PhatGirl Loving

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How you rekon this is going to turn out?

• Epic failure of 990 biblical proportions!

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Nice one! will be 100's

Votes: 22 68.8%
  • Meh

Votes: 5 15.6%

• Total voters

N[]vA

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DR-Z 400
Ola,

So I am waiting for a starter torque limiter kit to come from either the USA or Germany and decided I needed to spend some quality time with the PhatGirl, wrench time it is  :mwink:

So from the get go I decided I was going to strip the bike down and check

• every single bolt and nut for rust, tightness, damage etc
  • Full once over of all the electrics & power points
  • Full once over of the frame for damage etc
  • strip the Akro's and the header pipes of all the mud etc
  • Polish the bleeding daylight out of everything
  • Do a full service
  • Add a few farkles

Oh I forgot to mention I am not the most knowledgeable person in terms of mechanics but being a geek I can read and figure out most things. Oh and I have a polishing fetish  ::)

Figure I will add a poll to see what the feeling is in terms of forecasting success, not that I give a shite either way but its fun  :thumleft:

I will be adding pics etc etc etc as I go along over the next few weeks.

It all starts somewhere

So a wise bloke once told me to start with what you can see... I think I missed his point but any how.
IMG_2669.JPG

I decided to pull the screen off, give it a good clean and remove the scratches.

First thing was to give the screen a wash, so into the tub  :biggrin:
IMG_2668.JPG

So first a rinse and then clean with clean green
IMG_2671.JPG

And then rinse clean
IMG_2672.JPG

Time for the scratch remover, autosol one (awesome stuff) I started by applying a overkill amount (read use less than this tit is) Rub it nicely in, I use a power drill with a polishing attachment thingy and a separate one for buffing.
IMG_2673.JPG

IMG_2674.JPG

IMG_2675.JPG

After the first polish I wipe the screen down before buffing it
IMG_2676.JPG

IMG_2677.JPG

Now for the buffing
IMG_2678.JPG

IMG_2679.JPG

IMG_2680.JPG

And now the same thing on the other side
IMG_2681.JPG

IMG_2683.JPG

After the entire polish and buff almost all the scratches are gone and flip it is shiny  :mwink:
IMG_2687.JPG

IMG_2688.JPG

IMG_2689.JPG

I decided to add a AeroTrim deflector
IMG_2690.JPG

IMG_2691.JPG

IMG_2692.JPG

IMG_2693.JPG

Saturday fun:

So I decided that the first thing I would do is give the PhatGirl a good wash before I started stripping her, Win decided to join me with his newly acquired 640 and give it a good once over and get rid of a few rust spots etc.

Bikes waiting for a wetting
IMGP2186.JPG

Fuel tank off
IMGP2189.JPG

Seats too & Win's exhaust
IMGP2190.JPG

Started with a clean green spray down and a hand wash then rinse with a not so high pressure hose
IMGP2191.JPG

PhatGirl looking skinny  ::)
IMGP2192.JPG

Win doing something  :patch:
IMGP2193.JPG

I have decided that the 640 looks like a frog or wall-e with the fairing off  :imaposer:
IMGP2194.JPG

IMGP2195.JPG

Oh theres my paw sticker in that one  :thumleft:
IMGP2196.JPG

But plugs n all
IMGP2199.JPG

At this point we decided that we would both work on the 640 in order to get her done before night, phatgirl will be standing for a week or two.

640 public nudity
IMGP2202.JPG

I decided to do Win a favor and clean & polish his Bosson for him as time and weather had left its mark
IMGP2205.JPG

IMGP2206.JPG

The air filter on the 640 needed some serious attention too
IMGP2207.JPG

IMGP2209.JPG

Win started on the rust on his spokes, Q12 (phosphoric acid based) seriously mean shit but works a charm
IMGP2210.JPG

IMGP2211.JPG

IMGP2212.JPG

At this point we had already given the header pipes on the 640 a good once over, though not a proper polish
IMGP2213.JPG

We had spectators
IMGP2215.JPG

This stuff is awesome for treating light to medium rust and removing gunk
IMGP2217.JPG

My way of polishing :D (Im a noob with power tools ut I think its a 1010watt power drill?)
IMGP2219.JPG

My lovely tool case (R 1200 from builders warehouse)
IMGP2221.JPG

Spectator taking a closer look
IMGP2222.JPG

looking a lil skeptical  ::)
IMGP2223.JPG

640 Skirt
IMGP2224.JPG

Yours truly (Should mention that Jo was taking most of the pics)
IMGP2226.JPG

The collection starts
IMGP2230.JPG

640 nude in the wind
IMGP2231.JPG

IMGP2233.JPG

PhatGirl chilling
IMGP2238.JPG

Gonna need a very good clean me thinks
IMGP2239.JPG

I cant begin to tell you the massive sigh of relief after getting the 640 started.... almost kaked myself cause we got the fuel tank back on and the dash + electrics hooked up, turned the key and the bike lights up. Win hits the happy button and nothing happens  :eek: took a second or two before I realised he has the kill switch on lol, one flick and happy button and the 640 roared happily to life  :thumleft:

Last Night

I pulled off the Akro's and started on the header pipes as well as pulled the sub frame out
IMGP2240.JPG

IMGP2241.JPG

After getting the header pipes out I wrapped the ABS unit up in a plastic KTM bag just in case and tied it up to stop it hanging, and sealed off the hole from the header pipes with some cloths
IMGP2242.JPG

Header pipes out
IMGP2243.JPG

IMGP2245.JPG

getting dark and cold I decided to take the Akro's and header pipes upstairs and give em a quick hand wash.
IMG_2694.JPG

IMG_2695.JPG

No pictures of the first wash itself but on the akro's I simply used clean green and elbow grease.
IMG_2696.JPG

The header pipes I tried a few things of which the one that works the best is Mr Min over cleaner! this shit really eats through the baked mud
IMG_2697.JPG

IMG_2698.JPG

So I decided to call it a night and will carry on today  :thumleft: