Pics of our bikes with different backgrounds - Zimbabwe version

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GSLaaitie

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
Start of June Rafiki contacted me after his usual riding partner could not join him on their planned trip of Zimbabwe during the second half of July. He asked if I was interested in joining. We met for a couple of beers and decided that this seemed like one of those good ideas that people sometimes have. It was not long before 19 July was around the corner…

I plan to post one day’s RR each day with some reading to accompany the pics. Feel free to skip the words and just have a quick look at the photos (that’s what I usually do anyways!)

The trip was a total of 4 264.2 km and took us 12 days. It was just Dawie and I (Hendrik), both on 1200 GSA’s. The plan was to take enough food and snacks for each day, camp each night and eat at a pub / restaurant / shebeen every night. (This worked out quite well.)
Google Earth along with Garmap predicted the following:
Dag0Roete.png

A 3D view of the afternoon of day 4:
Dag0-GEarthdag4.png

Come Wednesday 18 July and I was obviously very excited, much unlike my parents, friends, family, boss who were wondering if I’ll return alive.
Packing took almost the entire night, but at 23:00 the bike was packed and I was ready to go.

Day 1
PTA to Lion & Elephant (80 kms into Zim)
548.4 kms (all tar)
7:30 – 17:00

Finally the day to leave came. As I lay in my bed, waiting for my alarm to start his ritual of convincing me to get active, I silently recited my list of things to pack. I was again convinced that I had forgotten one of the most important things as I always am before leaving. (It turned out I did not.) Six bells came and soon afterwards I was ready to leave our beloved Jacaranda jungle and head North with Dawie. We met at the Shell on Atterbury next to the N1 for a quick coffee and to fill the tanks and were ready to leave at 7
Dag1-1.jpg

I was filled with the excitement of doing some nice gravel and dirt in Zim, which made the two and a half million kms of black N1 just so unbearably boring. 475 kms and a fun pass just past Louis Trichardt later we finally were at Beitbridge. We filled our tanks again for the last time with nice high octane juice and stopped at the border at 12:30
Dag1-3.jpg
This entire game ended up taking us 3 and a half hours as we arrived at the Zim side just in time for them to take their lunch break. We didn’t really have all as many problems further as I was fearful of getting into. The SA side was not entertained by our plan of Dawie taking both our passports for stamps while I look after our luggage on the bikes (something I’ve done at every previous border crossing). The main bossman there wanted to see both of us and gave us a good talking to. I felt like a disobedient school boy during those two weeks after corporal punishment at schools was banned and the teachers were still too scared of doing it anyway. Eventually he let us go, after we promised to never ever do it again. In the end we realised that this was because they are actively trying to get rid of all the “fixers” we see at the borders these days. Zim’s side was easy. A very friendly official kept showing us where to go and what to fill out. 16:00 called us out to the North and we were allowed to enter Zimbabwe without too many issues.

The first 30 kms were very, very littered. Plastic papers, chips wrappers and beer bottles were scattered everywhere. It did not seem as if this country had a shortage of food. But soon we left the trail of plastic behind us and it was a lot cleaner. One of the first things I noticed was that there were no fences next to the road. We were warned that this tar road was very bad and I was prepared for the worst, but it was not really that bad. Some pot holes, but nothing near the roads we have in the coal mine covered Highveld.

We reach our campsite 80 kms from the border at the Lion and Elephant motel, right next to the road and paid $5 each for this. Beers were $1.50 each and at the end of the day’s endless black path we felt that we deserved a couple with our pork chops.
Dag2-1.jpg

Tomorrow, the Zim part starts. I’ll have more photos then, promise!

Lekker, lekker, one place where you don't travel at night or if you do then very slow.
We encountered the last say 100km km to Beitbridge endless number of catlle donkeys, vehicles with no or limit light on that stretch..

Gooi!!

Dammit maar n mens moet jou gat omtrent blink lek!!!  :pot: 

Gooi kole!!!

:happy1:

Daarsy!  Laat jy kom  :thumleft:  :happy1:

Day 2
Lion & Elephant to Lake Mutirikwi
312.3 kms
8:00 – 15:00

Camping next to the main road was not as awesome as one would think (or it is as un-awesome as some would know). At night, it seems, all the big trucks come out to play! All the noise of trucks repetitively passing did not sum to a deep, relaxing rest. Nevertheless, we woke at half past 6 and allowed the stove to heat some water for coffee and oatso easy while we started rolling our sleeping bags and matrasses and packed our tents. This was a routine that we quickly got very skilled at as the trip progressed.
Dag2-4.jpg

