Roadside Assistance Resurrected

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueBull2007

Bachelor Dog
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
Many moons ago with great intentions, the roadside assistance project was started

The idea was to collate the contact details of wd's who could help out broken or broken down dogs anywhere in the country.

Everyone loved the idea and pm'd MrBig their details and what they could provide. Some could provide trailers, others spares etc.
This quickly became an administrative nightmare and basically the idea was put on hold nearly 10 months ago, thread got locked until something was sorted out, wham, bam and that was it.

Anyway,

There are plenty of really awesome wilddogs here who really want to help other dogs in need. The challenge is even if we are willing to offer our services, it not really helpful if I am in Punda Maria and the dog in need is in Clanwilliam. So how do we get around this conundrum? How do we get roadside assistance when we get into trouble?

The answer is simple in my view:

Just make a post "Help urgently needed" right here in General Bike Related Banter, or phone someone who will on your behalf.

1) There are always people reading this section 24hrs/day 365 days/yr, I know this because I am normally on the prowl while most of the Wd's are getting their beauty sleep and even at 3 in the morning there are folks popping in and out.

2) The people on the forum know people who know people in the area where you may be stuck.

3) You will get the quickest possible response.

If I have a list of names of people in George who can help a person in need on a Saturday afternoon I would start phoning, but the chances of me (or anyone else for that  matter) being available to make the calls when the need arises is low. Organizing shifts/rosters does not work, and it does not sound like much fun either.

So lets make use of this forum to sort out our roadside assistance needs instead. Lets say someone has an off in the Long Tom Pass and need to his bike rescued.  Just make a post here, that help is needed and soon enough someone will know someone who he can phone who might be able to help.

Note, that this is not to be confused with me wanting to ship my bike to cape town. There is a WD courier section that deals with that.

Any comments or suggestions on this idea?