Road into Namibia

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charlw

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 Adventure
I travelled to Swakopmund from East London in a rather different way. My mother in Port Elizabeth was relocating to Namibia. She has a 1.4 Citi Golf that needed to be driven up. I rode my bike to PE and left it there while I drove her Golf up. No air conditioner in the middle of the summer - no worries. A cooler box full of ice that was repeatedly stuck into my buff that I wore as a skull cap did the trick.

Joined up with my brother in his Colt4x4 and travelled back through the desert instead of the boring B1.

Here are some photos of the trip. I took about 1000 photos and these are ones that show the state of the road. North of Swakopmund in the Brandberg area there are lots of very sharp rocks and south of Swakopmund radical sand corrugations and one Isuzu did not make a corner. Hope they were all OK?

Rock shatters in the desert because of very extreme heat and cold, leaving very sharp rocks that slice tyres.
charlwessels

River bed of the Ugab River. Five vehicles were stuck or lost further down this road and we were advised to turn back as we only had one spare tyre.
charlwessels

Try again - here is the first photo showing rock shards and above is where we turned back. Ranger was flying an aircraft looking for stranded vehicles.
IMG_2512.jpg

Road near Brandberg
IMG_2596.jpg

Also Brandberg road - I belive the Bushmen call this kaiingveld - refers to the black colour of burned fat on a fire. What about the heat?
IMG_2601.jpg

Sharpest rocks I have seen ever
IMG_2613.jpg

Close up photo of the sharp rocks
IMG_2611.jpg

My favourite photo from the trip - turning back onto the "main" road from a track we went down to explore a kloof. This photo is like a desert version of that Microsoft screensaver with the green fields and clouds
IMG_2636.jpg

Now on the road between Walvis and Solitaire. Adjusting tyre pressure for sand corrugations.
IMG_2767.jpg

Interesting landscape with red longitudinal sand dunes snaking over the flat plain.
IMG_2769.jpg

Some okes on BMW's, envied them as I was stuck in a cage.
IMG_2773.jpg

This oke still waiting for his spare part to be delivered to Solitaire.
IMG_2790.jpg]

Road can be treacherous - hope all ended well for this driver?
IMG_2801.jpg

The road between Sesreim and Betta.
IMG_2890.jpg

Almost every photo is so remarkable, one feels like it should be in a calender or printed somewhere for more people to share.
IMG_2921.jpg

Karretjiemense. I wonder if they also get tyres shredded? Hope horses are shoed correctly.
IMG_2930.jpg

Beautiful road near Aus
IMG_2961.jpg

Long road outside Aus.
IMG_2974.jpg

Near Rosh Pinah.
IMG_3113.jpg

Sendelingsdrif at Orange River
IMG_3116.jpg

Nice trip Charl and some excellent pics

Looks like a dream bike trip to do,maybe soon!

Some awesome photo's. Were you using a filter on your camera?

Hi Buff. Yes had a UV filter on a Canon 30D.

Hi Thump. My guess is those rocks were initially sedimentary layers and tectonic forces caused the layers to bend to a vertical position and the added heat and pressure changed the rock to metamorphic rock. Probably shale to slate.

Hi Fargo. Would love to go back there on a bike.

Hey, I recognise the bikers in the pic!
It'smeee and Shakes.  What are the chances?
Which road was this?

If I may be so forward allow me to add some pictures of Namibian roads and sights from this past December.
We did almost 5500km in 18 days and had an absolute blast.

P1090231.jpg

P1090420.jpg

P1090514.jpg

P1090706.jpg

P1090718.jpg

P1090902.jpg

P1090917.jpg

P1090942.jpg

P1100067.jpg

P1100167.jpg

P1100284.jpg

P1100476.jpg

P1100521.jpg

P1100600-1.jpg

P1100699.jpg

P1100877.jpg

P1100881.jpg

P1110019.jpg

P1110034.jpg

P1110157.jpg

P1110221.jpg

P1110312.jpg

P1110344.jpg

P1110358.jpg

ResizeofP1090270-71Stiched.jpg

Schnelga said:
Hey, I recognise the bikers in the pic!
It'smeee and Shakes.  What are the chances?
Which road was this?

Hi Schnelga. This was on the Solitaire road. There was another biker a few kms ahead of you guys.

MrBig said:
If I may be so forward allow me to add some pictures of Namibian roads and sights from this past December.
We did almost 5500km in 18 days and had an absolute blast.

Hi Mr Big

Great photos. Landscapes in Namibia are huge - my lens could not take it all in. Awesome place. Although it is a desert, the word "desert' does it no justice. It is rich in scenery, resources and people.

I went to Nam 6 times last year it is my home from home.

Your pics is really good in capturing the area.

Those sharp rocks where did you take the pics?

The rocks from Ai-ais toeard rosh Pinah and sendeling are Sendimentlayers from the lake that was apparently formed here after the Ice age.

Hi Tau. I took the sharp rocks pics just south of Brandberg. (near Uis)

We were 4 dogs travelling thru Nam, Caprivi, Zambia and Bots.  Crop Sprang, Cable man, Shakes and I.
I was the slow coach at the back!
Seeing the overturned car was disconcerting but the scenery was spectacular.
Great to see your pics, we'll be doing a RR shortly, check it out!