Pilgrims and surrounds.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

Steady

During my high school years my Mother decided that she needed a break and I was sent off to boarding school in the Eastern Cape which, unlike the Transvaal schools, enjoyed four terms instead of three. This meant that for a few weeks of every year I got to spend some holidays at home while my sisters went to school. My Dad decided that this was a great opportunity to do what guys do best, and so we used to head off to the Eastern Transvaal for a week or so once a year to ride bikes.

We used to take a road bike and a couple of off road bikes on the trailer and a tent in the boot.

scan0004-1.jpg

The Bikes. My ride, a second hand Suzuki TS 400 Apache 1976.

1976_TS400_USsales1_450-1.jpg

What a bike. Pop's was stuck with a bike that plenty of people had learnt to ride on and it was wearing badly. Despite the Honda badge on the tank, a family practical joke, it was a Yamaha DT 175, about 1975 vintage.

hackett20dt-1b-1.jpg

Well that's what it used to look like.
The photoâ??s here are all from the 1978 trip and we always camped at a camp site on the Graskop side of Pilgrim's Rest called â??Poniesâ?. The owner of Ponies never cared much for tenting and as a result the camper's side of the camp site was neglected but that made it even more enjoyable. We used to save on washing up time and after cooking breakfast on the skottle we just stood around it and ate straight off the pan.

scan0011.jpg

Plenty of forrestry roads to ride on all day for a week without repeating a route in that part of the world.

scan0017.jpg

scan0016-1.jpg

scan0020.jpg

scan0021.jpg

scan0012.jpg

scan0013.jpg

scan0014.jpg

And people ask "Why do you ride a motorbike?" How can you even begin to explain.

scan0022.jpg

I remember that we used to ride from Pilgrim's Rest to Mount Sheba Hotel for lunch and about 2 km's of that was on tar. I understand that the road to Mount Sheba is tar all the way?

scan0023.jpg

We were sprung once by a forrestry ranger, told to leave and stay out. "No problem, oh, would you mind taking our photo before we leave please. Thank you very much."

scan0019.jpg

At least Pop's managed a smile, I look like I had been sucking lemons. ;D

On the non dirt days we took a road bike up to God's Window and various other scenic spots in the area. We never rode with tool kits, maps, water, juice or food. Oh to be 17 years old and not a care in the world. When I found these photos at my Mom's house she did remind me that I very seldom troubled the soap box during those trips. :eek:

Thanks to my Mom for sending me to boarding school, and thanks to my Dad for the trip's.

Anyone keen to head up that way with some trail bikes? Camping only, no plates!

Wow - that is very cool.

Thanks for taking the effort to scan the photos and post the story.

:thumbsup:

Awesome Steady  O0

Some really cool pics and memories there.

Steady said:
scan0019.jpg

At least Pop's managed a smile, I look like I had been sucking lemons. ;D

lovely boots  >:D >:D i too would be sour!

Cool story and pics

It is reassuring to know that there is a possibility of my childhood memories coming flooding back one day...hee hee

Great memories for you there Steady!!!

COOL!

Those bikes look so classic now, don't they?  :)

PS I see the TS400 is labelled as "Dirt/Street" - maybe that's what DS really stands for...?

You have a Dad in a million super memories !!!! I started on a bike like you dads and flattened the bush in our area in no time ha ha ;D

Latest posts