Planning a trip from Pretoria to Arusha (Tanzania)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shanks

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DR650
Hi guys

A mate and I are planning the above trip starting end of September.
This is our planned route up to Malawi thus far...
Cross into Bots at Pontdrift Border then onto Bobonong-Sefophe-Selebi Phikwe-Serule-Francistown-Nata and exiting at Pandamatenga Border into Zim
From there the route has not as yet been identified, but want to exit into Moz at Nyamapande Border, then onto Changara-Tete-Massano-and exit into Malawi at Dedza Border
Thus far I've read a lot of the ride reports etc on the forum and all the border choices seems to be rideable.
My Q's
1) I understand at pontdrift the river plays a role, but I think end of September the river will be able to cross...am i mistaken?
2)The border between Bots and Zim (Pandamatenga). Ive read that its a nice jeep and single track section in the Zim side for 60 odd k's, although I've also read that some guys have had some problems there passing through on bikes (due to lions and buffalo in the area). Could anyone please give me an indication what the status is on this, are bikes allowed to pass?
3)This will be our first big trip on the bikes into africa, thus any other info that might be of help?
Thanks guys