Pics of our bikes with different backgrounds - Zimbabwe version

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What a lekker rr, keep it coming :thumleft:

I have forgotten how beautiful Zim is. 

Day 8
Kariba to Binga
408.6 kms
7:15 – 17:00

This was again a hard day’s riding. We woke early and having had lots of practice in packing, were ready to leave at just past seven. Our route took us halfway down along lake Kariba to the small town, Binga. The morning offered great twisties and spectacular views through a big nature reserve. There we’re way fewer people and villages next to the road, but the villages were now a lot bigger. Many signs next to the road warned of the danger of elephants nearby and after finding them on our route the day before, I was excited to see more. We had some rocky sections, but nothing crazy. An easy day ahead of us…

Dag8-1.jpg

Dag8-2.jpg

Dag8-4.jpg

Dag8-5.jpg

Dag8-11.jpg

Dag8-15.jpg

Dag8-17.jpg

Dag8-19.jpg

Dag8-20.jpg

Dag8-23.jpg

Dag8-24.jpg

We could notice that more tourists pass through here. People were less surprised to see us and all the pre-school kids were standing next to the road, hands cupping out, begging. There were more buildings next to the road, but most of them condemned and abandoned.

As I said earlier, there are schools everywhere and even if there was nothing else in the village, they each had a neat sign, showing the name and shield. This area’s school uniforms were now khaki. I mention this, because it makes me think that there must be a lot of national investment in education.
Dag8-26.jpg

We were stopped and our bikes disinfected at a tsetse fly checkpoint (read: Man on plastic chair with clipboard and can of Doom), crossed a big river and stopped for lunch. Then everything changed. Suddenly the great views were gone and all our focus was on the road. We were faced with about 200kms of hard gravel covered with a 5 - 10cm pebble blanket. It is not hard to keep the bike up and stay on it, but having fun whilst doing so is! My kidneys are still there somewhere, after being shaken from my body and all the concentration power I had saved up during varsity is now gone! This was by far the worst road we had on our entire trip.
Dag8-32.jpg

Dag8-35.jpg

Dag8-41.jpg

The locals here obviously have no idea what “good road” means, because we asked every single one and they all assured us that the road ahead is great. Eventually we met a young man on a bicycle who shared our frustration.
Dag8-44.jpg

Dag8-47.jpg

Dag8-56.jpg

80 kms before Binga, the pebbles receded and we could speed up. Rocks and ditches found their hiding in the shadow of trees as it crept over the road, edging us more and more to its side. A couple of close calls later and we met up with the tar road. We found our campsite just in time to wash off the day’s blood and sweat in the pool, enjoying the sunset / Lake view combo and have Dawie’s KWV who was buming a trip with us all the way from home.
Dag8-63.jpg

Dag8-61.jpg

We left camp at about 8 in search of a restaurant. Not really kitting up, we headed for a building just across the road. It turned out to be a shebeen playing load music with words I didn’t understand. The gps believed that there was another option, just a few kms away. Half an hour later, we were battling a sand tweespoor with plakkies and t-shirts in the dark only to hear the place had already closed! We returned to the shebeen and had some great chincken for $7 and beers for $1 each eventually having a good kuier. Later a big main in a shiny suit approached us, looking very intimidating. He was the “leader” of the town and came over just to thank us for coming to Binga and supporting the locals. Tired, we went to bed early.

Mmm...I know that road to Binga well, spent 10 hours on it in May last year with my girlfriend on pillion and fully loaded. Those deep pebbles and occasional sand stretches made it interesting and physically tiring, but the mental stress of being alone (one bike) in this remote section of Zim with the added responsibility of my partner's safety made the day very special for me. I felt a great sense of achievement lying in bed that night!

This year May we caught the Kariba Ferry from Kariba to Mlibizi and therefore skipped this road.

Day 9
Binga to Vic falls
274.6 kms
7:15 – 14:00

A great day’s riding. We slept late until seven and were ready to go by eight. $1.50 / l for petrol in Binga and we were off south along lake Kariba and later the Zambezi river all the way to Vic falls.

Dag9-5.jpg

We had about 100 kms of tar to cover, before we could get back on the good stuff. However, this time I was not as excited to get started. I was still tired from battling the 200km pebble blanket from the day before.

What a surprise when we reached our turn off and were given the best gravel highway of the trip. Nothing technical there, just some quick fun and good top speeds for a change! There were some cars on this road, something we were not used to at all, all speeding at us, not budging an inch. The area was a lot flatter and the vegetation got less dense.

Dag9-5.jpg

Dag9-9.jpg

Dag9-10.jpg

Dag9-12.jpg

Dag9-23.jpg

Dag9-27.jpg

Dag9-35.jpg

Dag9-39.jpg

Dag9-41.jpg

Dag9-45.jpg

Dag9-48.jpg

Dag9-51.jpg

Dag9-52.jpg

I could notice how dirty all the children were and in contrast, how very neatly the young adults and grown-ups were dressed. Especially the men. Here the school uniforms were blue. We reached Vic falls (That’s the town’s name, by the way.) at 14:00 and set up camp at the popular Vic falls rest camp. It was quite expensive at $18 per day, but judging by all the tourists there, I don’t think that it was a problem for them. This didn’t feel like the Zim we grew to know at all. The town was overwhelmed with tourists and locals on the street selling old Zim dollars as souvenirs, or “proof of inflation” :D And every single one of the offered to get us the best weed in the country! We went for a stroll through the town, but did not visit the falls, because we had the following day as a rest day where we would do all the touristy stuff. Back at camp we finished Dawie’s KWV where some hot girl (I’m sure of this…) tried to roofie me, because I was in bed by eight!

