Rain, Road markings and ABS.....Sphincter clenching moments!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pierredb

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
On my way to work this morning I had my first ever 'moment" on wet roads and painted road markings.

Coming down Conrad Drive in Randburg and approaching a traffic light at 80Km's/h (yes I know the speed limit is 60!)  when it became  clear that an "Ar**h*le" was about to turn in front of me. I grabbed a handful and felt the bike settle quite nicely and controllably until I hit the large white  arrow. Then things got interesting.............!! :eek: :eek: :eek: For the first time ever the ABS on both wheels kicked in simultaneously! Now I have experienced this on the back wheel quite often and never felt the least bit of concern. This was VERY different!  I was aboard a sliding 300KG plus missile!!  "Sphincter clenching moment" is an inaccurate description of my physiological reaction to the situation as many other body part simultaneoulsy clenched and unclenched at a cadence frighteningly similar to the ABS system of the bike...............and then it was over!  It probably only took half a second but I will forever be grateful for the ABS. Once I was over the painted area the bike continued to slow down and stopped only slightly into the intersection. The F#@&%#g Idiot never even said sorry! I will forever be grateful for the ABS as there is no way in hell I have the skill to stop in such a controlled fashion under those circumstances. No ABS would have meant  losing it on the white arrow and T-boning the Ar**h*le. Thank you ABS!!I will never complain about the inconvenience of having to switch it off when going offroad again! :D :D