Pigs aint for poor pensioners.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaybiker

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki Versys
Nor any other bikes I suppose. Anyway, oil is leaking from the final drive boot and I've established that it's the pinion seal and not the gearbox. So, I thinks, not so bad just a little seal, not much of a job and I'll maybe do the pivot bearings while I'm at it.
But hold on, when I strip it the seal has a retaining ring, requiring a special tool, and the pinion nut must be removed with a 36mm deep socket and is torqued to 220nm. Okay, I could make the tool and buy the socket, but it would still need a bigger vice than I have to hold it while I apply the necessary torque, so against my normal instinct I've farmed out that part of the job.
So now to the two side bearings. I recall reading a thread where someone got theirs from a bearing shop for about R400. Bit much, I thought but oh well.
No such luck, despite having a number, FAG 10 - 6465A, bearing suppliers haven't heard of it so it's off to the dreaded stealers.
"That's... wait for it.....1400 rand and THREE WEEKS delivery sir" :angryfire:

Dawgs, there's gotta be another way. Help me make a plan.  :eek7: