PTA - Loskop - Dullstroom: The wife, Wildebees and me!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha XT 660 Z
Following a ride report last week of this route I decided to head that way too.

Also, it was the first trip with my new 660z.

Sunday me and the wife decided to head out through Rayton and tackle some dirt on the way to loskop.

Bike: 660z Tenere
Distance: 680km
Cost ex fuel: +- R600

Day 1, Part 1

From Rayton, on the way to Cullinan, we turned right onto some dirt. (still inside rayton really). This seems to have been a little detour to the tar.
We continued all the way to Verena. Here we turned right and got onto the dirt just off the R544. The road is tarred for about 5km’s. Then it turns into the most beautiful winding dirt track through the valley.
We passed baboons and buck running over the road.
As we climbed up the pass we passed sable antelope at the top. From low riverbed valley to high savannah plains. Absolutely fantastic! This road then leads past the back of the informal settlement and leads into the tar heading to Loskop Dam.

At the Forever resort we enjoyed a crappy burger next to the pool. And soon headed out again.

Day 1, Part 2

Hit a lot of dirt on the way to Dullstroom.
From Loskop we followed the dirt road heading east all the way to the R33.We stuck on it till the R555 turnoff.
Once on this we quickly turned right onto the dirt that goes all the way to Dullstroom.

Entered Dullstroom on the dirt pass from the west. This pass has lots of tennis ball rocks and is quite slow going. But the view is fantastic.

After thepass it’s a long straight on dirt into Dullstroom. Here we passed 2 road bikers, riding their superbikes, kitted in racing gear (one guy with a white suit, white matching boots, white matching helmet), doing 15km/h slip sliding across the dirt! They looked so desperate for some grip.
I had a good lag flying past them doing 100!

In Dullstroom we stayed in the Duck and Trout (single room for 2). I was pleasantly surprised. A little fire place, comfortable beds, pretty view. All for R360 (for both of us).

We had dinner and some beers and promptly fell asleep in front of the fire at 20:00!

The next day we left on the highway back to Jozi to pick up the kids.

PS. I decided to name the bike Wildebees seeing that it sorta looks like one (big chest and little behind) and it stampedes through the bush!

Pics to come...

The routes as well as the beginning of the trip!

Attachments

• PTA Loskop.jpg.jpg
    PTA Loskop.jpg.jpg
    167 KB
  • Loskop Dullstroom.jpg.jpg
    Loskop Dullstroom.jpg.jpg
    63.3 KB
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    182.4 KB
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    165.7 KB
Loskop and the pass into Dullstroom...

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    182.9 KB
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    198.7 KB
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    211.4 KB
The Duck and Trout room as well as drinks and dinner. Nice fire!

PS. Those beds were moved together  ;)

Attachments

• 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    214 KB
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    77.9 KB
  • 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    76.3 KB
  • 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    88.4 KB
  • 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    91.2 KB
The sunrise the next day. Wildebees was still snoozing.

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    43.5 KB
duck and trout is a lekker lil plekkie ... and the resturant has groooooveeeeeee  food 
:thumleft:

Mooi fotos. Watse monument is daardie hand ?
Hoekom julle beddens geskuif daar is dan so n lekker kaggel  O0

:ricky:

punisher said:
duck and trout is a lekker lil plekkie ... and the resturant has groooooveeeeeee  food 
:thumleft:

I was pleasantly surprised! Really expected a run down room next to the toilets in the pub...

IDR said:
Wat sê Doenitnet vannie bike? 

En jy? ;D

Ou Netta se die agter seat is baie gemaklik.

En ekt hom gelove op die grond! Sou gelike het om alleen te ry vir 'n rukkie sodat ek rerig dit kon GUN!

subie said:

Daai monument is opgestel in 1999 deur Raport Lesers of iemand.

Dis 'n herdenking aan die bouers van die dam wal, en meer spesifiek om te wys wat 'n nasie kan doen as almal hard werk....of so iets.

Dankie. Net duskant Calvinia het ek n monument raakgeloop om te herdenk waar die boervolk die wapen neergele het en nou hul vryheidstryd met die pen voortsit. Kan jy glo ? Moet die pic soek hier op my komper

Justin said:
subie said:

Daai monument is opgestel in 1999 deur Raport Lesers of iemand.

Dis 'n herdenking aan die bouers van die dam wal, en meer spesifiek om te wys wat 'n nasie kan doen as almal hard werk....of so iets.

Justin said:
IDR said:

En jy? ;D

En ekt hom gelove op die grond! Sou gelike het om alleen te ry vir 'n rukkie sodat ek rerig dit kon GUN!
Hierdie gee my nou idees (Ertresia was hoeka mal oor my broer se Z toe ons dit vir so 480km spin :mwink: gevat het)

mtbbiker said:
Justin said:
IDR said:

En jy? ;D

Hierdie gee my nou idees (Ertresia was hoeka mal oor my broer se Z toe ons dit vir so 480km spin :mwink: gevat het)

Hehe, ek neem aan jyt vir jou broer gese jy gaan gou cafe toe om melk te koop? :D