Old mountain trails

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leftless

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
I phoned Andy660 late yesterday for a little excursion I had planned for this morning. 

I have been plotting some real old mountain trails or to be more precise the early cape settler’s wagon trails for over a year.  The interesting portions are where they crossed the mountains.  There are more than 20 documented passes to the North and East of the CT within 100km.  Five of these were turned into modern day tar roads, some into hiking and mountain bike trails and some forgotten. 

Back to the story …  Andy pitched around 8 and we set off.  This being my first trip in about six months I took it fairly slow and jumped onto the first railway track I could find.  Had to see in the bike works and that I actually remember to ride – it felt that long.

The bike turned into an instant hooligan (just like I remember), down the tracks, over fences, across farm yards, sliding through corners – I just held on for dear life…

Now, just to put things in perspective, the cartographers of the 1800’s did not have gps units loaded with topographical maps, nor did they have Google Earth so the old maps were left open for interpretation.  Or goal was to locate some of the tracks I have identified as old trails.  We succeeded to locate five trails on the list although I was actually just looking for three - for the day that was. 

One track was not openly accessible and we continued to look for a “back entrance” to the trail as we heard the farmer is a bit difficult.  This means we had to cross some forestry land, cross a mountain range on what looks like a hiking trail and join the track mid-way. 

Now neither Andy or myself were actually planning on riding any of the trails, the purpose of the ride was to verify the locations.  My hand is not quite fixed or healed properly and Andy’s balance is slightly off, so we were just “looking”.  The bikes on the other hand had some different ideas – just checking if this might be the road became riding up some restricted road constantly looking over our showers to if forestry were following….

Over the top and out of sight we stopped to take some picks, them heard it…  A helicopter,  a JetRanger nogal, straight up where we were, it hovered for a sec checking us out (I could almost touch it) it continued and turned – oh f*@k, nous daar k#k! went through both my and Andy’s minds.  Funny how the mind thinks up crap when you know you are some place tou think you shouldn’t be.

05122010454.jpg

05122010455.jpg

05122010457.jpg

05122010458.jpg

We continued into the valley found what we were looking for and quietly left again.  Coming down the track I was expecting forestry to be waiting, but nothing.  At the refuelling stop we asked the locals about the track and they reported that the valley is open to the general public but that some permits were required and could be purchased in Wolseley.

We came back via Slanghoek rd – what a stunning road.  Although tar it is really beautiful with some stunning buildings and views of the mountains.  From there we crossed DuToits Kloof, stop for a snack at the top and returned home safely.

Andy, thanks for great company along a very tame route.

:thumleft:  n toekomstige wilddog uitry  :drif:

ek het ook 'n lekker 1 nog om te gaan probeer, daar is 'n ou ossewa pad wat na bo op die berg gaan tussen die denneboom plantasie op die berg, daar is 'n groot protea plantasie ook wat nie meer benut word nie verder is daar net jagluiperds en bobbejane, die plaas gebruik net die area vir die opgaar damme op die berg en ek het toestemming om daar te kan ry aangesien ek vir die maatskapy werk, lokasie is sowat 10km buite Piketberg op die Eendekuil pad. Ek gaan iewers in volgende week weer plaas toe so sal 'n bietjie uitvind of ek 'n trip kan reel na op die berg.

Attachments

• image953 [1024x768].jpg
    image953 [1024x768].jpg
    174.2 KB
Great stuff leftless. :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: 

You are an inspiration.

Can you tell us a bit more about your operation and how you are handling the challenge you have to ride?:hello2: 

We arent going up any roads , he says ! Then should we have a look ? Erm , Ag , lets just go up a bit and make sure its the right road , I follow , get up quite a bit , the road has just been graded and is in a good condition , ag ... I overtake him ,not that he`s slow , just that he`s taking it slow ,waiting for me , but he`s right behind me, I take it real slow round the corners , lots of marbles.
Ooops , we at the top !

And I thought someone was going to catch us for sure !

andypix062.jpg

The last time we came looking for this road , Crossed-up and I didnt find it , but we were very close actualy !

andypix065.jpg

andypix064.jpg

andypix063.jpg

andypix074.jpg

andypix071.jpg

Really great to have one of my old riding mates back on his bike , Crossed-up and Wayneh , we waiting for you both !

Welcome back Leftless !

andypix046.jpg

riding in a non entry forestry area.......and I wonder why I pay for permits to cyle there. Some of us live hear we are left with disgrantled forestry official and conservationists. there is clear no entry signs at the entry of the pass.

And your point is ?

Most of the Karoo roads have such signs.

We stayed on the road and didnt ride through the forest or the bush , like the mountain bikes do .

The permit office is closed on Sundays , we asked !

Glad you had a successful ride.  Great to see Leftless back on his bike.  Looks good! 

Andy660 said:
And your point is ?

Most of the Karoo roads have such signs.

We stayed on the road and didnt ride through the forest or the bush , like the mountain bikes do .

The permit office is closed on Sundays , we asked !

This is a forestry area not open to any motorbikes or private cars. It is only open to cyclists.

This is not the Karoo, but a high fire risk area. That plantation down in the valley is worth R17million.

The permits are for cyclist only.

I am not trying to cause a scene here, but would like to inform the other dogs to the rules of the area.

If you had to go ride around the Tokai forest or the mountain roads on Table Mountain with your Motorbike I wonder how the reaction would be?
We have been trying to get entry for bikes and 4x4 for sometime now and if they check bike tracks up there in the height of fire season this doesn't help. Forestry won't even allow Cape Nature in there with working crews if they don't have a firefighting rig with them.

This forest won't be replanted and as soon as a area is harvested it becomes part of Cape Nature.

The normal rule of thumb is to stay off land that has either a “do not enter” or “private” signs, a locked gate etc.  The purpose of the trip was to locate the tracks and trails, see on what land they are, locate the owners in order to ask permission to access the trails. 

We located all the trails we were looking for (did not access the land stuck to public access tracks) and identified the land and will contact the owners.  We also learned where and how to gain access to the valley (the entrance was unknown to me), and where to purchase permits.  I have a couple of things to look for up there and will definitely return (with a permit).

Prior to the trip I have had discussions with members of the 4x4 community as well as some locals that access this valley regularly, with no mention of permits.  My interest is not that valley but some adjacent land.

There were no a “do not enter” or “private” signs or any locked gates we had to disassemble.  There is also a distinct lack of info on how to access the track in the report.

The Tulbagh valley has seven historic mountain passes leading into it from the West and out on the East.  One of which is the oldest pass in the country being identified by Jan Van Ribeek and commissioned by Simon Van Der Stel.  These passes exclude the passes to the South leading West to Wellington and East Ceres.  There is also a confirmed signal cannon site on one of the ridges that formed part of the Cape’s signals network.  These trails form a distinct part of our history.

The trip was not just a little joy ride up a mountain to see how many people we could pi55 off.

I do understand the concern.

Kobus - ek stel baie belang in wat jy doen. Hou ons asseblief op hoogte as jy inligting het oor hoe om wettig om van die grond te beweeg.

Leftless I understand and would love to help with info.

I just needed to inform on the Suurvlak section as it is VERY fragile concerning bikers and goverment (the land owner) and us neighbours. I have kept out of that section for more than 16 years to try and get permision to someday go ride there.

Anyway some useless info:

The original pass into Tulbagh vally that Pieter Potter (the guy van der Stel sent and who then named the pace : Het land van Waveren ???) used is on my neighbours farm. Our farm is named after the old road coming from the pass Slagterspad. You will C the board as you exit the Nuwekloof pass on the left. The main route into Tulbagh later on was over Roodezandt (via the back of Saronsberg from the 24 riviere side).

They wanted to run the epic over it this year, but unfortunately the owner of the farm refused bicycles entry..............can you imagine he find bike on his farm.

They will be going over the Witzenberg into the witzenberg mountain during the epic using some of the old trails. These have not been used in years. My dad told me when they were younger he wen't over that section with his TT 600.

No I am not looking for k@k or being a nat sak but I really think you okes down on the colony should start respecting Forestry and Cape Nature property. Do you have any idea what powers the Acts grand officials if they catch you?

Bear in mind that the onus is on you to make sure that whereever you go or ride it is legal to do so. The old saying that its easier to ask for forgiveness than permission spring to mind here. As  rule of thumb and from experience I see ALL areas above the farming lines or mountain slopes as out of bounds.

One cant expect signs "ferbotten" everywhere.

https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=53872.0

Ama ride ride said:
No I am not looking for k@k or being a nat sak but I really think you okes down on the colony should start respecting Forestry and Cape Nature property. Do you have any idea what powers the Acts grand officials if they catch you?

Bear in mind that the onus is on you to make sure that whereever you go or ride it is legal to do so. The old saying that its easier to ask for forgiveness than permission spring to mind here. As  rule of thumb and from experience I see ALL areas above the farming lines or mountain slopes as out of bounds.

One cant expect signs "ferbotten" everywhere.

https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=53872.0

Most of us already respect it - that is why the legality is being discussed. Those that don't ask, are found everywhere. I agree with your statement.

As Leftless has said , we are interested in our history , we dont make public our routes and only take people to land where we have befriended farmers or where we have got permission.
Apologies if we have offended anyone , its not our intension to ride around pissing people off.

Most of the ox wagon trails aren't exactly ridable or even reachable , but we would like to just go and see them all the same.
I even joined the Cannon society , so we can be up the mountains on a more official note.

This route was done with permission from the farmer on either side of the mountain , one being Afrikaans the other being Irish . Do you know the Irishman Tau ?

anypicstulbach033.jpg

We used to hike and ride the Oudekloof pass as kids, it has unfortunately been eroded badly. One can still go up from Tulbagh side and then walk up to the old canon.