Pilgrims Rest weekend (08-10 Aug)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJred

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Here we go, my first attempt at a ride report.

We met around 0800 on Friday 8 Aug at Roxyâ??s in Bronkhorstspruit for a breakfast and all the guys to meet each other.
6 of us set of from Roxyâ??s and onto the R25 just outside Bronkhorstspruit. After about 27 km we turned right onto the first dirt road. This piece of dirt lasted for about 24km until we reached the R544.
Turning left on the R544 we travelled on tar for about 5km and then turning right onto the dirt again at the Verena/Wit river crossing. This dirt road leads all the way to Loskop dam nature reserve, and you end up driving next to the fence all the way to the N11. The distance on dirt is about 45km.
After about 2.5 km SE on the N11 we came to the Stofberg crossing and some of us refuelled there. From there it was about another 7km on tar, and then the road turned into a dirt road and continued on dirt for 20km until we met up with the R33.
(This is getting a bit long winded now so letâ??s speed it up a bit)

From R33 we turned left onto the R555. We turned left on R555 onto a dirt road that leads to Tonteldoos, a place I have never heard of.  We stopped at the Barn for some lunch and time out the saddle. What a little gem there in the middle of nowhere.
After lunch it was through the Verloren Vlei nature reserve and onto the R577 to Lydenberg. From there on the R36 and left onto the R533 to Pilgrims Rest. Some serious tar twisties along this road and I had to really hang on through some of those tight turns.
Upon arrival at Pilgrims we stopped at the first pub as you enter (cant recall the name now) where we had a few cold ones before we went up to the old miners houses which was our accommodation for the weekend.
On Saturday we headed for Sabie via some of the plantation dirt roads. Stunning scenery out in that part of the woods. Breakfast and then onto more dirt via the Horse shoe falls and we ended up back in Sabie.
Back to Pilgrims and onto the dirt again all along the Blyde River. About 17km down this road we turned on the Kaspersnek road.  Some excellent dirt road riding along this route. Nothing really challenging but very scenic.
From there we went through Orighstad and on the way back to Pilgrims we stopped at mount Sheba to rinse the dust from our throats.
From Mount Sheba there was a terrific little dirt road that met up at the R533 at robbers pass. The GPS said that there is a â??Jock of the Bushveldâ? stone along this road, but none of us saw any such stone.  There were a few bonte bokke that crossed the road very close to the rider in front of me, would have been great if this could be captured with a helmet cam.
Back to Pilgrims for a braai and a serious k@k praat session.
Sunday morning we packed the scooters and we had a relaxing ride to Lydenberg for some breakfast.
From Lydenberg is was Roosenekal and then Stoffberg.
From Stoffberg to Loskop Dam where stopped to rinse the dust from our throats again.
We got onto the dirt again, and at a little bridge that crosses the Wilger River we took another little breather. When we arrived at the bridge there was a family doing some fishing. About 10 â?? 15 min later they packed up and left, I wonder if it had something to do with a bunch of dusty bike riders??
From there it was back to Roxyâ??s where we all had a last refreshment together and from there the riders went their separate ways.
All in all a brilliant weekend with some very scenic routes.

I have not yet figured out how to post pics but here is the link to the photobucket album
https://s532.photobucket.com/albums/ee323/JJred/Pilgrims0808/