Pre spring canals ride

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sidetrack

Worshond
Reaction score
The worst of the winter chill seems to be behind us, Wiledog X and myself decided to ride the canals. I have not been to them in a couple of years so it was decided to do the Northern and Western routes. We ended up doing about 300km total for the day and saw only a small mud monster and skid demon  :biggrin: My old Garmin truncated the western route but we still managed to stay on course.

First pic of the day

IMG_5233_zpsr4dgzjk0.jpg

Second stop for the day, droe wors and other snacks came out

IMG_5234_zpswtw9xllq.jpg

Wiledog said it was good to take his DR for a spin, he actually bought the bike from me around 2010 I think

IMG_5235_zpspvmbqmct.jpg

Only water crossing for the day, local doing it like a boss !

IMG_5240_zps90soisly.jpg

First rains only expected around end of September but two riders and the dust is still manageble. The countryside turned into bushveld as we headed in the direction of Rustenburg

IMG_5241_zpskv9mwuh8.jpg

The obligatory stop at Beestekraal, a hamburger and chips and we were on our way again. Wiledog was cautious as he only managed to find a garage with 93 octane petrol, I told him he is on a DR don't sweat it :)

IMG_5243_zpsi88qszoq.jpg

This was close to Roodekoppies dam, might even be the Crocodile river. They are not kidding as we saw a couple of crocodile farms and warning signs all over the place. We were actually on the wrong route here but not a big deal as it still turned out to be a fun piece of road

IMG_5244_zpsgrltlwsf.jpg

Looks just like Rust de Winter's vegetation

IMG_5245_zpspc5fzmih.jpg

Heading back towards Brits and passing alot of rocky koppies, most were being used for granite production. Bit of a shame as it pretty much ruins the countryside

IMG_5246_zpsawrjxea3.jpg

Last stretch of dirt around Schurweberg before heading home, good way to spend a Sunday. Both bike ran well and no punctures or get off's !

IMG_5247_zpspcy0nnfk.jpg

Nice. Would love the track. I had memory loss two weeks ago and ended up on too much tar. Like to join the next one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XRBradman said:
Nice. Would love the track. I had memory loss two weeks ago and ended up on too much tar. Like to join the next one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Will add track tomorrow when I'm back on the pc  :thumleft:

Yes its always lekker to do that canals, thanks for sharing. I will do it another day as well and also always stop at beestekraak stasie and chart with the other bikers.

Nice little report  :thumleft: You make the canals look so much nicer than I remember; makes me want to go back for another go  :ricky:

P.S. Looks like the 660's front E07 is on backwards

iamgigglz said:
Nice little report  :thumleft: You make the canals look so much nicer than I remember; makes me want to go back for another go  :ricky:

P.S. Looks like the 660's front E07 is on backwards
Good observation, it is - long story though I doubt it makes much difference.

Route we used as posted by Beemer Mike a while ago.

Attachments

• BothCanalsRock.gpx
    389.4 KB
I have never done the Canals - Sunday was my first time. I really enjoyed it, the farm countryside is beautiful, even in winter. Those canals are amazing, some places it runs a bit higher than the road, and you seem to be riding level with the water.
The weather was perfect for riding, and I must say the dust wasn't that bad. I just lost one indicator on some of the sinkplaat... the other one also rattled loose - first time that has happened.  ::)

Thanks for the ride and pics Sidetrack, we must do so again before the true mudfest arrives LOL!!

Attachments

• CM_canals79.jpg
    CM_canals79.jpg
    231.6 KB
  • CM_canals80.jpg
    CM_canals80.jpg
    228.8 KB
wiledog_X said:
I have never done the Canals - Sunday was my first time. I really enjoyed it, the farm countryside is beautiful, even in winter. Those canals are amazing, some places it runs a bit higher than the road, and you seem to be riding level with the water.
The weather was perfect for riding, and I must say the dust wasn't that bad. I just lost one indicator on some of the sinkplaat... the other one also rattled loose - first time that has happened.  ::)

Thanks for the ride and pics Sidetrack, we must do so again before the true mudfest arrives LOL!!
We will do the other Transvaal favorites like Breedsnek and Loskop as it gets greener  :deal: