Radiator leak

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bliknêrs

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR650L
The last two times I went for a ride I noticed coolant dripping from the bottom left hand side of the radiator. It stopped after a while, I got the impression as the engine warmed up, and I was hoping it's not serious but today I noticed that the fluid level in my reservoir has dropped, so it was time to do something.

So after my short 50km ride (roads very muddy) ride I got back and decided to see if I can find the problem. Got all the tools ready and sat on a chair looking at the bike and making plans.

Firstly getting to the screws that hold the fairing is a pain because it sits right behind the crash bars. If you use a short hex tool you will scratch the pain if you're not careful, so it took a while getting them out.

Basically I wanted to see whats going on, where is the coolant coming from and then decide whether I will start stripping panels off or not. I hoped it wouldn't be necessary to take to may things off so soldiered on.

When the panel was loose I took a peak and lo and behold it was my lucky day. On the first photo you can see the leak from the hose. The photo was taken from the bottom up. Look towards the right in the picture.
It was leaking from the big hose at the top which meant I might just need a long screwdriver, a torch and a bit of luck!
It was quite tight but I managed to tighten it somewhat and started the bike, let it idle up to 2 bars and it didn't leak.

Then the grown-ups complained about the bike idling on a Sunday afternoon, so I had to shut it down.

So although I haven't taken it for a ride yet, I won't claim victory but as you can see from the pic it's definitely the spot. If it still after a rice leaks I will have to take more stuff off to do it properly!

Also, while taking the seat off I gave the bike a good once over and as can be seen from pic two the screws holding the sub frame on needed a "bit of tightening"!!.

Maybe that was the cause of my high speed wobbles will see after the next ride.

Also can't wait for my fork brace from Louis!

Attachments

• Swellendam-20120610-00038.jpg
    Swellendam-20120610-00038.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 51
  • Swellendam-20120610-00039.jpg
    Swellendam-20120610-00039.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 55