We left the campsite at about 8:00 and had an hour or so of tar, heading further North. There we had our first encounter with the long-ish arm of their law, getting caught speeding. Expecting to be forced to bribe them, it was a surprise when they started to fill in their receipt book and charge us $20 for our wrongdoing. I even got to play with the one officer’s radar gun while they filled in the forms. They were very friendly and we had a quick chat about the bikes and our planned trip. Then they showed us where we could start speeding again! Leaving them, we continued up North. At last, at a gravel junction, Dawie’s right indicator lit my face with a glorious amber! We stopped to adjust our tire pressures and headed straight East.
Dag2-6.jpg

This was the first time that we rode together and I was anxious as to how our riding styles would interact. Luckily, after a couple of kms to get into the groove, I could see that we had the same speed tastes and that this would work just fine. Dawie had the only GPS, so he would lead the entire trip and I would get dirty. We headed for Lake Mutirikiwi and the Great Zimbabwe ruins.
Dag2-8.jpg

Dawie is a smoker luckily, so like clockwork, we stopped every 2 hours for photos, snacks and a quick chat about the track we just did.
Dag2-10.jpg

We stopped next to a river for lunch. There we had our first encounter with some locals. Three young men approached us while we were eating. Now having heard all the stories about Zim and how dangerous it is, I was obviously uncomfortable. They however just came to talk a bit about the bikes. They asked a few questions and were very friendly. This was also the only form of “begging” that we saw on the entire Eastern side of Zim, when they asked for a cigarette each.
Dag2-13.jpg

Dag2-19.jpg

Dag2-22.jpg

Dag2-13.jpg

The country was quite flat at first, but after lunch we found more and more hills.
Dag2-30.jpg

Dag2-32.jpg

Dag2-23.jpg

At about 14:30 the horizon presented a huge dam. It is called Lake Mutirikwi and we abandoned the road in search of some decent lookout points.
Dag2-33.jpg

We found a nice big boulder which doubled as a quick playground
Dag2-45.jpg

Dag2-37.jpg

Dag2-36.jpg

A few kms west of the lake lay the Great Zimbabwe ruins. This is where Zimbabwe got its name from when it changed from Rhodesia. It is a huge ancient city and probably the only construction from its time south of the Sahara. The idea of this big city is very impressive and it must have taken quite some time and many whips to get it done!

Dag2-58.jpg

Dag2-57.jpg

Dag2-55.jpg

Dag2-53.jpg

Dag2-59.jpg

Dag2-50.jpg

We also saw these two XT 200’s there…
Dag2-48.jpg

Turns out they belong to two young men, an American and a Canadian, Dave & Ryan. They were on their way to Harare from JHB to prepare for a 6 week trip to Kenya. It was 17:00 by then and we convinced them to come and camp at the same place as us, as Harare was still very far from there and riding in the dark anywhere is never advised on bikes!

We left in search of petrol and found some close to Masvingo at $1.48 / l. After filling up, the sun was doing its best to give us the last light it had, so we headed for our campsite close to Lake Mutirikwi with the darkness at our heels.
Dag2-70.jpg

Dag2-72.jpg

Dag2-73.jpg

Dave & Rian arrived just as we had our tents pitched. Most of their gear was still in Harare as they just went to RSA to go buy the bikes. They each just had a small bag on the back of their bikes, so they were forced to rent a room.
Dag3-47.jpg

The campsite was built in the colonial times and was still maintained as such. It was a beautiful old house with all the original furniture and paintings inside. We were the only guests, but the staff were all dressed up in suits with waist jackets and ties. This took some time to get used to, but we saw it at each of our overnight sites in the Eastern part of Zim, no matter how few guests there were.

At the end of our meal, Dave mentioned that this was their first real night on the trip and that it was Ryan’s birthday tomorrow. This called for some celebration! Out of that small bag of his, he pulled a bottle of authentic French champagne. I’ve haven’t even had French champagne in RSA (or France).

So there we were. Out on an off road trip of an African country on motorbikes with our tents strapped to the back.

Drinking French champagne.

I went through Beit bridge 2 weeks ago. What a shithole.  ???

I have mixed feelings about Zim. Nice people, beautiful country... but corrupt as fuck. We had to pay US$100 to get into Zim. They make ups "rules" as they go along.

Countless roadblocks. "Speed traps" where you have to pay "speeding fines". WTF?

Great Zimbabwe Ruins was great. I can see you didn't go up the hill to the proper royal compound though...  :pot: Lekker lui.

The Eastern Highlands are very pretty. Lion and Elephant and everywhere were like going back to an early 80s time warp.  :biggrin:

But generally the country is fucked - and will remain so for a very long time, courtesy of the Chinese pumping millions into the bank accounts of Bob & Friends (oops, I meant to say "the country", but Bob & Friends accidentally slipped out) for mining rights. I will not encourage people to take their families there. If they go, then fine. Go for it. I just think that the hostile authorities and endemic corruption can cause very unpleasant consequences if you're at the wrong place at the wrong time.

