Onward to the Big Hole over the little dunes... A D&D Jaunt.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobCrouch

Not a bachelor.
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLR 650
Little dunes refer to the corrugations we hit every once in a while on our trip to Kimberly via the dirt roads along the Modder river... my daughter referred to them as being "Klein Dune". :imaposer:
My daughter was to be my pillion for the day and enjoyed the time out in the fresh air with her camera... when we did take a break that is...
We left after 8am after filling up etc. at Bloemgate Total (Get your printer fixed dudes!). The first stretch was the S326 towards the river, then after following the S328 it dead ended at Buffalo Ranch gate! :xxbah:
So we doubled back across the river and headed west again on the S264, this alternated with the S141 and other S roads as we crossed the river.
Looking back across the causeway...
Dad checking out where the steel beams were made... remains of the railing.
Leftover stumps from the last floods...
The photographer being snapped!

Attachments

• IMG_3580 (Small).JPG
    IMG_3580 (Small).JPG
    56.4 KB
  • IMG_3579 (Small).JPG
    IMG_3579 (Small).JPG
    53.4 KB
  • IMG_3577 (Small).JPG
    IMG_3577 (Small).JPG
    51.9 KB
  • IMG_3582 (Small).JPG
    IMG_3582 (Small).JPG
    59.2 KB
Then we spied the steel bridge on the S319 and took some more pictures...
The steel is in dire need of some paint!
The Old Man peering over the side again...
The weir across the river...
Group portrait...

Attachments

• IMG_3584 (Small).JPG
    IMG_3584 (Small).JPG
    58.8 KB
  • IMG_3585 (Small).JPG
    IMG_3585 (Small).JPG
    56.7 KB
  • IMG_3586 (Small).JPG
    IMG_3586 (Small).JPG
    53.4 KB
  • IMG_3588 (Small).JPG
    IMG_3588 (Small).JPG
    53.4 KB
By this time I sensed a sore butt beginning to manifest in the less experienced member of the expedition and we continued past Paardeberg with just a cursory stop and explanation of the action that happened there a century ago, then we hit the N12 to Kimberly.
Stopped at the Diamond Pavilion Mall and had brunch at the Wimpy. The center has the best bike parking bays I have ever seen! Plus all parking is free! The security was sharp and we felt very safe leaving most of our gear in the top box. :thumleft:
After that we found the Big Hole... changed quite a bit since we had last been there as well, the swaying observation bridge/deck was quite an experience in the light breeze that was blowing. :eek:
Sway up there...
The Old Man up to his peering down trick again...
The photographer caught peering...
Ja, did diep... baie, baie diep...
Then we filled up and headed back home... no further pics taken apart from the rubber... the leg stretch stops became mandatory ever 60 off K from there on but we had a great day! :thumleft:

Attachments

• IMG_3589 (Small).JPG
    IMG_3589 (Small).JPG
    58.8 KB
  • IMG_3592 (Small).JPG
    IMG_3592 (Small).JPG
    53.2 KB
  • IMG_3593 (Small).JPG
    IMG_3593 (Small).JPG
    66.4 KB
  • IMG_3595 (Small).JPG
    IMG_3595 (Small).JPG
    70 KB
Miepels said:
Lekker muddy!
Ja, with the rains of late it has come down a few times as WA is keeping Krugersdrift at 80%.
I have not seen the veldt looking so good for many seasons!

Nice one, Rob. I would love to do a trip like this with my daughter one day soon.

Nice one RobC I  travel thru there often with the cage it looks so much more fun with the bikes....... :thumleft: :thumleft:

And yep there has been some serious rain recently..... and the fiels and grasslands do look stunning.... :biggrin: