• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Wild Dog Adventure Riding and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Possibly looking for RHS head for my 1200GS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaun

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GS
Firstly.... a brief story resulting in my request for me looking for a RHS Head for my 1200GS.

2 weeks back, while dropping SWAMBO off @ her work, I started my bike & literally 2sec later I heard a "distinctive sound" coming from the RHS of the engine, of what I can only describe as the "Cluck,cluck,cluck....." of either very loose tappets or a valve knocking  :eek: :eek: :eek:. Immediately switched off the engine. I managed to get hold of Shane Hoskins (who used to work @ Helderberg Yamaha) & after explaining to him what had happened & what it sounded like....he advised me to get the bike to Helderberg Yamaha for them to check out.

Long story.....short..... we got my scooter to them.....various checks/tests/examinations were done/tried/tested......& it was discovered that the "bottom exhaust valve seat" had somehow failed, & in turn causing the valve to get damaged. Luckily NO damage to the piston. Head was sent to (reputable) Engineering works who confirmed valve seat failure & valve damage.

Till that very moment I have had No symptoms, not loss in power, etc, etc. leading up to this event.

Today I had the unpleasant task of opening up the email, to have a look @ the Estimate Quote for the repair:  :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

"2x valves, exhaust gaskets, head gasket, engineering works/repair, valve stem seals + labour" = ONE FRIKKING LOT OF MOELA I wasn't expecting to have to part with right now.

I have to be honest.... that I am a little hesitant to go the engineering route (to have that failed valve seat replaced/repaired) even though it would be done by the very reputable engineering company......only to have it playing on my mind in the background all the time..... as to possibly when is it might fail again. Might be never  I know.....but still.

Second option is the reason for me asking here in this thread, as to whether anyone of you fellow WD's perhaps either have or know of where I can get a second hand complete RHS head for my scooter, that I can rather recondition & then simply fit onto my motor. I most definitely feel/think that possible this option makes more cost effective & reliable sense.

Your opinion/advice & possible a second hand RHS head for my scooter will be highly appreciated.  ;) ;D ;D

Shaun