Possible? van Reenen - de Beers, Collings & Railway Road

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
Kymco (all models)
I have a dream my Brothers and Sisters, I have a dream!

A few weeks ago I was involved in making the GPS tracks and Road Books for the upcoming (May?) Kawasaki Explore Newcastle DS Rally. I am no longer friendly with Kawasaki or Explore, and won't do the rally, nor the preparation, but we were planning four mountain passes (Mullers, Normandien, Collings and de Beers) two of which I did on last year's rally.

I am keen to ride de Beers (done in a car - road upgrade may be issue) and Collings (never done)

Also, a few weeks ago I stayed over in Swinburne (Montrose) and was talking to one of the local guys at the bar. I asked him about roads in the area, and he said there is a rideable road that is on the old railway line, from which they salvaged the tracks and sleepers and graded the ballast. He says it starts in van Reenen, goes through three or four tunnels, and ends at Besters. He says it is worth doing. He gave me the contact no of the owner of the Green Lantern in van Reenen. I called him and he confirms the road and says he could guide & draw pictures.

Cant find the exact road on Garmin Mapsource topo & rec. 

Now I want to go explore the area over a weekend and a plan is starting to take shape.

I envisage going down on a Friday PM to Riverside lodge in Swinburne - It is blerry basic but blerry cheap (R150 ppd bed or R300 for 3 bed flatlet per night) and I have Scottish ancestry and low standards. Plan to trailer the bike as N3 is not lekka on Friday pm.

On sat ride Collings down and de Beers up ending in v Reenen. (135Km) and then ask this Lew guy to talk us through the route. Ride it down to Besters and then up on N3 (or vice versa). Should not be time problem even at my slow speed.

On Sun am possible to do breakfast run to Clarens and back (235Km) on tar via Golden Gate. Head back Sun pm.

I think a good size for the scout group would be four to eight bikes. I have a two-bike trailer and access to another. If it is worthwile we could do a whole WD thingy at later date.

Thinking some time end April before gets too cold.

Anyone know the area/road or keen to explore?

Peter

Attachments

• Route.jpg
    Route.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 263

Latest posts