Oryx 690 Impressions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great bike and really  :drif: worthy but you highlighted a worry that I have. Most dogs will think I am nuts but....

This bike is to hardcore for a "garage queen" like me.

But great write up! You should do this for a living.... ;)

Snafu said:
Excellent review, but somehow, i don't see you another bike than the 950!! :)

My thoughts edzachery!!

Thanks A- enjoyed it!  :thumleft:

Great review, Andrew. Agree with Grrrr that you could easily be doing reviews for a living. Curious to know if you have ridden a XR650R and if so, how you would rate the two bikes head to head on performance and handling?

Very nice writeup A. :thumleft:
What does the Oryx sell for?

ChinaPete said:
Great review, Andrew. Agree with Grrrr that you could easily be doing reviews for a living. Curious to know if you have ridden a XR650R and if so, how you would rate the two bikes head to head on performance and handling?

Have been with Brakenjan with his and few others but never ridden them. They seem to have a pretty rabid following and a huge racing pedigree.

chrisL said:

I seem to remember R107k to end Dec 2011. Does not include the pipe.

A bit of a bargain I feel.

Their website has the details.

Kamanya said:
chrisL said:

I seem to remember R107k to end Dec 2011. Does not include the pipe.

A bit of a bargain I feel.

Their website has the details.

R105k actually, that is if any are left.

The 2012 models will be about R10 000 more depending on model.

Kamanya said:
ChinaPete said:

Have been with Brakenjan with his and few others but never ridden them. They seem to have a pretty rabid following and a huge racing pedigree.

Apologies, in retrospect I should not have asked for comparisons as this was essentially a KTM 690 review on a bike sponsored by the agent. As they say in Chinese 'bu hao yisi'.  :)

Not at all, if I had some info on the XR650R I would gladly compare. Comparisons are great.

Ashley knew I would write a ride report and was keen to know my thoughts and hoped I'd like it but was also quick to say, if I didn't then to say why too.

2StrokeDan said:
Maybe Kamanya should hook up with Berserker to test his Honda XR650R? I would also like to see how they square up.

Also, just in the interest of fairness, what about throwing in a 1978 Yamaha XT500S to make it a relevant comparison?

Jacko said:
2StrokeDan said:
Maybe Kamanya should hook up with Berserker to test his Honda XR650R? I would also like to see how they square up.

Also, just in the interest of fairness, what about throwing in a 1978 Yamaha XT500S to make it a relevant comparison?

Please do ! :happy1:

That is a really Nice Report on this Awsome Looking bike :thumleft: :thumleft:

Andrew,.. your style of writting is  :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

It makes me  :drif: :drif: :drif: :drif: :drif:

A also makes me wish I had some extra Cash to head off to KTM & buy one of them fine machines. ;) ;D

Thanks a lot for sahring this info :thumleft:

Jacko said:
2StrokeDan said:

I owned 3 of them.

There is no comparison.

I bought one of these from Ashley, still in the box I believe. I am only taking delivery in Feb 2012 though, but I can't wait !!

https://uk2za.wordpress.com/2011/12/16/new-mini-african-adventure/  :ricky:

Wolfmother said:
I think you should get paid to test bikes for a living..   :eek:

If he wants to downgrade to a flat in Belville  :peepwall:

Jacko, on one condition, the bike must have done 100 000 kms on the original unopened engine. Then we compare, but of course the XT will be alone.
What is a XT500S?
I know that the 690 will beat the XR, I would like to see how far. The XR650R was a very advanced bike when it came out, many years ago.