Parking lights switch as well as push starting XT660Z -my initial thoughts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raphaeltube

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha XT 660 Z
Hi

I just recently got an XT660Z, which I'm loving so far, but...

Issue #1: a couple times I noticed as I was walking away from the bike, that I'd accidently switched the parking lights on.
I've had a number of bikes in the past, and I'm in the habit of turning the key off all the way as far as it will go before pulling it out, but now on this XT660Z, that switches the parking lights on.
So now I have to take extra care when switching the bike off, and check that the key is in the propper off position (not at the end) before pulling it out.
It seems like a bit of a kak design to me.
Have any of you have similar thoughts or experiences?
I'm considering disabling the parking lights altogether. I've never used them, and don't see the point.
I'm scared of leaving the parking lights on accidently & runninign the battery flat. especially since...

Issue #2: it seems really difficult/impossible to push start these bikes. -am I doing something wrong?
Luckily, I haven't actaully needed to push start my bike, but while trying some technical off road stuff the day after getting the bike, I noticed that when I stall there is way more engine braking than I'm used to with other bikes. -the rear wheel just about locks up.
I guess this is due to the high compression (and the big single cylinder, but didn't notice it with my XR650L).
Anyway, having noticed that, it occured to me that it might be hard to push start, so thought I'd give it a try.
Tried on the dirt: nothing, just slid. Not enough traction to turn the wheel. I even tried in 3rd & 4th, but still just slid.
Then I went & tried on some tar, and basically found the same thing. No matter which gear I was in (I even tried 5th), whenever I dropped the clutch, the wheel locked up I skidded instead of turning the engine.
-is this a thing? Can you guys push start your bikes? -It worries me a bit & makes me think I might need to start carying some sort of jumber cables.

I'd appreciate your thoughts & experiences.
-R