Moz and Malawi were great, though. As always.  :thumleft:

Day 3
Lake Mutirikwi to Chimanimani
360.3 kms
8:30 – 17:15

We had a good night’s kuier behind us and slept a bit later than usual… After packing our tents and loading the bikes, Dave finally peeked out his room, holding his head. We wished each other a good journey and Dawie and I left back east passing lake Mutirikwi towards the Eastern highlands.
Dag3-48.jpg

Dag3-51.jpg

Dag3-52.jpg

For the first 100 kms the gravel road constantly passed villages and like the day before, there was never a moment when we didn’t see anybody. There are a lot of people in this part of the country and I have no idea how everyone is fed! Everyone is crazy friendly though and I think my left hand may have spent more time in the air, greeting back, than on the steering. The area reminded me a lot of the bushveld (well most of the country did, looking just at the flora)
Dag3-3.jpg

Dag3-5.jpg

Dag3-27.jpg

After about a 100 kms, the villages started appearing less often and we saw fewer people. The road got a lot worse at places too. This is where I had my fall for the trip: Stopping to take a pic at a downhill, I let the bike rest on the sidestand with some play still on the clutch. The moment I let the bike go, it moved that few cm’s forward and toppled over! Luckily there was no one near to see.
Dag3-55.jpg

We didn’t see any commercial farming, but passed some loading area with many big trucks and a lot of packed cotton, so I’m assuming that’s what the area’s main export is. We stopped under a tree for a quick lunch at about 12 and left for the tar soon after that.
Dag3-20.jpg

Dag3-10.jpg

Dag3-9.jpg

It was Saturday, but I couldn’t help notice how many people were outside, working. I don’t recall seeing anyone sitting, doing nothing and got the impression that most people here are not waiting around for thing to happen or fall in their laps. The houses there were also very different from what I’m used to. I didn’t see any shacks or sinkplate for that matter. They make their own bricks in clay pits and build little rondavels with thatch roofs. There were very few men too. Most of them are probably back in RSA, working? There were a lot of animals roaming free. Ox and donkey carts were a frequent sighting as was goats, cattle and some pigs. I didn’t see a single sheep however.

Soon our gravel for the day was done and we reached the A9 main road. A quick stop to inflate our tyres again and we were off again. We left a cold Pretoria, but here the average daily temperature was usually above 25.
Dag3-23.jpg

A few kms along the main road, we crossed some big bridge that looked impressive and had Dawie the structural engineer’s attention for 20 mins or so… It is one of the structures that they as a nation is quite proud of, I just can’t remember its name!
Dag3-32.jpg

Getting close to Chimanimani we entered an amazing tar pass with the nicest twists and climbs. Sadly, someone found it smart to cover every single corner in loose gravel and in doing so spoiled all our fun and had Dawie and I teach each other a couple of new words.
Dag3-38.jpg

Entering Chimanimani, we headed for a refill. The only petrol we could find was at a semi-dodgy pump, but it looked legit enough so we paid the $1.50 / l with a smile. Two cars filled with big men stopped, just to come have a look at the bikes and ask about our trip. By now we were used to the three standard questions: How big is the tank? How far can you go on a tank? How fast does it go? Evidently range is important to the people here, so we assumed that fuel is not readily available at every town.
Dag3-40.jpg

Our spot for the night was the Chimanimani hotel. An old colonial building greeted us with empty corridors as we were the only guests. We decided to camp in the garden (for $15 each!) and just have dinner inside. The lady working at the restaurant was clearly glad to see us and have some customers for the day. She took out all the stops and served us with a great meal each. Beers were $1.50 each, which was half of what the campsite of the previous night charged so we could have a couple while discussing the day’s route and the disappointment in the pass.
Dag4-7.jpg

Nice report so far and very interseting facts about Zim. We always only hear the bad things. Maybe you just had a positive attitude about everything and it showed. :thumleft:

Great report and pictures - brings back many memories.

The name of the steel arch bridge is Birchenough Bridge and crosses the Save river and has a span of 329 m. It was designed by a Mr Ralf Freeman, who also designed the Sydney Harbour Bridge.

MINZI said:
Nice report so far and very interseting facts about Zim. We always only hear the bad things. Maybe you just had a positive attitude about everything and it showed. :thumleft:

I realy belive that for any trip. Your attitude makes your experience. If you go to a place expecting it to be a shithole before you even start, then nothing there can possibly convince you otherwise. Luckliy the opposite holds too!