Oryx 690 Impressions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Excellent Review Andrew!

If only I could have both,  990 for touring and the 690 for playing , but then again the KTM 450 would make more sense.

Legadema said:
If only I could have both,  990 for touring and the 690 for playing

After pondering this last night, this for me was also the dilemma. There is a lot of overlap. If I had both I would be hard pressed to choose between the 2. I suspect that while the Oryx was still a novelty, the 950 would see little action. But after some time of ownership, if distances and shortness of time were involved, it would probably be the 950. If it was going to be a bit more hardcore and fuel consumption was going to be an issue then the 690 would be the weapon of choice.

Also, if patience is not a virtue, I can imagine the 690 because of its ability, might create some issues riding with others who don't have such able steeds.  

Owning both would be a luxury and problem I'd love to try wrestle with.

Yep, having two bikes is like having two women. (nice in the short term, but a bit of a dilemma thereafter)

Doerengone said:
Yep, having two bikes is like having two women. (nice in the short term, but a bit of a dilemma thereafter)

I had a Dakar and 640 simultaniously, also reasoned that the Dakar was going to be the commuter and the 640 for playing.

did not last long, poor Dakar never got ridden.........

@ Kamanya

What would be nice is a long term test, say 15k km of serious offroad touring, with real luggage etc.

I believe a big thumper to be the appropriate tool, provided it can go the distance.

I think you should speak to Ash, and revisit your Kunene river road trip (Speaking under correction, I think it was your first biggie on the 950)

Talking about long trips the RR of Wouter and Braamk's Angola trip one of them was riding a 690.

AntonW said:
Talking about long trips the RR of Wouter and Braamk's Angola trip one of them was riding a 690.

Thanks...had a look  :thumleft:

Maybe when my XR dies (which I doubt), a good option.

Superb write-up! Thanks!

Wolfmother said:
I think you should get paid to test bikes for a living..   :eek:

Me too.

(Meaning:
a. I also think you should get paid to test bikes for a living
or
b. I think I should also get paid to test bikes for a living)  :biggrin:  :biggrin:

Beserker said:
@ Kamanya

What would be nice is a long term test, say 15k km of serious offroad touring, with real luggage etc.

I believe a big thumper to be the appropriate tool, provided it can go the distance.

I think you should speak to Ash, and revisit your Kunene river road trip (Speaking under correction, I think it was your first biggie on the 950)

I wouldn't lend a bike to me to do that trip! I know he held his breath just giving it to me for the day.

Very nice Review Andrew  :thumleft:  , and its not biased .
Ive had mine for a year now , and Ive never been able to put to words the how great it handles and feels , until this review.
I am also planning to do the rally raid conversion to my 690 early 2012.

Bliksem,if I had a loose R 105 000,that bike would have been parked in my garage now :drif:

Kamanya said:
Beserker said:
@ Kamanya

I wouldn't lend a bike to me to do that trip! I know he held his breath just giving it to me for the day.

if you do ever manage to twist Ash's arm to doing something like this I can volunteer to test my hemmoroids and your training skills  again! would give you the ultimate riding weapon the hooligan tool until your bum gets too sore and you kick me off the 9fiddy and rest up! thanks again for an awesome day that will be remebered for a long time to come as I wander back to the snow scene that awaits!

Andrew my friend Mark here in PE got a seat conversion out from the States but can't remember the name and price.It comes as foam and cover and you do the conversion (I think) but he said it made a big difference.He did his own 690 conversion and cost 60k.I will push him for details re the seat if you like.
But I must say a 690 will never be a distance cruiser IMO.

plonker said:
Andrew my friend Mark here in PE got a seat conversion out from the States but can't remember the name and price.It comes as foam and cover and you do the conversion (I think) but he said it made a big difference.He did his own 690 conversion and cost 60k.I will push him for details re the seat if you like.
But I must say a 690 will never be a distance cruiser IMO.

https://www.corbin.com/

Speak to GJ on the forum, I think he has done 800KMS aday on his 690, not a problem. This does not mean that the 800KMS would not have been easier on a big twin, just that it was not a problem. Maar GJ is maar n hardegat. :imaposer:

Unfortunately, my dealings with KTM Cape Town has not been very good so far ... any of you guys experienced the same treatment, especially after paying R105,000 up front (which I never should have done  :BangHead: )

https://uk2za.wordpress.com/2012/01/24/ktm-690-oryx-or-not/
https://uk2za.wordpress.com/2012/01/25/ktm-690-oryx-saga-continues/

m0ng00se said:
Unfortunately, my dealings with KTM Cape Town has not been very good so far ... any of you guys experienced the same treatment, especially after paying R105,000 up front (which I never should have done  :BangHead: )

https://uk2za.wordpress.com/2012/01/24/ktm-690-oryx-or-not/
https://uk2za.wordpress.com/2012/01/25/ktm-690-oryx-saga-continues/

Hi Guys ...

This morning I had a long conversation with Ashley at KTM Cape Town ... all looks set to go now !!

https://uk2za.wordpress.com/2012/01/26/will-have-my-ktm-690-oryx-after-all/

hi Kamanya
great report and really agree on the comparison between 950 and 690!
We are a group of about 8 riders which have "progressed" from 950 and 990 Adventures to 950 Super enduros  :ricky: wow!! and now we have moved to 690's!
the 690's with the long range tanks and the lightness are just right for running the whole day on technical or fast or sand - magic!
The 690 i have ridden 520km offroad from Centurion to Jozini; rode the Pongola 500km One Day Challenge, with Dali Terblanche and all the Dakar guys last  October, and rode 520 km offroad back!
now for long range offroad with all the flex - it's definitely the 950 SE - but, we have all tried this 690 on long routes and with a technical "special stage" thrown in every now and then - its easier to ride all day than the 690's - and it can go all day!
The seat is no problem because we seldom sit in a day!
I have chased around DeWildt north of Pretoria for 5 hours with the guys on the 450 and 350's and managed awesomely.
its'a great package - sofar mine is standard but for the Safari long range tank.
ciao!

Bump...

So Andrew, 2 years on what are your thoughts? Do you miss having a 690 Oryx? Does anyone know how have they been selling?

Latest posts