repacking my van der linde exhaust

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_BOBNOB

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
okay i have been wanting to do this for ages and just never got around to it

i bought the pipe 2nd hand so i dont know how many km's it has done on the old packing

but i have put 20k on the exhaust since i got it

so either way it was due for a repack and i did not like the sound any more - at idle it was okay but at speed it was starting to get very harsh

i have read about different packing methods - it comes down to 3 types of packing

1. premade repack pack for a specific exhaust - you remove the encap slide the old packing out and slide the new packing in - done
2. repack with fibre glass packing
3. repack with steelwool and fibre glass combination

i decide to give option 3 a go - if it works great if after 6 months its shot i'll try option 2

i dont know what the difference would be between option 2 and 3

remember safety first!

1. wear gloves
2. mask
3. etc

most importantly when working with fibreglass DONT EVER EVER SCRATCH YOU BALLS!!!

;D

took some time to get the damn pipe of the bike  :-\

the fit is extremely tight!

DSCF0008.jpg

next up drill out the rivets on the end cap

DSCF0009.jpg

use a rubber mallet and persuade the cap to get of the pipe

DSCF0011.jpg

and out comes the old packing - i can now understand why it needs to be repacked

most of the packing was baked hard from all the carbon and stuff - it was no longer soft and fluffy but hard and brittle

DSCF0012.jpg

here is the guts of the van der linde

DSCF0013.jpg

DSCF0014.jpg

i always thought the pipe was a straight through pipe but now i see that it has an insert that looks like a pinched perforated pipe

here is the supplies

DSCF0016.jpg

stainless steel pop rivets
fibreglass exhaust packing
steelwool (i only used one packet)

first up the thin layer of steelwool tide down with some thin wire

DSCF0017.jpg

next up the packing

cut it to size and use masking tape to keep it in place - the masking tape will burn off eventually

DSCF0018.jpg

i then used weed eater cut line to pull it all together - to get the pipe to slip over easy

once the pipe is over jank the weed eater line out

apply a little bit of hi-temp gasket maker to the caps and put everything back together like you found it  :thumleft:

all done!

DSCF0021.jpg

how does it sound ???

i dont know - i'll fit the pipe tomorrow  :deal:

on scale of difficulty i would say its very easy - same as fitting chain and sprockets  :thumleft: