach the final corner before the decent into Die Hel starts. I have been thinking this must be it for the last couple of turns, but every time the road keeps on going, and another section of mountain appears.

48de2572-3b42-4071-887c-f9527679c7a0.jpeg

Without too much of hesitation, we start the road that descends to where our overnight stop is. I give my riding partners a good gap. There are sections where the berock is exposed, some serious line choice decisions that needs to be made, in my case, probably not too pretty, but it’s successful if you are still on your bike and not rolling down the side of the cliff.

Some nice tight switchbacks, by now, my arms and legs have started complaining. It’s been a long day, and we are not at our destination yet.
IMG_1447.jpeg

The road flattens out and we are on the valley floor. We take another short break and tha Sanparks office, which I believe is now deserted.
The sun is not visible anymore, as we are in the shadows of the mountains.

Only a short ride to the camp. I am following Esibein and Helmuth, they miss the detour to the left, and get stuck in some rocks and stones, I cruise by on the left hand side to re-join inf front of them. I see they are properly stuck.

My bike is put on the sidestand, and I walk back to assist. They are both panting, sweating and swearing. We get the bikes free and pointed in the semblance of a line out, and they stop in front of my bike.
I suggest we take a minute or 5 to catch a breath and let some of the adrenaline subside. The conversation revolves around the two of them missing the detour, and me cruising by like nothing.

We get going again, and then for shirts and giggles, we are faced with sections of sandy tweespoor. I ride it like I’m a top 10 finisher in the Dakar. Eisbein and Biesie has a couple of moments.

We finally make it to the Rest Camp and check in.

It’s another 500m to the chalets and of course, there is a bit of sand, and the driveway up to the chalet is very tricky. (For tired bikers)
Rooms are chosen (I get the one that is farthest away, curtesy of my snoring habit.)
Biesie arranged some meat, salad and refreshments for us, and we have to trek back to the reception to collect. I think the sand realised it was being ridden, and I have a little moment making some s’es in the middle man.

We collect our sustenance and refreshments and head back to the chalets. I concentrate especially hard, as there is some precious cargo on the back of my bike.
We settle down, and make a fire. Beers, cooldrinks and food was had in abundance.
IMG_1450.jpeg

Eisbein checks on his GPS, and we took a heluva detour to basically overnight a couple of kms away from Fox’s accomodation at Gamkapoort Dam. We hit the bed early, as each one of us was properly tired.

To sum up, we started the day in next to Gamkapoort dam, from there it was : Boschluiskloof pass up, Seweweeks poort, Rooiberg Pass, Groenrivier Farms, Swartberg Pass and the road to hell. A big day by anyone’s standards.

The stars are out again, I can not get used to seeing so many in the sky.

For a place called Die Hel, this is heavenly.

More to follow.

Attachments

• IMG_1427.jpeg
    IMG_1427.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1426.jpeg
    IMG_1426.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1428.jpeg
    IMG_1428.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1430.jpeg
    IMG_1430.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1431.jpeg
    IMG_1431.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1433.jpeg
    IMG_1433.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1440.jpeg
    IMG_1440.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 74aa17bb-6bf1-4359-9028-780d8da4fb91.jpeg
    74aa17bb-6bf1-4359-9028-780d8da4fb91.jpeg
    650.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
My new job is going well. I have been focussed on that mostly, and ride report writing has taken a backseat.

But I have some more words and photos for now.

I slept like a corpse. The mosquito issue of the previous night was not the same here. I suspect citronella oil in the lamps to be the reason for this.
The last time I had a shower was the morning we left Montagu. I saw a gas geyser behind the unit, my attempt to get it going was as futile as the previous person, evident by the heap of spent matches below. I decided to brave a cold bath. I felt like getting the previous 2 days’ sweat off as much as possible. Marginally successful.
IMG_1452.jpeg

IMG_1453.jpeg

We pack up, Breakfast at the restaurant was arranged for 7:30. We have to make our way out the same way we came in. There is a slight nervousness in our little group.
On the way to the restaurant, the sand has my number. I’m snaking and throwing landing gear a lot. What the hell happened between yesterday afternoon and this morning?
I make it to breakfast without putting the bike down. Good.
We have a very tasty brekkie with Bodum coffee. In the meantime 2 vehicles settle their bills and head back up the switchback climb. Our timing is slightly off with this.
We get going and it’s me and the sand. I end up facing the road at a tangent into some small bushes. Bike and rider still upright.
Soon the sandy track ends, thankfully. None of my sand riding prowess of yesterday afternoon is to be found today.
IMG_1454.jpeg

We stop at the abandoned parks huts, and watch as the vehicles ascend, slowly. There is another vehicle behind us, trailing an offroad caravan.
We work out a gameplan for this little hill. A decision is made to stop at whatever flattish section we can find, giving the vehicles in front more time to exit. This way, we get a break ( I was already sweating profusely from my little sand encounter) the vehicles in front gains distance, and we are not keen on being pressured by the vehicle behind, so we start our attempt.
Between the 3 of us, Biesie and Eisbein’s confidence is way up. Mine, not so much.
Ascending is more complicated than descending, the bike gets thrown around more, the rear wheel has a mind of its own. I hit several of the lines incorrectly, resulting in me working unnecessarily hard. We stop at a switchback that has a nice flat bit. It’s hot, I’m drenched in sweat.
IMG_1456.jpeg

The two vehicles in front make it to the last corner, where they pull over for photos. The caravan towing vehicle behind is making good progress. The driver knows his stuff.
IMG_1457.jpeg

We remount and tackle the remainder of the climb. Without any incident, we all make it to the top. A last glance to take in the valley in the morning sun, and we ride the rest of the road to swartberg pass.

