Parklands madness. Chasing the sand monster

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pleco

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS HP2
Hello There all.

We had a very nice run in the sand again this Sunday. With the first girl joining us  :thumleft: The way Renette started, had me a little worried. But after having a long calming chat with Legadema, and some more pointers, she was riding with us in no time.

Well done also 2 to 2Phat and the father and son team from the Strand. They had the sand under control within the 1st hour.

The improvement of Desert Snoek and buddy was amazing. They both hit second gear as they entered the sand, and just took off. This all for their second day in the sand!

The cones I put out added a completely new dimension to the riding. This emphasized balance and control at slower speeds, and the heavier bikes were at a disadvantage here. The guys practised, and almost got it waxed.

Here are a few pics, and I am busy uploading Shredder's video in the mean time. Thanks for Rene in the Landy for capturing the day for us on pics and clips.

Cheers, and if all goes well, I'll see you all next week again.

Attachments

• DSC03327.JPG
    DSC03327.JPG
    60.4 KB
  • DSC03333.JPG
    DSC03333.JPG
    72.9 KB
  • DSC03334.JPG
    DSC03334.JPG
    64.9 KB
  • DSC03335.JPG
    DSC03335.JPG
    78.3 KB
  • DSC03339.JPG
    DSC03339.JPG
    63 KB
Some more pics

Attachments

• DSC03341.JPG
    DSC03341.JPG
    60.4 KB
  • DSC03344.JPG
    DSC03344.JPG
    76.3 KB
  • IMG00439-20110306-0815.jpg
    IMG00439-20110306-0815.jpg
    56 KB
  • IMG00442-20110306-0837.jpg
    IMG00442-20110306-0837.jpg
    73.7 KB
  • IMG00444-20110306-0838.jpg
    IMG00444-20110306-0838.jpg
    68.8 KB
Hehe thanks for organising Pleco  :thumleft: What a great day it was . I have ridden sand before , but have something of a phobia of it. Today went a long way to reducing my fear of sand. Thanks to everyone for all the support, and the help with pushing my bike and picking up my bike. :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: :3some:

And as for those whoops !!! :eek: :eek: :eek: i still can't believe that I rode them . And even though I just couldn't commit to all and consequently threw the bike over , I did manage to do a lot more than I had thought I would  :thumleft:

Thanks esp to Legadema and Rough Rider who rode behind me on the whoops and helped sweep me up so many times .  :imaposer: :imaposer:

Here is Shredder's video.

Sorry about the size, but well worth watching.  :thumleft:

[flash=480,385]https://www.youtube.com/v/4Ixp-47Z3hI[/flash]

:thumleft: Looks like you guys once again had a truly Gr8 time in the "Sand Box" ;D One of the things I've got marked down on my "To Do List" as soon as I have the time,... is to get out there & join in on all these  TTSM - "Taming The Sand Monster" sessions. Thanks for all the Gr8 photos & video.

Tks Pleco for the sustained effort in raising our sand riding levels .... it is appreciated and definitely making a difference to all. It was a fantastic morning of riding, only made better by sharing it with some great dawgs !

We're taking some great leaps, although plenty of work to put in with control still  :ricky: Them whoops sure are tricky  :mwink:

I REALLY recommend that anyone that has been considering this, or feeling intimidated to come ride as a sand newbie, come join us soonest. Take it from a rank sand newbie ... there is no pressure, only good support and camaraderie  :thumleft: I promise you'll leave with a big smile and feeling much more confident. And if you're like me ... realising that fitness needs work  :imaposer:

Catch you all next Sunday  :thumleft:

I think that the idea with the "cones" is a pretty cool idea :thumleft: Gives a different dimension to riding in sand.

Pleco..can I give you a tip for riding sand that will help you massively! Stop reffering to sand as a "monster" moment you say that people get scared, and if you get scared you tense up and can't move, just relax and ride it :thumleft:

It's not a monster, its just another piece of terrain  ;)
you-see-im-not-a-monster-im-just-ahead-of-the-curve-500x312.jpg

:thumleft: That's some fine piece of advice which makes a hell of a lot of sence. Thanks for that Etienne2T :thumleft: ;D

Etienne2T said:
Pleco..can I give you a tip for riding sand that will help you massively! Stop reffering to sand as a "monster" moment you say that people get scared, and if you get scared you tense up and can't move, just relax and ride it :thumleft:

It's not a monster, its just another piece of terrain  ;)
you-see-im-not-a-monster-im-just-ahead-of-the-curve-500x312.jpg

I agree, we all have monsters in the closet. And mentioning it might put some people off. But that look on the face of the newbie the moment he realizes this is no monster.  :thumleft:

I always refer to Kamanya and Legadema's riding style when I chat to the newbies. They ride it as if it is not there. Just some more terrain to get over.

