Pimp your panniers (The long way round)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plothond

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1090 Adventure R
Quite a few months ago, I got the opportunity to purchase H & B panniers racks at a good price.
I decided to put them on as they would also help to protect the bike in the event of it falling over.

It now became time to purchase panniers and FRIGGEN HECK these things are pricy. After shopping around I came across the SW Motech stuff. You will have seen that Adventurer has become an agent here in Gauteng.

I got into contact with Harold at Bikegear ( www.bikegear.co.za ) and two days after paying, the panniers arrived from PE via courier (for those out of town - about 1200km from us)

Yes, my oversized bread tins had arrived :D :D :D

So, lets take a look at them:

The panniers front. The locks come separately and need to be fitted separately

Panniers024a.jpg

Panniers012a.jpg

Panniers back. Not happy with the type / quality / quantity of rivets used. This needs to be looked at

Panniers025a.jpg

Panniers016a.jpg

Panniers underneath. Note the 9mm aluminium beading underneath. I like this as it makes it stronger on the edges and does not pick up so much grime and dirt when standing on the ground

Panniers028a.jpg

Panniers on top. I'm not too impressed with the rivets. If this panniers has any reasonable weight in it - I suspect that these rivets will eventually work loose

Panniers015a.jpg

So where to from here ? :wink:

First I tackled the handles and strengthened them. Drilled 3 extra holes and put in rivets with washers on the other side - Now better :)

Panniers038a.jpg

Then I looked and the hinge and sorted that out as well

Panniers033a.jpg

Panniers039a.jpg

Right thats done !! :D

Now the inside got some attention. Went and got some high density closed cell foam

Panniers029a.jpg

Used the thicker 10mm one for the base

Panniers030a.jpg

This foam does not deform for too long and springs back to it's original shape, so to mark out as above caused some head scratch. Aaah, but wait, add a willing helper to put some weight on the box, and voila you have just enough time to add some pen marks

Panniers032a.jpg

The completed product inside. I used a 5mm thick one for the sides and glued it too the sides with contact adhesive. There is a lekker product available with is a contact adhesive in an aerosol form. It's a bit pricy but worked well

Panniers036a.jpg

Next the outside got sorted. Now that badge is all important, so it went on first. Then as visibility is also a good idea - reflective tape got added. My donner this stuff is mega moola. A roll (enough for 3 panniers) costs over 20 tigers

Panniers035a.jpg

The panniers in their new found glory

Panniers043a.jpg

Now for the mounting of the panniers and this is where I came unstuck (for a while)
I sent harold a pic of my bike and the existing frames and this is what he sent me

Panniers021a.jpg

I suspect that I should have got a mounting frame as well (will edit this post and add a pic later)

Although I was a bit miffed, I decided not to dwell on it and did my own mod. The pic you see is the frame on the bike before I finished it off

Panniers040a.jpg

The completed product

CIMG1934a.jpg

CIMG1938a.jpg

The stabilising bracket at the back also worried me a bit as I suspect that if it takes a knock, it may just bend further

As it normally is

Panniers010a.jpg

And after the mod

CIMG1936a.jpg

Ok, so thats it :D :D :D

And now fitted to the 950

Panniers005a.jpg

Panniers004a.jpg

Panniers003a.jpg

Now for the road test - coming soon !!!