Going is generally a lot faster than when we came through here yesterday. I think everyone’s gain in confidence made for faster going, and as always the road out feels a lot shorter if it is familiar.
We stop for photos, and a breather a couple of times, not for too long, as the vehicles behind is catching up.
Amongst the tricky road, there are some MTB riders from the front, they seem to having the time of their lives, and I must admit, it does look like fun, except climbing back out from the valley will not be my favourite part of the ride on a bicycle.
We catch up to a vehicle in front and we wait at the bottom of a particularly tricky bit. There is some groundwater, and the terrain is undulating, and the last thing I want to do is having to stop on that surface behind a vehicle. Once the vehicle clears, we roll through. Sections of loose stones provide a bit of a wobble every now and again, but nothing too serious.
It feels like too soon, and we arrive at the cork tree. We dismount, and enjoy the shade. It’s been nice and toasty, and I welcome the shade and the opportunity to catch my breath.
IMG_1461.jpeg

We discuss the route we just rode, and the general feeling is positive, with a sense of accomplishment. Die Hel has been conquered and ticked off my bucket list. I have photos and a tale to tell. Life is pretty farking awesome.
But like every aspect of this trip, when one thinks that it just can’t get any better....our route planner has been silently saying, Hou my dop....

At the exit of the road to hel, we take a left for the remainder of and the best part of Swartberg Pass.
It’s pretty busy, losts of vehicles on the road.
A good view of the valley can be seen from the top, and if you have not ridden this road before, there’s just no way of predicting the beauty and exactly how spectacular this piece of South Africa is.
IMG_1462.jpeg

I crawl down, as I’m taking in the scenery. Doing this while going at pace will end in tears (with tears, I mean serious injury or death.)
IMG_1463.jpeg

IMG_1465.jpeg

It simply is indescribable, there is a theme of impossibly twisted rocks in most of the mountains we transversed or rode by and the forces that caused this, in unfathomable.
It really boggles my mind, and I think about it a lot (probably more than I should).
IMG_1467.jpeg

We stop at the bottom of the pass at the river. Biesie and I make our way down after taking off shoes and socks. I fill up Eisbein’s camelback. The water is crystal clear and not too icy. This little stop is most refreshing.
IMG_1468.jpeg

IMG_1468.jpeg
IMG_1469.jpeg

At the top, there is a small bus of Dutch tourists, they decided to walk this little piece at the bottom, as this is by far the best way to take in the geological marvel. We exchange a few words in Afrikaans about the bikes, and how beautiful this area is.
IMG_1471.jpeg

We get going again, onwards to Prins Albert. The magnificent mountains are behind us quickly, and the temps are climbing rapidly.
Prins Albert is quite busy and is very picturesque. We stop for fuel and a cooldrink.
From here Biesie and I still have a way to go, and Eisbein is heading back home.
IMG_1473.jpeg

IMG_1474.jpeg

We stop at the N1.
IMG_1479.jpeg

Eisbein is taking a left back to the Cape, and Bieisie and I move onwards to Merweville. It was great to ride with Eisbein again. I am looking forward to the next one.

Our stop for the night is a guest farm outside of Calvinia, and it’s a couple of hour’s travel still.
The stark difference in Landscape and temperature is very noticeable. The Karoo wind is pumping, and it’s farking hot. I normally prefer to ride with my visor open, it’s a temperature and suffocation thing.
IMG_1480.jpeg

This time it’s cooler to keep the visor closed. As the road changes direction slightly, the wind is either from the side or the front. As with two wheels, both motorised and human powered, never from behind.
IMG_1481.jpeg

We roll into Merveville. The leaves the only thing stirring in town from the warm breeze. In front of the church we take a small break underneath a tree on the sidewalk.
My camelback water is unpleasantly warm.
IMG_1482.jpeg
IMG_1483.jpeg

We get going again, next stop Sutherland. There is a promise of lunch and cold beer, and this thought keeps me going for the next couple of hours.
IMG_1484.jpeg

The Road between Merweville and Sutherland has some gates. A lot of gates. It felt like as soon as one gets into a bit of a rhythm, it’s slow down, Biesie opens the gate, I ride through, dismount and close the gate behind Biesie.
It goes on forever. It did become less novel as the day progressed. The scenery however is once again on another level.
IMG_1485.jpeg

IMG_1487.jpeg

IMG_1488.jpeg

IMG_1489.jpeg

IMG_1490.jpeg

IMG_1491.jpeg

IMG_1492.jpeg

Lekker lekker.... herleef weer elke kilo