Pimping my GSA for Africa

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ysterman

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS Adventure
A friend is planning a 4 week ride in December (see route map below) from Jburg thru Namibia to Botswana, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Xmas at Vilankulos and back to Jburg, ± 8000kms in total.

Routea.jpg

So I need to prep the GSA for the trip and thought Iâ??ll share the pimping venture with the forum, hoping to get some good advice & opinions.  And maybe along the way tempt some of you guys to blow the budgets as well, either with pimping your ride or with a tour such as this.  Or simple just because you can.

Feel free to add to the lists or crit on anything.  The idea is not to add unnecessary bling, donâ??t have the budget for all sorts of crap â?? just essential stuff that will bring me and the GSA back in one piece.

Whatâ??s on the primping menu?  Already chatted to a couple of guys, and for now these are the suggested have toâ??s:

1.  Proper bash plate
2.  Cat removal
3.  Air filter
4.  Tyres
5.  Spotlight re-positioning
6.  Additional power sockets

1.  Proper bash plate
First up was the bash plate.  Got the Wunderlich bash plate from Cytech (currently going on a cash special of R1600 + vat).  It provides good protection all round (pipes and engine) as can be seen, 5mm thick and lightweight.  Tried to leave fitting it for the weekend, but hell no â?? it kept on screaming my name and at last I gave in, fitting it late last night.  Very easy to fit â?? nice & strong rubber mountings + the additional bottom bracket that goes thru the bottom of the engine (the OEM plate does not use this).  Only thing I donâ??t like is that it still uses the iffy â??left frontâ? OEM rubber mounting.  Will take spares of all these mountings in any case me thinks.

WunderlichBashPlate.jpg

More next month with a new budget.