Dag9-54.jpg

Day 10
Vic falls (Rest day)
3.1 kms for fuel and about 10 kms on foot

We woke from the sound of an announcer over a very load PA system, calling one and all to join in some type of fun run that day. Other than that, it was a good day. This was our second day off and where better to have it than at Zim’s main tourist attraction – The Victoria waterfalls.

As result of being roofied by the hot girl the night before we missed dinner, so had the need and budget to treat ourselves to a decent farmhouse breakfast with eggs, bacon and what not. We cleaned up and left for the falls right outside the town. Entrance fees to the park are split into locals, foreigners and SADCs. Having a RSA passport paid off again and we paid almost half of what foreigners are charged. The falls are a very impressive sight and lived up to all my expectations. This is something that I’d urge anyone to go see. It’s not even that far from home! The falls are known for the great amounts of spray and mist that can make the entire place indiscernible, but we were lucky and had some good views. All this mist also makes for a beautiful little rain forest next to it.

Have a look:
Dag10-2.jpg

Dag10-3.jpg

Dag10-20.jpg

Dag10-21.jpg

Dag10-24.jpg

The 198m long bridge linking Zim and Zam was built by Cecil John Rhodes as part of his Cape to Cairo plans in 1904 and is quite the engineering feat. Looks cool too! There are many adventure type things to do, like bungee, Zip line, and bridge swinging. A bungee jump costs about R1 000, so we gave it a pass and did the zip line instead.

Dag10-26.jpg

Dag10-43.jpg

Dag10-36.jpg

We spent most of our day here. Had lunch at a bar next to the bridge on the Zambian side, overlooking the bridge and waterfalls.

Dag10-40.jpg

Later, we went back to our camp to lay around a bit. It was Saturday and we headed out to experience the tourist town’s nightlife and were pleasantly surprised! We went to bed at about 1:00 with a strange sadness to join our fading excitement of this beautiful country. This was our last night in Zim.

Day 11
Vic falls to Francistown
491.2 kms
8:00 – 16:00

I woke feeling downhearted. Today was the start of the road back home. We packed like a well-oiled machine and were on the road by eight. Leaving Vic Falls, we headed south for about 80kms and found our gravel route to Pandamatenga out of Zim through the Hwange national park. It was another 80 kms to the border post with Botswana and we only saw one other vehicle all the way there. This road was awesome! Very good surface and lots of animals. It was a great game drive (ride) and we saw many elephants, Kudu, giraffes, warthogs and zebras. Apparently some guys a couple of weeks before us came across some lions, but we were not as lucky.

Dag11-3.jpg

Dag11-5.jpg

Dag11-6.jpg

Dag11-9.jpg

Dag11-17.jpg

The border post was very quiet and we were the first people to cross in a couple of days. This made the customs guy very excited and to kill some time, he inspected everything on the bikes. Exiting Zim there took about 15 minutes.

Entering Botswana is crazy easy! You only fill in one form with 5 easy questions (I knew all the answers) and you do not have to pay anything. The officials there were very friendly showing off their smiles the entire time we were there. Entering Botswana took less than 5 mins.

Entering Botswana, you have to ride through some disinfecting water and take out all your shoes to be disinfected too. They are very watchful of animal diseases and have a couple of these stops along their highways with game fences splitting the country into controlled areas.

We took the A33 highway down to Francistown and what a boring road this was! Straight as an arrow and flat as a pancake! A black line leading into the horizon as far forward and back as you can see.
Dag11-29.jpg

We stopped next to the highway for lunch and I found a small sandy patch to park my bike. Once we were done, Dawie left first, riding in front (as was the custom) and I followed. Except that I couldn’t! I somehow managed to tour an entire country and then get stuck next to a highway on my way back home! The sand sucked the rear wheel in with so much force, that I had to lay the bike on its side, rotate it on the pot and try again! This was by far my most embarrassing moment of the trip!
Dag11-27.jpg

Dag11-30.jpg

An uneventful afternoon later saw us arrive at our campsite near Francistown. We set up camp, started a lekker camp fire and had some beers. Dawie went to bed early and I sat there next to the fire, staring at the stars, dreading the thought of returning home the next day while finishing our beer.

Day 12
Francistown to Pretoria
722 kms
7:00 – 19:00

The last day was just a run for home. We stopped for fuel and some oil in Francistown and for a smoke break or three.
A lot of boring tar is always very tiring for me!
Dag12-1.jpg

We headed for the border post close to Ellisras which meant that we had about a 100 kms of gravel (or sand, rather) for the day. Passing through the border and entering South Africa again took less than 15 mins in total. In the little building on Botswana’s side we were greeted with Jacaranda fm and “Somebody that I used to know” was obviously still on repeat in their playlist. Other than that, the border crossing was very pleasant.
Dag12-4.jpg

Dag12-5.jpg

From Ellisras, it was Thabazimbi, Brits, Pretoria. We greeted each other in Brits and headed for our respective homes. Entering Pretoria on the multi-lane N1, I was reminded that tomorrow it will be back to the rat race. But having said that, it was good to feel home again.

The amount of talent this man has truly amazes me. Not only can Hendrik ride a GSA like Coma but also writes an excellent rr.

LEKKER GSLAAITIE!!!  :thumleft:

Rafiki, is baie jaloers op julle twee se trip!!!  :biggrin: So dit so graag wou mee maak... Dit was n avontuur wat julle onder die harde baarde klasifiseer!!  :peepwall:

Danmie vir die RR "Hendrieka"  :ricky:

Just yesterday I convinced a mate to do a 10 - 15 day zim trip, him in a 4x4 and me on a bike.. lekker, he can carry all my stuff.

Then I see this report.. so chuffed.. going next year.. can't wait now.

Excellent report Hendrik, thanks very much. My favorite place is definitely Chimanimani, by far.

About the hot girl roofies: That's your story and you're sticking to it, right? ;D