Remember guys this is not a training course. I would highly recommend doing the official courses. Those guys are pro's at coaching riding skills. My course experience showed the moment I put the cones out.

But I have not found a better pl;ace to get past the fear of sand. Rynet was as good an example as I could ever find. She was absolutely terrified after the first run. And all smiles at the end of the day.

Pleco, thanks for your "advise"......( "Training"). I was really surprised with myself within a half an hour of sand riding. I know that I need a lot of practice but I think I got the hang of it and got over the fear. ( Its great if someone who knows how... can teach you, thanks again.)

argh man!!!!!!!!!!!  :'(

this looked like so much fun!!!

lucky luke said:
Pleco, thanks for your "advise"......( "Training"). I was really surprised with myself within a half an hour of sand riding. I know that I need a lot of practice but I think I got the hang of it and got over the fear. ( Its great if someone who knows how... can teach you, thanks again.)

Julle ouens het ver gery om saam te speel. Ek het bietjie begin voel asof ons jullke afgeskeep het. Julle vordering was ongelooflik. Van daai eerste val af tot waar julle ons daar diep in die sand kom join het, en weer van daar af al die pad uit gery het.

Lekker om te sien. Bly ek kon help. Ek gee pointers, en julle leer julle self. Dit hang net af hoe vinnig jy jou brein kan train om nie te panic as die bike twitch nie.  :ricky:

Firecoast said:
argh man!!!!!!!!!!!  :'(

this looked like so much fun!!!

I would really like to see some more girls join us here. Rynet could not stop saying how much she enjoyed the riding. From full panic to full fun in about 1 hour. And that on a 1200 BMW.

No more excuses for guys to say their bikes are too heavy for the sand. :biggrin:

Respect!!!

We are having a Weekend Sand Course in May, for those that love riding sand, or are total beginners and would want to learn how to master it on you Adv bikes!
Anyone is welcome to join us..we are gentle :)

Etienne2T said:
We are having a Weekend Sand Course in May, for those that love riding sand, or are total beginners and would want to learn how to master it on you Adv bikes!

I have done both the beginner's off road, and beginner's sand riding courses (although at different places), and cannot recommend these enough.

You cannot put a value to the amount of experience you get from these courses.

We do a lot on Sundays at Parklands, but the courses are much more structured, and the instructors are very good at training people.  :ricky:

Pleco said:
Etienne2T said:

I have done both the beginner's off road, and beginner's sand riding courses (although at different places), and cannot recommend these enough.

You cannot put a value to the amount of experience you get from these courses.

We do a lot on Sundays at Parklands, but the courses are much more structured, and the instructors are very good at training people.  :ricky:

Hehe thanks for the kind words sir! I always tell people to rather spend money on training, than buying loud pipes etc. it much better money spent!

Hi Pleco, Legadema, Rynet, Lucky Luke and everyone else that was there on Sunday!
A BIG Thank you!!!!!!
It was Fun :ricky:
I need to get a LOT fitter! :eek: :eek:

But it was amazing how one's confidence goes up 100% when you just ignore what is underneath the wheels, look up and loosen up!

Coming Sunday I am going to get out of the kiddies sandpit and play with the big boys (and Rynet - who sommer started in the big pit!!!!!!)
RESPECT Girl!

:)

Hello 2Phat.

Jy het baie goed gedoen. Jy sal sien dat die 2de keer jare beter gaan. Jy ontspan ook meer, en dan werk jy nie so hard nie. Dan sweet n man ook nie so baie nie  :biggrin:

Daai een swing uit die pad uit wat ek gesien het, het jy goed gehandle. As jy panic in so situasie, dan gaan jy maar die bike moet optel.

Respect vir julle ouens op die groot bikes. Die learning curve is maar baie styl!